DC reboot

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nearly every memory I have of my youth is somehow connected to comics or art. I inherited my love of comics from my Mom. At flea markets she would buy me brown grocery bags FULL of comics with missing or sliced covers. Remember those? Retail stores only had to return the cover, or even only the top half of the cover containing the title, in order to get their refund on unsold books. And I had classics! I even had Iron Man #1... mostly! Pages yellowed and wilted from humidity and smelling of garage or attic dust, with mangled or missing covers... they were AWESOME!

If he'd just stopped going about himself there, I would have probably gone into reading his version of events from his perspective. But, it just felt like everything he said after that, was him justifying to himself why he should be allowed to make a living from the comic book industry.

Edit: I couldn't read it. Not only is the text hard to read on that plain black background, but him PUTTING random WORDS in CAPS, just hurt my eyes.

By no means am I saying Scott's story ideas and opinions should have gone ignored, and he's certainly a storyteller. However, when you've literally only written five comic books (at the time, and all of them had established co-writers) you do not quote a writing manual to a man who has written nearly 200 comic books. Doing so makes you an utter asshole.

That's, alright, nothing more. it won't get me to buy the comic on the strength of that cover, and I think a lot of casual readers will feel the same. It doesn't really jump off the page, it's by no means bad, just not very good.

It's not that it's outright BAD, but it's nowhere NEAR Perez' standard. To say that he's capable of better is a severe understatement.

That's, alright, nothing more. it won't get me to buy the comic on the strength of that cover, and I think a lot of casual readers will feel the same. It doesn't really jump off the page, it's by no means bad, just not very good.

It's not that it's outright BAD, but it's nowhere NEAR Perez' standard. To say that he's capable of better is a severe understatement.

Yeah, I'll agree with that.

Ditto on the boobie hole, but not just for cheesecake reasons. I really liked the ongoing Power Girl book, it had a strong cast, good writing etc. If that Power Girl had one day said "Hey, I'm going to change my outfit" I'd have said fine. I like the character, she'd probably have good reasons for making the switch after such a long time, I'd be fine with it. By changing the look post-reboot I've lost the connection I had with Power Girl previously. Some characters have maintained a continuity like Hal Jordan or Batman, some like Superman have not. Iconic characters can survive that kind of reboot. Take away the most distinct aspect of PG (her look) and it implies a complete reboot. Hence any redeeming interest I'd built is lost.

All of which might be as reasonable an explaination as "it represents a hole in my heart because I don't know who I am" but hey, it's my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...