dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

So they'll be dead for at least 20 years, but only if they're slaughtered on panel and it wasn't a clone, illusion or trick of some kind. Which most comic book deaths are because that's a storytelling device. Plus of course in DC you can often talk to the dead in some capacity.

It's a nice moral stance, but I don't see it working.

So they'll be dead for at least 20 years, but only if they're slaughtered on panel and it wasn't a clone, illusion or trick of some kind. Which most comic book deaths are because that's a storytelling device. Plus of course in DC you can often talk to the dead in some capacity.

I'm cool with fake-outs, i.e. what happened with Kyle Rayner in Blackest Night, where he was technically dead for all of two minutes in-between issues.

I do wonder, too, if this was part of why DC brought the older heroes (Barry, Hal, Arthur, etc) back. It seems a little obvious in hindsight that a lot of what Johns did in Blackest Night (where this "dead is dead now" rule was laid down in the end of issue #8) was pre-planned going back to GL: Rebirth. Maybe this is a way of "restarting" the current DC generation, and in another 10-20 years Barry will die again and not come back until the next generational reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this interesting.

Didio:

"Where I stand, on all of this, is that we're going to be extraordinarily judicious about using the "death" in comics. So if somebody dies now, they're done. That's the official rule now. They don't come back. It's not going to be a cheap trick to tell stories, so that's a good thing."

Uh huh... :rolleyes:

I've been regularly reading...

Action

Aquaman

Batman

Flash

Green Lantern

Justice league

Nightwing

Red Hood

Supergirl

Wonder Woman

There's a few others I've been semi-regularly reading, or catching up with in 2-3 month chunks. Superman finally got good with the new creative team in #7, so I'll probably keep up with that regularly, and I've been meaning to start reading Green Arrow now that it's switched teams as well.

I've sorta kept up with Batman & Robin, but mostly I've switched to trades.

Overall, I feel the reboot has been a failed experiment. It captured my interest for a few months, then I became apathetic towards the whole thing. Which is where I was with DC pre-reboot. (Then again, I'm kinda feeling the same way with Marvel at the moment, so maybe it's superhero comics in general, and not specifically DC, that I'm pulling away from.)

I think DC had the right idea, but at the end of the day a good book is a good book, and a bad book is a bad book. The reboot wasn't going to magically make George Perez's Superman a better book. The good side of it all, though, is that the "clean slate" now allows for a lot of story potential, like the revamping of Wonder Woman and Supergirl's origin stories. We just have to hope those stories end up being good. It's certainly encouraging that the lower-quality books are either getting cut or revamped, like Green Arrow, Superman, and Men of War.

I'm reading all of the Bat-Books as per requirement for the Batman Universe Comic-Cast, but out of all of them I'm only digging Batman at this point. Batman and Robin was solid until #7 where Peter Tomasi went nucking futs and out of control. Batwoman's not a bad book, but not terribly interesting currently. Nightwing's a missed opportunity. Batwing's mediocre and uninspired. Batgirl's still vicious betrayal, and generall sucks out loud all around. The Dark Knight is a jumbled mess. Detective Comics features Tony Daniel's total incompetance at writing Batman.

The fact that so many creators have jumped ship, the continuity seems to be just thrown together, the stories generally aren't very interesting AND on top of all that, the flagerant sexism is just abundant in the books has taken its toll. I agree with Mike, the reboot was a failure. It served as a get-rich-quick scheme that petered out 5 months in. Everything about it feels like the people involved thought this up over a weekend as opposed to months and months in advance, and when I asked Grant Morrison about it at SDCC last summer, he all but confirmed it. It's just frustrating.

• 1 month later...

I've completely given up on DC Comics since the reboot. I spent so much time getting emotionally invested the post-Crisis universe, learning far more about it than I ever possibly needed to, and now I just can't bring myself to care about a new continuity. Especially when 95% of the creative teams do absolutely nothing for me.

There's a few bright spots here and there (Batman is phenomenal, several others are very good) but overall the hype has kind of faded, and after eight months there's been almost no real development or improvement in a good 90% of the stories.

I think DC's on drugs or something. I'm gonna go hang at Marvel's place until they clean up their act.