DC reboot

dc20willsave

this can only be a good thing.

That is not even kind of true. There are a.hundred ways to make this a clusterfuck.

If this is a new universe with a bold new direction, retelling old stories (i.e. rehashing exactly what the Ultimate books are guilty of) is pointless.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is not even kind of true. There are a.hundred ways to make this a clusterfuck.

If this is a new universe with a bold new direction, retelling old stories (i.e. rehashing exactly what the Ultimate books are guilty of) is pointless.

2 things:

One, Scott Snyder is a badass.

Two, you can't say "this is a new world where everything is different" and yet not actually show the proper backstory to illustrate how things are different. Without a doubt, flashback-origin books like Batgirl #0 go a long way towards establishing the New 52 timeline as a real working story, where the in media res method of the #1s in 2011 mostly confused the issue. Origin stories are, in large part, much of what the New 52 is lacking.

And fine, let's use your Ultimate example. Is the Ultimate origin of Spider-Man not still a great story that was worth telling in 2000? I have the hardcover sitting on my shelf; I can tell you absolutely yes. Now, as for the later Ultimate stories, where everything became "let's just adapt the old characters/stories in kinda-ish different ways just for the sake of doing it," then yes, the entire universe started flopping. But if there's actually a story there, then that changes everything entirely. From what Scott Snyder's said, this is looking to be a lot like Green Lantern: Secret Origin, where it updates parts of the origin, keeps others the same, and at the same time lays a ton of groundwork for future planned stories. And, like I said before, it's not Year One over again anyway, because Year One was a Gordon story guest-starring Batman.

According to his twitter, Andy Diggle has quit Action Comics. He cites professional reasons for his exit.

Edit: According to Alex Segura, Tony Daniel will now be the writer and artist of Action Comics, at least for a little while. Daniel has previously written Batman, Battle for the Cowl, and Detective Comics for DC, these books have looked pretty, but the stories have been downright awful.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/20/dc-confirm-andy-diggles-departure-from-actiuon-comics/

Starting from the top down, there needs to be major changes at DC Comics.

Shit drops downhill, not up. The management at DC is so focused on numbers, and the editors sometimes are so focused on getting the story they want out, rather than a good story, that links up with the characters history, keeps in line with the rest of the DC Universe at that stage, and is free of spelling and grammar, and art mistakes that actually makes the book enjoyable.

I think the stuff at DC is going to get a lot worse, with lots of titles having low retailer sales, and more people walking off books, before anything gets any better.

DC has sort of become Lindsay Lohan.

For the most part, I don't give a shit about her/it, but there's a shining gem in her/its catalogue (Mean Girls/Dial H) that I bear an unapologetic and mountain-top shouting love for. However, it is still sickly and, at times, evilly delightful to see the trainwreck she/it has become.

Seriously though, when guys like Diggle and Fialkov are deciding to walk away, in a move that could totally hurt their career at this point, there is a serious issue. Those two guys have everything to gain by putting a couple more years in at DC to build their portfolio before pulling a Brubaker. If it sucks that bad, then there is no hope for DC.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/21/john-stewart-he-lives/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So, supposedly DC heard the outcry of support for John Stewart (Like when Gail Simone was fired) and have re-evaluated the situation (Like when Gail Simone was fired) and have returned to the original status quo.

If true, and DC have fallen to the impact of the internet in about 36 hours, then that company has worse issues than editors who think their better writers, than the writers they hire.

Something is fundamentally broken at DC Comics right now. We don't have the entire picture, and chances are we never will. But there is something catastrophically wrong over there, and we're going to see more insanity before things either get fixed or fall apart.

There have been rumors that Trinity War has been through at least 6 or 7 permutations since they started sowing the seeds. I wish I could blame the New 52 reboot on this but then I remember how Nick Spencer got kicked off of Supergirl two months after he was announced. Somethings been rotten in the state of DC for years now. We're just finally seeing the spots.

There have been rumors that Trinity War has been through at least 6 or 7 permutations since they started sowing the seeds. I wish I could blame the New 52 reboot on this but then I remember how Nick Spencer got kicked off of Supergirl two months after he was announced. Somethings been rotten in the state of DC for years now. We're just finally seeing the spots.

Trinity War was never announced to have a set start date, so them teasing it, without having a full idea, is not a real issue, to me atleast. Them announcing creators for books, only for said creators to say "Fuck this, I quit" is an issue.

Speaking of Nick Spencer, he recently revealed one of his issue plans for Supergirl, and yeah, seems he to has dealt with the annoying DC editors:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/nick-spencer-shows-supergirl-plans.html

Dan DiDio is a wonderfully charming guy; I've had a one-on-one lunch with him, and, from that, I can see why people fall into his cult of personality. However, I also got the sense that he'd be an awful boss. From that hour we spent together, I can't say if he'd micromanage or be too hands off, but, either way, I knew I really didn't want to work for him.

Also, have you read his stories? He's a shit storyteller. No leader of a creative company should be that consistently horrible. If the man can't tell his own stories, he can't be expected to oversee those of dozens of writers and editors.

Such was the popularity of that incarnation that when Ryan Reynolds was announced as the star of the Green Lantern movie, much of the online response was outraged that he was being played by a white actor.

Really? Fuck your lies Johnston. Where was this outrage? I never saw it.

Thanks to Rebirth, and the following run on GL, Hal Jordan was one of the most popular comic characters at the Big Two at the time. I agree with the bullshit regarding Fialkov, but what Johnston wrote there amounts to race-baiting.

I saw plenty of outrage at that, actually. I even randomly met a guy at Barnes and Noble once who mentioned he was upset that GL in the movie wasn't black.

Regarding Didio, what's worst is that it seems that he's the only one in complete control of stories at DC. Jim Lee holds the same position, but he's entirely focused on his art and the multimedia DC stuff; it looks like he's entirely hands-off storywise. Diane Nelson doesn't seem to be concerned with anything other than stuff like DC Nation. So Didio is left to run DC like a drunk driver.