DC reboot

dc20willsave

I'm amazed they aren't toxic to kids, painted up in chinese lead or something. And DC would just say "Well comics are for 40 year olds so you shouldn't give them to kids".

Actually, that's basically what's happened. DC is toxic to an all ages audience.

I seriously don't even know what to think anymore. Even when they aren't trying to piss anyone off, the Universe just shits all over them right now.

I fully expect at SDCC's big Six Man Tag Match next year, Bob Harras will turn on DiDio and Jim Lee, hitting them with big boots and leg drops, before ripping off his DC t-shirt, revealing he had been with Marvel, all along. Axel will then take the dirty pin on DiDio, before he, Quesada, Brevoort and Harras announce the formation of the M.W.O..

Post of the day?

Seconded.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fully expect at SDCC's big Six Man Tag Match next year, Bob Harras will turn on DiDio and Jim Lee, hitting them with big boots and leg drops, before ripping off his DC t-shirt, revealing he had been with Marvel, all along. Axel will then take the dirty pin on DiDio, before he, Quesada, Brevoort and Harras announce the formation of the M.W.O..

Post of the Day! :bowdown:

New record: novelist - and former Dread Media guest - Brian Keene announced that due to not being a "good fit with the current editorial team," he has dropped off of 2 and possibly a third ongoing series for next year which HASN'T EVEN BEEN ANNOUNCED YET!

He was paid a "kill fee" so he can't talk about it much more than that.

Not learning a single thing from C2E2, DC has decided that they're not doing a booth for NYCC.

I don't understand that at all. Marvel has all but stopped pretending they're anything but a trademark farm for Disney and pours the vast majority of their efforts into movies and animation, but DC, as much as I don't care for their product, is spending a lot of energy into keeping their comic line visible. Not trying to excite people about their product and deciding not to do the bare minimum of marketing by having a booth at a con of this size makes no sense whatsoever.

And the thing is, Marvel's booth the last few years at C2E2 has been big. They have events, photo-ops, music, clips. DC's booth was just as eye catching and having a booth there helps you get psyched for the product, whether it's a movie or a tv show. Not having something there means that people are going to leave paying more attention and money to your competition.

• 1 month later...

This is going to change everything. Outside of the huge loss of jobs for DC staffers, the industry as a whole is never going to be the same.

For fifty years, if someone got fed up with DC or Marvel, they could march out of their offices, walk across the street, and wind up at the competing publisher. Now that's no longer the same option, and the talent pool, especially in editorial, will have far fewer opportunities.

This is going to change everything. Outside of the huge loss of jobs for DC staffers, the industry as a whole is never going to be the same.

Could that be a good thing?

The comics industry is back-asswards as all hell in the first place; maybe the decentralization of it all will be a good kind of shakeup in the long term.

Not saying DC's making a good move, just that even if it's a bad move, could it work out better in the future anyway?

I'm not actually sure that is a bad thing. No one wants to see all those staffers out of work - and make no mistake, this only immediately affects the assistant editors and some of the main editorial staff; DiDio and Lee will be just fine - but the idea that the the writer of The Stupefying Stoat-Boy can one day ragequit Marvel and walk across the street to start writing Weasel Lad at DC with no repercussions is probably, in the long run, not the worst thing ever.

Also, this means that the comics division of DC Entertainment will be even more closely watched by its corporate overlords.

All that said, I feel terrible for the rank and file office workers this will put on the street. A few will land at other companies, but the industry isn't able to sustain them all.

• 1 month later...

So Dan, are you saying that if the guys behind teeny bopper Lobo can still have a job, that if I work hard enough at my craft and promotion :blush: , I may have a job with comics ten years down the line? :w00t:

Anything's possible. The fact that the same few dozen creators won't necessarily be swapping back and forth between DC and Marvel (and thereby tying up all the available slots) will probably be offset by the possibility that there will be far fewer slots by then. We'll see.

If you want to create, you'd be far better off creating your own stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Something just occurred to me. Up until The Flash: Rebirth, Barry Allen's mom died of old age after he died in Crisis. Geoff Johns retconned it so we was dead all along. This wouldn't be a problem except the event that created the current retcon is all because Barry Allen went back in time to save his mom's wife, which created The Flashpoint universe that then ended up becoming The New 52. What I'm saying is that a retcon was introduced so it could get retconned which was then retconned so that an entire universe could be retconned.

• 5 months later...

They're also apparently retconning DADT out of Batwoman's origin with the new author, which, I'm slightly confused about, not gonna lie.

Meanwhile, I'm just gonna get the popcorn and watch this shit fall out.

Oh, and as a reminder, these were actual things in their FCBD offerings, which are ostensibly supposed to attract new readers:

Bm6R5KuCQAE-52k.jpg

Bm6UELZCMAAdLXz.jpg

I've been rereading this thread and it's been fairly entertaining. However, one of the things I took from it is how certain most everyone was that this was going to last six months to a year tops; in reality we're going on three. I do have to give it to DC; they're committed to this thing. (Which is not an indictment; as ridiculous as I found HOW they went about it, they deserve kudos for trying to excite people and, quite frankly, for raising the waters on comics sales across the board.)

In fact, thinking about it, in terms of time, if New 52 was Crisis on Infinite Earths, we'd be almost halfway to Zero Hour by now. That's not insignificant.