DC reboot

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After reading over the list of creators, I started to think some of them are the safe choices. Then, five minutes later, I saw that Rich Johnston posted the same fear. Where are the new and exciting up-and-coming talents to go along with this bold new direction?

I'm not knocking guys like Paul Levitz, Fabian Nicieza, and Scott Lobdell -- they're reliable workhorses -- but I want DC to bring new voices to the table. And yes, I get it; DC is taking a huge risk with this reboot, and bringing in creators with little to no name recognition at this point could prove fatal to the company. But at the same time, DC needs to prove that they mean this -- that this truly is something new and different from Age of Apocalypse, House of M, and other reality-altering comics -- and the best way to do that is to move beyond the statesmen.

I feel like I shouldn't, but I do like that Red Robin outfit. Kid Flash looks ok too. It's just WG's one-piece in red and Superboy's bizarre makeshift outfit that are weird. Not just his taped on S but the S logo tattooed to his shoulder but looking a bit like a barcode. I'm assuming these are elseworlds outfits.

On the creator front I was thinking that there aren't many names I'm interested in. Winick, Johns and Morrison are the only guys who I'd generally buy right now, the other titles are draws to me based on their concept over their talent. Although Milligan has written some good stuff, and I like that he's the one going JLDark because he's the current Hellblazer writer. Plus he's doing Red Lantern Corps, which will be worth a look.

Liefeld on H&D is a very interesting move. Hopefully Gates can do some magic, because it seems as though he's been around for a while without any hits. Time to shit or get off the pot. I loved thye original H&D series by Kesel and Liefeld (Kesels? I think husband and wife were on that title if memory serves) and will certainly pick up the 1st trade for nostalgia's sake.

Those TT designs look terrible. I don't like the feathered look. Too nineties. In fact, all of those designs look nineties. Old Man Lee at it again?

LOSH I am as uninterested in as usual.

I hate reboots.

I'm with you on the Red Robin costume, but the rest of those are TERRIBLE.

DC is taking about making the heroes "modern" to relate to "modern" audiences.

Sure.

If we're talking about 1994.

Because those costumes are 1994 Image Comics.

Where are the new and exciting up-and-coming talents to go along with this bold new direction?

Yeah, my interest is really waning. Looks to me like they're trying to recapture the past rather than having the guts to take a chance on a new vision.

From Bleeding Cool:

Batman Beyond writer Adam Beechen tweeted today that we’re going to get a Batman Beyond #1.

The plan as I understand it is to keep all storylines going, just start with a new #1.

Origin story in the works, but not for #1. You won’t believe our twist, or who’s drawing it!

Oh, be still my beating heart.

That's not a taped-on logo. It's a taped on cape made out of notebook paper or a handkerchief!

Yeah, I noticed that one too. Fucked up.

DC is taking about making the heroes "modern" to relate to "modern" audiences.

Sure.

If we're talking about 1994.

Because those costumes are 1994 Image Comics.

Exactly, those are about as modern and edgy as WildC.A.T.S was twenty years ago. They are designs by a 50 year old in an attempt to appear young. This is like George Romero making a film and including "facts" about youtube. Ugh.

Editor-in-Chief: Bob Harras

Lead designer: Jim Lee

Artists: Ed Benes, Brett Booth, Greg Capullo, Tony Daniel, and Rob Liefeld

Writers: Dan Jurgens, Scott Lobdell, and Fabian Nicieza

Yup. There's a modern, young, hip crowd for you. Ten people, roughly 240 years experience in the industry. Not to mention all the same old names. This is ALL about the money. Crisis was about story. What DC has done over the past 8-ish years is truly modernize their universe and concentrate on storytelling. This is about a sales boost.

The upside? Those books that will all be cancelled will all get a much longer run than they would at Marvel.

Edit: Excuse me for being conservative. I just did the math and those ten guys alone have 252 years experience between them, give or take a year or two.

I'm not sure DC is going to be that insensitive. She'll probably have some sort of tech built into her suit, allowing her to be Batgirl, but she'll still be confined to the wheelchair as Barbara.

Or not, now that I think about it. Making the cover story for her secret identity a wheelchair is more insensitive, so I'd rather have a reboot in this case.

While that comic is surprisingly touching, I find it a little logically flawed.

What if they brought back Roy Harper's arm? Does that mean that it's insulting to real-life amputees?

What if they erased the Cry for Justice storyline, which most agree is a terrible story that only hurt the DCU at large? Would that be too insensitive to people who'd lost children like Roy lost his daughter?

No. The story is the story. The entire point of a reboot is to reposition the characters so they're at their best for storytelling. If DC's got a plan for why Barbara is better off not being paralyzed, then let's hear it and read it. Not whine because it's not the same as we've been reading and we don't know any different.