Ross Hughes Colors

RHughes

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as coloring goes, I can find nothing to criticize. It's really good. Dumb questions: When you have things like the energy of Wanda's Hex Bolts, does the artist draw those and then you color them or is that all you? Either way, bravo, that and, for some reason She-Hulk's earring, really stood out for me. Good work.

I have a plethora of custom brushes that I've either found or made. Specifically, SW's energy was a couple different custom brushes that I used to paint it in. I'd say about 50% of the time, it will be drawn in by the artist and the other 50% is left to the colorist. Just depends on how detailed the artist likes to be.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This started out as sketch by Khoi Pham that I had asked to color and then turned out to be sort of a color contest over at Ten Ton's forums. As soon as I asked about it, I got slammed with work and never got around to coloring it. LOL Khoi and I were at the same convention this weekend so I made it a point to get it colored and presented him with a nice printed copy of it. He loved it and now we're going to make prints of it for sale and do some other prints together in the near future. That worked out nicely. :)

Pencils by Khoi Pham

Colors by me.

captainamerica.jpg

• 6 months later...

Have I really not posted anything in 6 months? Wow, am I slacking. I won't dump everything but here is some of the more recent colors I've done. I'll try to be around a little more often. :)

Comments are always appreciated!

Some Youngblood from issues 75, 76 and 77.

Lines by Jon Malin

YB77_04_05_zpsf7211279.jpg

YB77_03_zps90c94c49.jpg

YB77_09_zpsff002e1b.jpg

YB76001_zps067e0913.jpg

YB760016-17_zps9ee88657.jpg

A couple covers to Youngblood 76 and 77

Lines by Rob Liefeld

YB_76_cover_zpsc583b0c0.jpg

YB_77_cover_b_zps07cccaa5.jpg

And some color commission work

Lines by Cory Hamscer

iron_man_zps3bd301f6.jpg

iron_man_armors_zps29ac4e23.jpg

Lines by Jerry Rascoe

redsonja_zps62dfbb83.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Another commission for my buddy, Mikey Babinski!

This one looked intimidating from the start and man, it was a beast. I've always loved Bart Sears' style and I really wanted to do it some justice.

C&C's are more than welcome!

Pencils: Bart Sears
Inks: Mikey Babinski
Colors: Me

BartSearsCable_zps56ecfa80.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So it seems that I can't bring myself to post outside of Facebook and Deviant Art but about every 5-6 months. I keep saying I'm going to change that, but time spent surfing the net is time spent away from working. Grr! I need to find a balance somewhere. Anywho..... Here is some of my more recent work. I went back to work for Hi-Fi following Youngblood being put back up on the shelf but I'm still working on getting another full-time book(s) of my own. In the meantime, I'm available for commission work. Shoot me an e-mail if you're in the market!

Art by Daniel Sampere & Vicente Cifuentes

TRIPAND_1_19_450_RH_zpsc0a63557.jpg
TRIPAND_1_18_450_RH_zps54d8ee26.jpg
TRIPAND_1_20_450_RH_zpsc065b1d3.jpg
TRIPAND_2_04_450_RH_zpsb9cb8182.jpg
TRIPAND_2_05_450_RH_zps019a4894.jpg
TRIPAND_2_07_450_RH_zps93c22ef4.jpg
TRIPAND_3_10_450_RH_zps200f478b.jpg
TRIPAND_3_11_450_RH_zps0c7d0580.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some more Hi-Fi work that just came out. Both of these books presented very different challenges because of the pencils we were given. The Mongul pages were textured (at DC's request) from top to bottom, which made any color hold selecting a lot more time consuming as opposed to if there had been nothing in the negative spaces. And the Brainiac pages were what Brian Miller called the worst scans of pencils he has ever received. He said he spent hours trying to clean them up as best he could, but they were still really brutal. Overall, we were really pleased with how everything came out, but you be the judge!

Pencils by Pascal Alixe

BRAINIAC_1_16_450_RH_zps9caa4f23.jpg

BRAINIAC_1_18_19_450_RH_zps08f37b84.jpg

Pencils by Howard Porter

MONGUL_1_07_450_RH_zpsf13160ee.jpg

MONGUL_1_08_450_RH_zps6e1fe448.jpg

MONGUL_1_05_450_RH_zps2f3dace6.jpg

Wow, thanks! We're going to be coloring his work on Justice League 3000 too. Howard said that DC wants that textured look again for that book, so while I'm looking forward to working on them, I'm really not looking forward to how long it will take. Ha ha!

Some recent commission work. I am available to take on commission work, so if you're interested please shoot me a message or an e-mail.

Comments and feedback is always welcome.

Pencils by Marat Mychaels

DEADPOOHnuke_zps9a6f6ba9.jpg

Pencils by Brett Booth
Inks by Mikey Babinski

BoothGalactusSilverSurfer_zps8829e6da.jp

Lines by Joe Martino

dreddp01_zps46115671.jpg