Thor: The Dark World

Koete

When has London been blown up? I guess the last Fast and Furious, Skyfall, Fantastic Four : Rise of the Silver Surfer. I think Big Ben ate a anti-monument laser in Indepedance day. Oh, and Star Trek: Into Darkness. Any I'm missing?

Nice to have a widely recognised location that isn't an american city.

Team America: World Police

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When has London been blown up? I guess the last Fast and Furious, Skyfall, Fantastic Four : Rise of the Silver Surfer. I think Big Ben ate a anti-monument laser in Indepedance day. Oh, and Star Trek: Into Darkness. Any I'm missing?

Nice to have a widely recognised location that isn't an american city.

Team America: World Police

Wasn't that Paris?

• 1 month later...

Thor: The Dark World

Bloated and overdone, it's like a visual and thematic love letter to Lord of the Rings and the Star Wars Prequels. It's a bit directionless too in a way that reminds you of Iron Man 2. All that being said I did really like it for all it's flab. There's a lot of fun, some big action, high stakes and plenty of drama. Despite being all over the place the individual parts are all good. Not sure it would stand repeat viewing or if others will come away from it as happy as I was much but I enjoyed it. Plenty to tie into the upcoming Marvelverse too as usual, unlike Iron Man 3 at least two planned films will filter off this.

Dark Elves looked very Dr Who inspired with their weird creepy doll-masks.

As usual Loki was the highlight, his Captain America bit was an excellent distraction and him sat on the throne of Asgard means that his story as Marvel Villain Numero Uno is far from over.

Unsure about B Del T as the Collector, but they're really spicing that stuff with some G Del T-style imagination so Guardians could well work.

Also, the relics are the power gems and the Tesseract was one of them! Really ramping up to Thanos now!

I guess a big part of why I liked this was because it's fun to luxuriate in the Marvel universe. Batman, Superman, there's a lot of pressure for those to be as tight and brilliant as they can be, Thor never suffers from that. You're a lot freer to have some fun, mess up the status quo a little without compromising the near religious writ of the character. Which is funny when you consider he's supposed to be an actual GOD.

Agreed. I think there's far too much going on in this film which prevented me from enjoying it to the max.

I liked the first one because there were two very distinct tones: A Shakespearean tale of a would be King in the world of Asgard and a modern action film in a small town in America. The funny bits came from a Norse God finding his way around the world and the plucky, ragtag amateurs doing some science.

In TTDW there are so many different things going on in so many different places. There's lots of things to be tidied up from The Avengers, a new back-story and the human story to be dealt with before the main plot can begin, and the progression of these isn't clearly defined.
This did, however, work to great effect in the final battle. Mixing together and tumbling through various worlds made for a great fight that had space for action, humour and a reason why the all powerful bad guy couldn't hatch his plan straight away.

Oh, and my favourite scene where Thor hangs his hammer up on a coat rack in the London flat just after Jane and Thor return to Earth was great. There are plenty of other funny bits, but they're mostly lazy in my opinion.

I like the supporting cast a lot so Dennings and Portman get a lot of leeway from me, it just would have been interesting to see more of Portman as a fish out of water in Asgard, reverse it around a little.

Good point on the final fight, I was impressed with the imagination and effects on that one. There were plenty of skirmishes before but that was just epic. Plus I smirked a bit on Adham's behalf when the London Tube saved the universe by getting Thor back to the fight. That was a nice little humorous break in the middle as well, between the underground and INTERN SMASH!

Basically in the comics Sif is Thor's eventual wife, but when he's trapped on earth Thor has an alternate identity Dr Don Blake, and Jane Foster (aka Portman) is his significant other. There's also a thing where Sif and Jane get merged sometimes, so that might be how they handle it.

Just got back from seeing it.

Tom Hiddleston. Is. The Man. As always, he walks off with the movie in every scene he's in. He gives Loki so much more depth than the actual words he says.

Please, will someone give him a leading role already? Preferably in a Loki movie but I'm not fussy.

I'd say it's worth a cinema trip. I enjoyed myself, and if you're inclined to like Marvel films you probably will too.

The post credits scene relates to-

The Collector, the Tesseract and the Infinity Gems. Stuff that relates mostly to the Guardians of the Galaxy and probably Thanos in Avengers 3.

Further thoughts on THOR 2. Definitely spoileriffic:

After some thought, Loki gaining the throne shouldn't have been any sort of surprise at all. When we first see the guard supposedly looking down at what we assume is Loki's body, there is a sort of flicker about him. Which we saw earlier during Loki's costume changes and illusions, towards the end of the change. Then, when he actually reports to Odin, he even sounds a little bit like Loki, mostly in speech patten, but also a tiny bit of vocal pattern as well.

And what's he done with Odin? Is the AllFather dead?

It's one of those cases where so much of the actor has leaked through that, despite being genocidal, you can't help but love him. I'm just kinda hoping we don't get the same thing as we did with Sylar on Heroes where he gradually just becomes a character that they alternatively Snidley Whiplash/try to make redeemable.

Back from seeing it. As ever, full thoughts in Comic Reel-lief, but I left before the second post credits scene, so I'm a bit browned off...

In brief:

- The tone is very different to its predecessor.

- A beefed up role for Loki makes me smile.

- A beefed up role for Darcy makes me weep.

- If one iota of the National Maritime Museum had been scratched, I'd have been on the warpath.

- Christopher Ecclestone was never going to be the romantic lead, was he?

- Loved the Cap cameo.

- That guy from The IT Crowd has clearly got himself a better agent than the other guy from the IT Crowd.

All in all, a lot more satisfying than Iron Man 3, as damning with faint praise as that sounds.