Thor: The Dark World

Koete

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that count as one of Chris Evans movies in his 6 movie contract? If it does it doesn't feel worth it. The scene was amazing, but is it worth him asking for a kagillion dollars for the final Cap or Avengers movie now?

Did the end scene cameo from Samuel L Jackson count? That should answer your question. Also, Marvel is notoriously cheap. If there was a way to not make it count, they would do it.

So I've just come back from seeing it (and bare in mind I've not read any of the comics - although I do plan to start at some point) and I really enjoyed it. It seemed to me the Marvel was at it's best again as Iron Man 3 really wasn't good.

Loki was completely and utterly awesome

that scene where they are flying away from Asgard and the two of them are arguing is brilliant. They are just brothers at that point, enjoying the argument and the banter.

Also it's going to destroy Thor when he learns aout Loki being alive, becuase he 'died' a good man. And what's happened to Odin?

But I have a question, what's the deal with Jane's character - I don't get it, she doesn't seem to have any character past being the love interest and it annoys me. Please tell me that I'm missing something important here

I get that she's supposed to be a scientist but that's just so she meets Thor. But seriously, she knows him for about a week and then goes all mopey and does nothing FOR TWO YEARS because he left her again, and doing nothing includes not doing any of her work to the point where her intern needs an intern. SERIOUSLY????

But I have a question, what's the deal with Jane's character - I don't get it, she doesn't seem to have any character past being the love interest and it annoys me. Please tell me that I'm missing something important here

No, that's pretty much it. Originally, when Thor had a secret ID (physician Don Blake), Jane was his nurse. She's (I believe) a doctor herself now in the comics, but historically has been a nonentity. Stan and the Bullpen were good at lots of stuff, but strong female characters were not really their thing.

That said, in Thor: The Mighty Avenger (which you should read now), Jane is a very fun character.

Just got back from watching. I enjoyed it.

- I loved the use of the nine realms. I want to see more of them tho, specially Asgard.

- Comedy. While some (or most) of it works, I did feel that it was a little much at points.

- I want more Sif & The Warriors Three. Cut out most of the on Earth comedy and their is plenty of time.

- Heimdall is awesome.

- The final battle felt epic, but the dark elves were weak villains. To be honest, they kinda feel like the baddies in the CGI TMNT movie.

So I went into this movie having heard a resounding "meh" from others, and thus expected it to be a serviceable-if-unimpressive movie. I also didn't much like the first Thor film, so I wasn't exactly ecstatic to see more. I was very pleasantly surprised with The Dark World. Tons of fun action at every turn with just enough emotion to make it matter.

It's not on the upper tier of the Marvel films (Iron Man, Cap, Avengers), but for me The Dark World sits right below it. It's not going to change the superhero movie world, but it's a really fun action-heavy superhero epic.

That mid-credits scene, though: what? Was that really necessary? Why did they put that one in mid-credits but leave the other bits for post-credits? Most of my theater stayed for the mid-credits scene, collectively went "what the frak?", then left before seeing the last scene.

She's annoying as fuck, and she got an arc, while the Warriors Three and Sif did dick-all.

...Plus most of the run time had her in heavy coats, so the bewbs weren't exactly a factor.

True on the coats. The only glaring issue with the Warriors Three was Hogun. Not sure why they did all that. But, I don't see a problem with the other members who had a great bunch of screen time during the battles. Movie Thor has a fuckload of a supporting cast and I think the film balanced it pretty well.

My only major issue with the use of the cast is that the Jane/Thor relationship is more than a little bland and vapid. Honestly, Sif, in her few moments with Thor in The Dark World, has way more of an interesting relationship with him. Jane just stares at Thor like a lovestruck thirteen-year-old and he just seems to think she's cute. They really should drop the Jane/Thor pairing, but I doubt they will. Marvel Studios values audience satisfaction a bit too much to do that.