Freddy Krueger vs Pazuzu

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Freddy Krueger

freddy-krueger.jpg

Debut: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Main weapon: Bladed glove

Other names: Springwood Slasher, Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs, Fred Krueger, Freddy

Dislikes: Fire, indifference, remakes.

vs

Pazuzu

2345113.jpg

Debut: The Exorcist (1973)

Main weapon: Possession

Other names: Captain Howdy, The Devil

Likes: Crab walking, seperation of church and state, redecorating.

Dislikes: Pea soup, priests, prequels.

Despite this being the #1 vs #32 in the seeding, it's actually pretty close in my eyes.

Freddy's got sheer volume on his side, but both characters really only have two great movies to their name.

Ultimately though, while Pazuzu was scaring people a decade before him, Freddy is the one that became such an icon, and all things being equal, I'd much rather rewatch Nightmare than The Exorcist at this point.

First, the likes and dislikes are amazing!

Second, because I'm not Catholic, Pazuzu never scared me. Though I respect The Exorcist on a technical level and appreciate that it frightened millions of people, the movie (and therefore the villain) loses something if a good portion of the audience shrugs with indifference. Freddy, on the other hand, you can't help but fear no matter your faith; he strikes at you when you're most vulnerable, and that's something, on an instinctual level, we all fear.

What Suavestar said about the number of good films in the series. I'll be frank, Freddy scared the fuck out of me as a child and still does to some small extent today. While The Exorcist is a better movie than Nightmare and Pazuzu's possession of Regan is scary, it's not the main reason the film itself is great. Freddy is.

I've seen bits & pieces of The Exorcist, but enough to realise that Pazuzu was the spirit possessing the girl. And that's the problem: Freddy is a horror icon who can be played a variety of different ways. Pazuzu is, to most people, a possessed girl. It probably should be closer than the voting suggests, because The Exorcist was a huge deal when it was first released in a time when society was a lot less secular than today.

I think Freddy is beatable in this tourney, and I hope he doesn't ease through on landslide votes too often, but I will vote for him here.

Also Austen, you missed out Freddy vs Jason. I love that film.

Also Austen, you missed out Freddy vs Jason. I love that film.

Shit, I did. I didn't think that counted, but yeah then. Freddy has four good films then.

I think Freddy will do well in this tourney, but I don't think he can walk it, I think he should have some good competition soon.

The Exorcist was alright, but I'd much rather watch the Nightmare on Elm Street movies than The Exorcist ones,

Also, Dubs, I counted three good Freddy movies:

Nightmare on Elm Street.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3.

Wes Craven's new nightmare.

I said great movies. 3 is simply good.

I've never seen the exorcist and haven't really seen enough Freddy to form an opinion (well two movies, but I wasn't that impressed).

To be honest what I saw of New Nightmare a few years ago was pretty terrible as I recall. Maybe I'm wrong but I didn't love it.

The Exorcist was alright, but I'd much rather watch the Nightmare on Elm Street movies than The Exorcist ones,

Also, Dubs, I counted three good Freddy movies:

Nightmare on Elm Street.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3.

Wes Craven's new nightmare.

I said great movies. 3 is simply good.

Now come on, Freddy using the kids fears and insecurities against them was pretty damn good, and the ending gave a definitive ending to Freddy, that the other movies chose to ignore, and it had Laurence Fishburne.

1. I agree with what Mike said about the Catholicism thing. I'm an atheist and find nothing scary in Exorcist.

2. Pazuzu was only in the first film, II and the two prequels. It was not him (it) in Exorcist III. So there's only one good film to his name.

3. Freddy has it all. But most importantly, there are three distinctly fucking cool things about his origin: 1: Bastard son of 100 maniacs who raped a nun, 2: pedophile hunted and killed by the parents of the neighborhood he stalked, 3: returning to menace and kill children in their sleep.

There's absolutely no question for me. Freddy, by a long shot.

I always thought it was kinda implied but never stated that Pazuzu was a part of 3 in the background.

Granted, haven't seen it in forever.

I always thought it was kinda implied but never stated that Pazuzu was a part of 3 in the background.

Granted, haven't seen it in forever.

Exorcist III is only an Exorcist film because it is also based on a religious thriller written by Blatty (Legion). It also contains the character of Kinderman and the setting of Georgetown. But that's about it.