Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

tglancy

Five years ago, I wasn't that keen on legacy characters in the Marvel Universe. But that changed when Marvel started to makeĀ great strides to move their classic characters forward, while introducing and fleshing out the next generation. If Legacy takes a step back, slipping the newer characters into the background of other books, I will be greatly disappointed.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The worst offender of these exampled is what they did to Mockingbird. In Agents of SHIELD, she had a Hawkeye-esque affair with some agent guy, restricting any history with Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye. Marvel retconned it so where she still has her history with Hawkeye in the comics, but she also has this dude in her past too, who's weirdly similar to Hawkeye, just to placate the muggles who might pick up a Bobbi Morse comic.

I can understand getting caught in the lie. (Oh, what a tangled web we weave etc etc) That's human. Apparently, his 2000's-era commissioning editors at Marvel didn't know he was Yoshida until this year.

What he did with the lie (allegedly, stealing other people's pitches and pitching them as Akira) isn't so easy for me to forgive. Hannah's also right that if this was Sana Amanat, it'd be more likely that she'd be fired instantly, as opposed to begrudgingly forgiven.

What bugs me is the more I think about this the more the level of deception/double dipping that had to have been done here, even if only for a year. And he didn't start out using this name just to do Marvel work, he did work elsewhere and then got recruited to Marvel (which is when he should've dropped it).Ā 

Also the fact that he DID bring Asian talent in (despite Marvel having a real problem with that) and they're now defending him makes it feel like an insurance policy on his part.Ā 

• 3 weeks later...