Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

tglancy

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think of superhero films were a bubble they'ed have already burst. It's no longer a format, it's a genre that may grow or fade as others have before but the idea that it could burst or flop in a short period of time is just not one I see panning out.

Basically, Batman is box office in any decade, past or future. Avengers might do a bad reboot, superman may underperform and Spidey might get tired but give it 5-8 years and one or the other will have new life.

100% agree with you, Tom. Superhero movies are a genre, not a fad.

Honestly, I think the entire idea of monthly issues doesn't fit the majority of modern comics storytelling. Everyone always talks about how a single issue barely gets you any story anymore, so why not just skip the monthly aspect of it all and go straight to graphic novels in the first place? Get the entire arc in one go, rather than in 3-8 issues sent out in a piecemeal fashion that messes with the overall story pacing anyway?

Not to say that monthlies should never exist, but maybe we don't need to make that the set standard. With digital being the way it is, we could have books come out in whatever length or schedule they like.

I often just go for the graphic novels because the monthlies usually do not give me the sense of reading a story. It is a far cry from Al Capp who may have written a stupid offensive comic in Li'l Abner but I always admired how he was able to finish an arc in two panels and tease a cliffhanger in the final panel.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the latest post on Bleeding Cool, it's being suggested that Fantastic Four will continue but the team will change. If that's the case, I'm thinking it will be a team of Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Danny Rand, and Misty Knight. They're a family unit, so that will remain the same. However, instead of sci-fi action and adventure, we'll have a street-level team.

Also, keep this in mind: If this all kicks off, it will be in 2015. That's not only when the next Fantastic Four movie will be released, but also the Marvel Knights Netflix series, which just so happens to have Jessica Jones, Luke Cake, and Iron Fist programs.

So while Marvel might remove the core team from the book (to spite 20th Century Fox it seems), they'll also be able to promote the characters of their new shows within the pages of a very famous title.

Amazing Spider-Man #1 just sold over 500k. Marvel doesn't need to reboot everything, they just need to be Marvel.

It's coming out that the 500K figure has been severely gamed by Marvel. Remember, those 500K sales are sales to shops, not to readers, and the sell-though figures won't be known for a long time (assuming they ever are). But in addition to the usual "shops have to buy 5 regular versions to get a variant version" game that the publishers always play, it turns out 40K of those sales were to Nerd Block for them to put a copy in their May box mailings. (I don't have a problem with that per se, since it means those 40K copies will go into customers hands and not storage rooms.)

• 4 weeks later...

Bleeding Cool has been suggesting we could also see a Superior Iron Man very soon, with Arno Stark being the one wearing the armor. However, after looking at an image the site posted today (via Entertainment Weekly), even though the article says it's Tony in the armor, I'm thinking Vision is involved. Not only is he almost all white, but the design has that little diamond on the forehead.

avengers-now_1000x791.jpg

I look at that roster and wonder how much of it is basically just setting up replacement heroes for the MCU when the actors decide they don't want to play those roles anymore. Chris Evans is done as Captain America? Kill him off and replace him with Bucky or Falcon. Hemsworth doesn't wanna play Thor anymore? Turn him into a chick. Downey Jr. doesn't want to play Tony? Replace Tony with The Vision, who's already being set up in Avengers 2.