Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

tglancy

I don't really get these new looks that DC and Marvel seem to think are so great with new costumes. I kind of wonder if they just don't have extremely good designers in the higher-up positions. Yes, Jim Lee is a great artist, but his original designs are a little meh. Alex Ross, on the other hand, is the kind of guy you want doing redesigns, since he really gets the concept of what makes a suit work (like with his design for Bucky-Cap).

Re-designs probably take ages to actually do, and then they would have to go through so many channels to be approved, so Jim Lee, being the co-publisher, doing the re-designs for DC himself kind of makes sense, as he wouldn't have as many people to agree to his changes as someone else would.

Jim Lee did have good design ideas, the only problem is, they all seem to best suited for a 1992 elseworlds story.

Ms Marvel, I like the costume, just the hair is a bit strange.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of things:

X-Men VS Avengers 0 was pretty average. I didn't care about Scarlet Witch or Hope Summers going in, and I went out still not caring about either.

Norman Osborne as the leader of HAMMER was awesome, and him VS Tony Stark in Iron Man shows how much of a great Iron Man villain Osborne could be.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm reading the first issue of the New Captain Marvel and the first page cracked me up. Carol and Captain America are fighting Absorbing Man and can asks "What do you want with a piece of moon rock anyway Creel" and Creel responds "MOON POWERS!". Brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...

Daniel Way will be the writer of X-Force once Marvel NOW! kicks off. I'll give it one storyline to impress me, but my hopes are not high. I don't dislike Way's work, but it's never done it for me. He can write high action, but I've rarely seen any heart in his books. And that's exactly what modern X-Force needs; that's why Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force and Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost's X-Force worked so well. They were filled with brutal action, but, more than that, the series were about people dealing with becoming unspeakable monsters in order to stop even bigger monsters from unleashing havoc on the planet. We'll see if Way can do that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...