Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

tglancy

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just picked up the Age of Ultron hardcover.

I absolutely hated the ending.

I won't spoil it, but it was a complete copout that made the entire series a complete waste of time.

This series had so much promise, but that was wasted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been wondering about this for some time now, specifically since they announced The Watcher was to die. With The Avengers killing the multiverse, a mega-threat coming their way, time travel gone crazy, and no Watcher to oversee it all, yeah, Marvel's planning something huge. Best guess? Nova will find the one universe where Uatu's father didn't give nuclear science to that alien race (RE: Original Sin #0), and that will somehow spark this new universe -- if you'll pardon the pun.

Honestly, this wouldn't make sense from a storytelling standpoint. You could make a case for Crisis being needed in 1985 because the fact that there were a dozen or so Earths with multiple Supermen running around could have been confusing for readers. (I disagree, but that's neither here nor there; it happened.) Marvel has generally been good at keeping things relatively streamlined, however. The odd "Reed and Ben served in World War II" or "Tony Stark was injured during the Vietnam War" aside, it's been pretty straightforward.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get "Wow, look at all the comics DC sold, let's get in on some of that", but hasn't Marvel NOW! done the job it set out to do, more or less? And yeah, Tom, this just sounds like Ultimate-izing everything. Hopefully we hear more. Until then, speculation ahoy!

• 2 weeks later...

It's not crazy. It's kinda trite though considering how little publicity the comics really provide. I dunno, I can see Fox being hog wild over X-Men but the first two Fantastic Four films were just barely successes financially and if the next one bombs, I can see them cutting them loose.

Notice how there are no talks of doing the same with Spider-man. It's almost like Disney had the merchandising right... Oh wait, they do.

The Fantastic Four just aren't profitable the way that X-Men and Spider-Man are. Films are really the only way the FF franchise is going to make big money, so basically FF exists—on a purely monetary level—to serve Fox and no one else. Which isn't great for Disney or Marvel.

To be fair, while Rich usually only posts things that he has a trustworthy source on, he's been wrong on more than one occasion and sometimes, I'm sure a company has reversed a decision because they realize it makes them look bad or just to spite him. I could see this thing going away in a few days.

Also, I'm glad they're admitting that the comics exist purely to farm ideas for the film industry. Because that's really fucking respectful to the characters, the fans and the entire art of comics.

I hate it too, but the reality of the situation is that comics in and of themselves are not even close to profitable. Floppies are a loss leader for collections at best, and a means to keep your trademark on the characters and concepts alive. Merchandising and adaptation rights are where the money is. And if Marvel isn't making money off the FF, I can see them doing this. Disney doesn't care about history or the characters or the legacy of Jack Kirby or whatever. If they get nothing (or next to nothing) from the Fox movies, why would they continue to throw money at the book?

In April 2014, Fantastic Four #3 (the highest-selling FF-related title) was the 60th best-selling issue in all of comics. It sold a little under 35,000 copies. At $4 a copy, that's roughly $140,000 in gross sales. I don't know how the division of that money goes, but even if Marvel got every cent of that (and they don't get close to it), Disney would not bend over to pick up $140,000.