Frankenstein's Monster vs The Shark

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Frankenstein's Monster

7_1249862932.jpg

Powers: Extreme strength.

Voted: Best hair

Equivalent Smiley: frankenstein.gif

vs

The Shark

Shark%20Girl.jpg

Powers: Keen olfactory senses, electroreception, teeth.

Voted: Most outgoing

Equivalent Smiley: shark.gif

It'd be like a Benny Hill routine. The monster would keep throwing it into the lake and the shark would keep jumping out to attack it over and over.

It's the shark! It's the dead-eyed serial killer of the deep! The damn thing is REAL. I don't know how much scarier it gets than 25ft of prehistoric deathdealing fish.

As has been said, the monster isn't even a proper villain.

And yet a fish that has to eat a few thousand pounds of meat each week in order to survive is?

They kinda establish in Jaws The Revenge that the Shark has enough of a mind where it fucking swims a few hundred miles to go after one woman and her remaining family. I'd count that as evil and villainous.

And yet a fish that has to eat a few thousand pounds of meat each week in order to survive is?

They kinda establish in Jaws The Revenge that the Shark has enough of a mind where it fucking swims a few hundred miles to go after one woman and her remaining family. I'd count that as evil and villainous.

Fair point. I've only the seen the original and I'm pretty sure all the shark attacks are some distance from the coast, but then again I've only seen it once.

I gotta go with the Shark on this one. 400million years of the same design, not need for change, just a perfect killing machine from day dot. I am torn on this, it's not so much who would win in a fight but who instils more fear and it has to be the shark. Monster is just misunderstood.

400million years of the same design, not need for change, just a perfect killing machine from day dot.

I know this is tangential, but here are some really early sharks from the Devonian and Carboniferous periods (416-359 million years ago and 359-299 million years ago, respectively):

Stethacanthus2.jpg

(Stethacanthus)

helicoprion.jpg

(Helicoprion)

edestus.gif

(Edestus)

Not quite the same design for the past 400 million years. I don't want to come off as rude or diminish the status of sharks as killing machines by pointing that out. I'm just such a huge paleontology freak that I couldn't ignore your post.

Just because there were freak sharks doesn't mean there weren't normal ones.

You'd be hard-pressed to find any modern-looking sharks in the fossil record before the Late Jurassic. This is the most normal-looking one from the same time period as the anvil-finned one.

Cladoselache_anatomy1.jpg

Cladoselache_03.jpg

Dunno, the anvil thing was probably just the style at the time. Looks fundamentally the same as a modern shark to me.

Really Shark and Crocs are the complex organisms with roots going furthest back within their recognisable genus.

Dunno, the anvil thing was probably just the style at the time. Looks fundamentally the same as a modern shark to me.

Really Shark and Crocs are the complex organisms with roots going furthest back within their recognisable genus.

Even so, its snout doesn't look quite the same as other sharks, though more so in other drawings of it then the CGI one I posted and even more so in the one I posted in response to Preston's comment.

As for crocs...

https://sites.google.com/site/paleofilescom/mesozoic-crocodilians.

Look specifically at Allodaposuchus and Deinosuchus, since they're eusuchians (true crocodilians). They're not as weird as the other creatures in the article but different enough from their modern relatives. Incidentally, I wrote the article so feel free to let me know how bad or good it is.

Sorry for bringing this thread off topic.

I was particularly interesting in the Pagenotfoundadon. :)

(Don't worry, it did link to the right page)

OK, so there are a lot of fairly crazy looking species of Crocs then. See, this is what happens when all my scientific knowledge is absorbed from movies.

Trust my luck to get into a discussion of species with a Herpetologist/Oceanographer.