Season One

Koete

To help celebrate its 50th anniversary next year, Marvel will publish a line of graphic novels featuring current creators retelling classic superhero tales. Called Season One, the initiative marks the company’s first entry in recent history into original graphic novels.

“We’re hoping to introduce folks who have never read any of these characters to these characters in this format, and also provide an interesting and illuminating story for people who have read a lot of Fantastic Four and Daredevil,” Tom Brevoort, Marvel’s senior vice president of publishing, tells USA Today. “If you want to dip your toe in the water and find out the essence of what Marvel is all about, here is a nice place for you to start in big, sizable, meaty chunks.”

The first wave will feature: Fantastic Four: Season One, by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and David Marquez, due in February; X-Men: Season One, by Dennis Hopeless and Jamie McKelvie, in March; Daredevil: Season One, by Antony Johnston and Wellinton Alves, in April; and Spider-Man: Season One, by Cullen Bunn and Neil Edwards, in May. A second wave will debut soon afterward.

Season One isn’t a relaunch or an Ultimate Universe-like initiative — “”Everything you know about them, everything that’s existed for the last 50 years still exists and is still there,” Brevoort says — but neither is it a mere retelling of the characters’ origins. “These are individually new stories,” he says, “even though they’ve got bits and pieces of old and formative origin stuff in and around them, as well.”

Source

I'm more worried about the fact that Marvel can't seem to move past retellings of their own origins. Say what you like about DC (and I'm not necessarily their biggest fan right now) but Marvel goes back to the well to tell "untold" stories more than anyone. Between The Loeb/Sale color series, the prestige things they did in the nineties, FF First Family, Untold Tales of Spider-Man, etc. etc.

All these stories will add up to their characters having to be three hundred and forty-two years old having lived so many days in their lives. This looks petty to me and a little creatively bankrupt.

The best thing Marvel can do is just shut up. The last thing they should do is shine a spotlight on how they don't pull similar bullshit. Because they're just as bad.

Edit: the topic title was bugging me so I fixed it.

Yeah. About a month ago, I went and looked up the chronological list of every X-men comic ever written (I was actually looking for a list sorted by publication date, but clicked the wrong link). There's so many stories that take place before X-Men #1 that it's insane. It's like every day of every character's life has now been filled in, and they're still adding more. It wouldn't be a problem if Marvel had rebooted their chronology sometime in the past 50 years, but as it stands there's fifty billion things that have been retroactively stuck into current continuity, muddling it up.

I'm more worried about the fact that Marvel can't seem to move past retellings of their own origins. Say what you like about DC (and I'm not necessarily their biggest fan right now) but Marvel goes back to the well to tell "untold" stories more than anyone. Between The Loeb/Sale color series, the prestige things they did in the nineties, FF First Family, Untold Tales of Spider-Man, etc. etc.

I think, stress think, this is Marvel's way of getting people from the movies to read the comics. They can sell these in the bookshops and when someone goes to watch the Spider-Man movie, and in theory says "I want to read his comic now! Which one should I get?" Marvel will hope they will go out and pick up a volume of the Season One stuff and be a long term comic reader, and give Marvel a lot of money.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...