Episode 69

RSS

With a plot about an alien attempting to eradicate all life on Earth, "The Visitation" is a rather rote Doctor Who story. However, the serial is saved by Richard Mace (AKA Mr. Awesome), who Mike suggests might be related to another one-off companion from one of Tom Baker's most beloved stories. Then, in the two-part "Black Orchid," The Doctor is accused of murder, and a family secret prevents someone from corroborating The Doctor's alibi. Before all that, however, Chris Johnson drops by to deliver a segment that highlights the ups and downs of the recently ended Tom Baker era. (Said segment runs from 8:14 to 48:03.) [ 2:08:03 || 61.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_069.mp3

Dan,

One of the reasons you said you didn't care for Black Orchid was because the Doctor wasn't in it, and the name of the show is Doctor Who, however in the modern series there is generally one episode that doesn't feature the Doctor very heavily. Was Black Orchid trying to maybe do the same to focus more on a companion than the Doctor?

Just a thought.

That's actually an excellent point, Eric.

I find Doctor-lite episodes have to be really well done for me to appreciate them, because one of the big draws of Doctor Who is the fact that the Doctor is in it. Shows like "Blink" and "Turn Left" make excellent use of the Doctor's absence, while "Love and Monsters" actively suffers from it. If the Doctor not being in the episode is the point of the episode, then I can get behind it. However, this was just a case of "We don't know what to do with him, so we'll just have the Doctor wander around some passageways and poke around at things aimlessly."