Tekken Movie?

Yarrik

IGN's talk of a Tekken Movie.

Good idea? Probably not, but let's think of the source material. It's based off of a Video game, which have more often than not tanked. It's based off of a fighting game, which have more often than not tanked, with the original Mortal Kombat movie being one of the best, if not THE BEST, video game movie ever. The odds of a Tekken movie being successful are SLIM at best.

Now, the fact that Tekken is a more or less realistic fighting game adds to the chances of working, because there would no need too many special effects. The amount of realisitc characters also works out in the movie's favor. They would only need to take the main characters of ONE game, and perhaps include the hidden characters.

The PRIMARY problem that would occur with a Tekken game would be the story, which is usually where video game movies simply fall flat on their faces, if the actors don't trip them up.

The Tekken games have several different subplots, enough to allow the movies to have a change of pace whenever neccessary, but the main focus of the movie would have to be on the Tekken tourny, and probably the family affairs of the Mishimas.

Tekken could very well go the ways of Mortal Kombat, or it could go the ways of Street Fighter. Let's hope to God it follows Mortal Kombat's tracks.

• 4 years later...

I quite like the Tekken games. Certainly Tekken and Soul Calibur are my 3d fighters of choice when it comes to traditional beat-em-ups.

Movie looks like a combination of the worst acting, props, CGI and set design offset by some fun and daft looking fights. I'll check it out but not in cinemas. Not that it should even be in cinemas.

Soul Calibur is the better of the two, but I really don't care for either. Outside of Virtua Fighter, 3D fighting games don't really work.

Street fighter IV? What about Street Fighter Ex: Plus Alpha?

Also, I loved Tekken when I was younger, and I owned Tekken 5, which had the first three as a bonus feature. So, that was awesome.

Soul Calibur is the better of the two, but I really don't care for either. Outside of Virtua Fighter, 3D fighting games don't really work.

I can't stand virtua fighter. For me a great fighting game should have a great deal of instant reward as well as depth of play in terms of the moves you can pull off, something tekken has. Virtua fighter is no fun for a drunken winner stays on assemblage of the uninitiated.

I can't stand virtua fighter. For me a great fighting game should have a great deal of instant reward as well as depth of play in terms of the moves you can pull off, something tekken has. Virtua fighter is no fun for a drunken winner stays on assemblage of the uninitiated.

Ah button bashers.

Street fighter IV? What about Street Fighter Ex: Plus Alpha?

Both are on a 2D plane. EX isn't very good though, outside of some fun characters.

I can understand Virtua Fighter being too much for the casual fighting game player, but to me, Tekken is too simple. Extremely unbalanced characters, over-reliance on juggle combos, and no real strategy to speak of. You can do a fuck load of moves but only need three of them to be effective. I think Virtua Fighter 5 did a lot to appease the button mashers. El Blaze, Sarah, and Liu are built around that. You can't Eddy Gordo your way to victory though.

The ironic thing about the movie is that the anime version is actually pretty decent.

The ironic thing about the movie is that the anime version is actually pretty decent.

That we can agree on. Though didn't the animé introduce a new character as Heihachi's other son or something?

That was Lee. He debuted in Tekken 2, long before the movie.

That we can agree on. Though didn't the animé introduce a new character as Heihachi's other son or something?

That was Lee. He debuted in Tekken 2, long before the movie.

Ah alright, been like eight years since I saw the film, and five years since I played Tekken 2.