Episode 72

RSS

As The Doctor attempts to save his own life from a small group of undying mutants ("Mawdryn Undead"), and then the lives of those suffering from a leprosy-like disease ("Terminus"), Turlough is introduced as the Black Guardian's sort-of-unwilling lackey / assassin, a retired Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart makes his return, and Nyssa bids the TARDIS and her friends farewell. [ 1:39:24 || 47.8 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_072.mp3

Granted, we have five more episodes of BOTI with Davison, so he might grow into the role some more, but I wish he had a fourth season to flesh out his Doctor. I mean, William Hartnell was the cranky but loving grandfather, Patrick Troughton was the silly uncle, Jon Pertwee was the dapper action hero / action scientist, and Tom Baker was the Bohemian madman. Peter Davison? He's the young guy. Great actor, sure. But The Doctor? Sometimes.

Davison being the young guy is PRECISELY what JNT had in mind for him. He's a great actor, and infuses the role with wit and charm and tries his damnedest to bring as much eccentricity to it as he can, but he was straightjacketed by the producer. What JNT wanted was a young, bland older brother type. Davison himself has said repeatedly he was too young. He would love to have been offered it now, in his 50s, as he thinks he could have done a better job.

That said, I think he's great. His second season wasn't classic, but he's a damn fine actor and he has definite moments.

To answer your question of how all the characters in different time zones could all be in the same one on the ship in Mawdryn Undead. I always took it that the ship was orbiting in time as well as space so that meant that you could transmat down to a particular time period but time on the ship stayed constant. So when everyone goes up to the ship by various means they are all united in the single timeline on board. If that makes any sense.

I mean, William Hartnell was the cranky but loving grandfather, Patrick Troughton was the silly uncle, Jon Pertwee was the dapper action hero / action scientist, and Tom Baker was the Bohemian madman. Peter Davison? He's the young guy. Great actor, sure. But The Doctor? Sometimes.

Davison being the young guy is PRECISELY what JNT had in mind for him. He's a great actor, and infuses the role with wit and charm and tries his damnedest to bring as much eccentricity to it as he can, but he was straightjacketed by the producer. What JNT wanted was a young, bland older brother type. Davison himself has said repeatedly he was too young. He would love to have been offered it now, in his 50s, as he thinks he could have done a better job.

A few months ago I was chatting with my father about how I was about to start watching the Peter Davidson episodes along with you guys, and well, he told me his opinion of him. To set things up a bit, I grew up hearing stories from both my mother and step-mother of my Dad's Doctor Who addiction, so he's been a fan for quite sometime. His opinion of Peter Davidson was that he was... well let's put it nicely, a "pretty boy". Not the word he used but I refuse to use that word outside of xbox live!

Anyways, from this anecdotal story I'd say people of the time who were use to Baker probably saw it as a move to pretty up the cast to get more viewers. Pretty much what they do now from the get go on most TV.

I also find it hilarious that you guys said there was no news when Torchwood had it's season finale. Kind shows what whimper of a story it had. Just watch the finale and let's just say, meh. It really could have been great, but it just felt like a mish mash of so many things.

Are you guys going to review Torchwood?

Keep awesome, guys!

• 3 weeks later...

listened to your podcast before watching lets kill hitler, was a bit worried about this mels bird, thankfully it wasn't as bad as i feared and she was only there for a wee while.

It did for some reason get me thinking what would happen if the doctor felt so guilt ridden about Adrics death that he decided to regenerate into the glory that is the mathematical wizard we all know and love.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g355/Shepherdspie/doctoradrichmm.jpg

Thankfully my photoshop skills are poor or serious psychological damage could be done.

good podcasts as usual, am looking forward to the 5 docs :)