Captain America: The Winter Soldier

JackFetch

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought this was excellent. Marvel's best movie to date. It carried perfect continuity with the first film without getting bogged down in references, same with being a continuation of the Marvel films and served as an excellent character piece for Steve Rogers. It was darker yet had it's light and funny moments, but without descending into farce like Iron Man 3. Honestly I would compare this to TDK in terms of how it upped the game in what to expect from comic book movies, or Marvel's comic movies at least.

I've written my script for Comic Reel-lief, so I now just have to record it and edit the segment. I will say that I prefer The First Avenger just because of the WW2 aspect and the villain being Hugo Weaving dressed up with a bright red head prosthetic. That being said, I can totally see why people prefer the sequel and I'd be loathe to disagree with them for the most part.

Something I didn't mention: I thought this was one of the best American action films of the decade. The direction was pretty clear with a remarkable low level of shaky cam.

I wanted to say that earlier, too, but didn't want to come off like a rabid fanboy. I really thought the action was insanely impressive, both when it's being over-the-top epic and when it's being "intimate" with close-quarters one-on-one stuff.

Upon reflection, I have exactly two issues with this movie, none of which keep it from being amazing.

1.) There was a time when Cap meeting Peggy again was believable and heartwrenching (the 60's, 70's, 80's). By my count, Peggy would have to be in her late 90's at this point. It's okay to let her go, really. (That and they were super careful not to refer to Agent 13 as Sharon Carter).

2.) For a movie called the Winter Soldier, there was really not as much Bucky as I was expecting. I liked his use, I liked the way he and Cap interacted, but just making him the focus of the title seemed wrong. It's be better served for the next film, where the actually hunt him down.

That said, I really have no real complaints, the whole film was a damn sight short of perfect. I've never had time for Fury or Widow before, but they were both perfect here. Evans is the perfect Capt. America. The fights were brutal, realistic and hard hitting. I'd have liked Batroc to have at least spoken English, once and referred to Zee Captain!, but that's life. Robert Redford, a guy who could have easily been Cap, was great as he could be.

Perfect as hell, though. Hail Hydra.

Evans is the perfect Capt. America.

Yes. He has that inherent decency that doesn't stop him from being the ultimate human fighting machine. He believes in what America stands for, but not to the point of being blind to the realities that America has a lot wrong with it. This, right here, is Mark Gruenwald's Captain America.

I wish to hell I had saved this so I could attribute it, but the other day someone on Twitter said "Sorry DC, but Marvel found the real live-action Superman before you did, and it's Chris Evans."

Upon reflection, I have exactly two issues with this movie, none of which keep it from being amazing.

2.) For a movie called the Winter Soldier, there was really not as much Bucky as I was expecting. I liked his use, I liked the way he and Cap interacted, but just making him the focus of the title seemed wrong. It's be better served for the next film, where the actually hunt him down.

Hydra.

I may be wrong, but wasn't that how it was in the comics? Winter Soldier just showed up, when he was needed, and the real story of the winter soldier, was what Red Skull was doing behind the scenes.

So, rewatching some of the Marvel stuff since watching Captain America is kinda weird.

For example, Item 47 was a short about a couple who find some alien tech and use it to rob banks before they are taken down by Agent Sitwell who brings them into SHIELD. Now, it's about how two thieves are recruited into HYDRA.

Just saw this last night. Was not expecting a 70s political thriller that basically called out the entire modern intelligence gathering system. Absolutely fanfuckingtastic.

-Agreed on being surprised at how little Bucky showed up, but they couldn't really title it decently otherwise.

-Falcon is amazing and I hope he shows up in a future Avengers film

- Props on Fury and Widow getting showcased, give Widow her solo film already.

-Everyone in my theater was crying at the Peggy bit. For even more fun heartbreaking times, think of how used he is to it. And how many times that has to have happened in front of him for take it that in stride.

-So, ultimate outcome of this leaves some pretty interesting ramifications, and now leaves a bit of a plot hole re: Tony in Avengers.

Should Tony not have uncovered the Hydra takeover? And clearly all of Hydra wasn't on that plane, so Agents is probably gonna be them taking down Hydra now?

-Loved the stinger with the twins, and neatly sidesteps the issues of mutants.

-Falcon is amazing and I hope he shows up in a future Avengers film

I loved the Falcon in this. I've loved him as a character since I was a kid (I even have memories of when the book was titled Captain America and the Falcon). However, he doesn't work as an Avenger. As Cap's partner, he's perfect, but when Sam's gimmick is that he can fly, and when flying is literally the least interesting thing Iron Man and Thor can do, he gets overshadowed very quickly. They tried it briefly in the comics, and I don't think he lasted six months.

Should Tony not have uncovered the Hydra takeover? And clearly all of Hydra wasn't on that plane, so Agents is probably gonna be them taking down Hydra now?

Tony wouldn't have found out because the other 90% of SHIELD didn't know about Hydra either. It's not like Hydra put a file in there labeled "SECRET HYDRA TAKEOVER PLAN, TOP SECRET."

And yeah, going off last week's episode (which takes place during The Winter Soldier), Agents is gonna be basically Coulson and the team as rogue agents trying to fight Hydra any way they can.