Episode 480

RSS

In this episode, Mike dives into the second round of DCnU comics: Action Comics #1, Animal Man #1, Batgirl #1, Batwing #1, Detective Comics #1, Green Arrow #1, Hawk and Dove #1, Justice League International #1, Men of War #1, OMAC #1, Static Shock #1, Stormwatch #1, and Swamp Thing #1. [ 1:54:30 || 55.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_480.mp3

I might be a tad biased as it's one of my all-time favorite runs in comics, but I think you'd really enjoy Morrison's Animal Man. Everything you listed off that you loved about the relaunch - the focus on Buddy's personal life, the superheroics, the grander overarching story - can be found within it. That's not to say that Lemire is rehashing Morrison's run, but that he stays true to what made the character that Morrison recreated such a great one.

LOVED your Batgirl #1 review. On The Batman Universe Comic Cast where I reviewed it, I think I came off as more personally offended because I'm a Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown as Batgirl fan over Barbara. So because the first issue with Babs as Batgirl not only didn't answer shit, but was lackluster on its own merits, I feel as though my review didn't fully go over the massive amounts of fail that was that issue. But you nailed it with the scenes at the hospital with the dumbass cop and dialogue spoken. Bravo sir.

One thing about your Static Shock review, Hardware is the guy from Milestone talking to Virgil, not Hardcore. It does make me ask, is there a character in comics named "Hardcore"?

Looking forward to the rest Mike!

I really enjoyed Action Comics #1 because I am a college student and found this Clark very relatable. I think if I had his powers I'd act just like him. The one thing that bugged me was the fact he didn't have a laptop. I'm a journalism student and everybody has a laptop, even the poorest of us. Nobody "calls in" stories anymore, it's all on computers now. Other than that, it was a fun and refreshing comic and I'm excited to watch Clark grow into the Superman we know and love.

• 2 months later...

Having just listened to this (I archive-binge now and then, can ya tell?), I've downloaded Swamp Thing #1 on Mike's recommendation. Was never a big fan of the character, but what Mike described makes this sound like an interesting angle.

Also, while I liked Batgirl overall, I do agree with Mike about its lesser points.