Beware the Batman

JackFetch

"According to Register, the CGI animated series will spotlight a classic-looking Batman teaming up with a gun-toting Alfred Pennyworth and a female ninja sidekick," says the site. "Beware the Batman is executive-produced by Glen Murakami, and will explore the mythology’s more obscure villains, such as Professor Pyg, but also won't shy away from featuring some of the more well-known Batman foes. In the series, Batman will team up with a younger female sidekick named Katana. During the keynote, Register added that Katana will fill the sidekick role, but won't be a replacement for Robin."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168534-beware-the-batman-animated-series-coming-in-2013

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never really understand why it is that people are so fixated on taking this "new spin" on Batman. Even if you want to use the argument that Batman can be whoever you want him to be, from the dark brooding hero to the campy silly one (which I just don't agree with, but since so many people do cherish this idea, I won't attack that viewpoint), there are so many other great DC superheroes out there, so why not do a series about one of them? This sounds like Batman meets Green Hornet meets something I've never even heard of.

There still hasn't been a Green Lantern series yet. Why not Green Arrow? A Question series could have a very different flair to it than anything we've seen before from DC. Why not an Outsiders series, since we've seen the success of Teen Titans?

I've yet to see how a series can outdo what was accomplished with Batman: The Animated Series, so why keep doing it to do death?

Green Lantern is getting one. Personally, I'm of the opinion that Question done right wouldn't work for kids, but my Q is the Denny version.

As far as I'm concerned, they really ought to drop Batman from B:TBAB, and just make it a straight team up show using the characters they've already established.

Batman = $$$

DC do make other animated shows without Batman, Teen Titans or The Legion for example. Even Young Justice manages to not be Batman-focussed. It's just that alongside those shows there always has to be a Batman show because it's a proven draw and always outsells the others. This new Batman show will do better than the Green Lantern show they've got coming up. Only Spider-man has a similar presence in the public conciousness in terms of marketability, and even then Batman still wins. I'd love to see a DC cartoon series about Wonder Woman or Green Arrow, but what's the point when those characters don't hit the same recognition or marketing potential of Batman?

Batman = $$$

DC do make other animated shows without Batman, Teen Titans or The Legion for example. Even Young Justice manages to not be Batman-focussed. It's just that alongside those shows there always has to be a Batman show because it's a proven draw and always outsells the others. This new Batman show will do better than the Green Lantern show they've got coming up. Only Spider-man has a similar presence in the public conciousness in terms of marketability, and even then Batman still wins. I'd love to see a DC cartoon series about Wonder Woman or Green Arrow, but what's the point when those characters don't hit the same recognition or marketing potential of Batman?

The reason not to is that Batman is a well that can be dried up. In the last twenty years, we've seen BTAS, The Batman, TBATB, and now this? Seems a bit much to me. Maybe it's because he's just not one of my favorite superheroes, but there are other heroes out there.

There's always a new generation of kids to entertain, I think Batman can sustain another series. It'll only have to go away when the series is actively off-putting and bad.

Honestly, this does kind of sound off-putting and bad. I've never been much on The Brave and the Bold, but I know that a lot of people love that one. But at least with that one, I know what they were going for. This one here sounds like a mess. And, as I've said, there are so many other heroes you can do a show of. Yes, I know that DC thinks Batman is its gravy train. But Teen Titans was a heck of a risk, and look at how well that worked out. There are ways to use lesser known heroes out there and give them time to shine.

If that video was to imply that I'm that "This isn't my Batman" guy, I'm not. As I said, I don't take away from people liking Batman interpreted other ways. I don't get it, but I don't have to. Anything that gets them into comics. I still think this series idea is a dumb one, considering how many other heroes there are who could get a show.

No, I didn't think you were, it was aimed more at this sentence:

I've yet to see how a series can outdo what was accomplished with Batman: The Animated Series, so why keep doing it to do death?

I hate that sentiment. Batman: The Animated Series was a great cartoon, no question. But it isn't the be all end all of Batman. There's no reason there shouldn't be new Batman cartoons just because of BTAS, especially when those cartoons take an approach different or completely opposite from it.

And besides the shows featuring other heroes listed above, look at how many superheroes were on Batman: Brave and The Bold, that were given prominent roles over the course of that cartoon. Sure it had Batman in it, but so much of the DC Universe was introduced to people who might have only known about Batman.

No, I didn't think you were, it was aimed more at this sentence:

I hate that sentiment. Batman: The Animated Series was a great cartoon, no question. But it isn't the be all end all of Batman. There's no reason there shouldn't be new Batman cartoons just because of BTAS, especially when those cartoons take an approach different or completely opposite from it.

And besides the shows featuring other heroes listed above, look at how many superheroes were on Batman: Brave and The Bold, that were given prominent roles over the course of that cartoon. Sure it had Batman in it, but so much of the DC Universe was introduced to people who might have only known about Batman.

Didn't say it was the be all end all. But I do think it was the best, both in characterization and in concept. I'm not saying don't ever do Batman again. I'm saying why do Batman again, when there are other routes you could take?

Because Batman is still probably the best route to take, honestly. He's well-recognized, beloved by all, and it's not like they can't still do other shows on the side, like Young Justice, Green Lantern, and whatever else they've got cooking.

Personally, I think it'd be a crime to NOT have a Batman show on the air. Every kid deserves to grow up watching Batman.

Because Batman is still probably the best route to take, honestly. He's well-recognized, beloved by all, and it's not like they can't still do other shows on the side, like Young Justice, Green Lantern, and whatever else they've got cooking.

Personally, I think it'd be a crime to NOT have a Batman show on the air. Every kid deserves to grow up watching Batman.

You could make the same argument for Superman. Why is it not a crime not to have a Superman show on the air? Don't kids deserve to grow up watching that?

Animated Batman should be given a rest for at least five years. But at least DC Animated is giving us other series and characters such as YOUNG JUSTICE and the upcoming DOOM PATROL. As long as they continue to give other characters a try alongside Batman, I'm happy.

That's pretty much what I think. I'm not saying that this doesn't have the chance to be good. Honestly, it kind of looks like crap from what I've heard, but I'll admit I could be wrong. Still, a brief break from the sheer saturation we've been getting from Batman series could make us appreciate the next one more.

You could make the same argument for Superman. Why is it not a crime not to have a Superman show on the air? Don't kids deserve to grow up watching that?

Because of the two, Batman sells more merchandise. And he's more popular. Plus the most obvious thing to do with Superman as an animated show is something relating to his origins and what with all the legal red tape that's been tough to sort in the last decade or so.

I still think it would make sense to give it at least a year or two for people to get a break from Batman before draining the well again.

So, you would come off the heels of the release of The Dark Knight Rises on DVD/Blu-Ray and you wouldn't have any other Batman shows on TV and products to merchandise?