Batman: Year One DVD commentary

Just listened to the Batman: Year 1 commentary, and it was worth the money.

However, you spend a good majority of the film talking about how bad Batman's voice actor is, but you never mention how awesome Bryan Cranston (Hal from Malcolm in the Middle, Walter White from Breaking Bad) is. Which was disappointing, as he carried the movie on his back, and is one of my favourite actors on TV today.

I can't believe you didn't say anything about Bruce in back of the police car, and that being the first appearance of the Batman we know and love, when he tells the cops to leave the car, for no other reason, than he tells them to.

Selina being as good a fighter as Bruce is a solid point, and not something I would have picked up on, until you pointed it out.

Overall, a good commentary, and I look forward to more.

As an extra: If in future, you cover DC animated films that run as short as Year 1, could you charge full price, but add in a DC Showcase commentary to bulk up the time?

Just listened to the Batman: Year 1 commentary, and it was worth the money.

Thanks!

However, you spend a good majority of the film talking about how bad Batman's voice actor is, but you never mention how awesome Bryan Cranston (Hal from Malcolm in the Middle, Walter White from Breaking Bad) is. Which was disappointing, as he carried the movie on his back, and is one of my favourite actors on TV today.

You're right. I had notes about Gordon's voice, but I skipped over them. The reason being, the pacing is so fast sometimes, I had to sacrifice saying certain things. And, sadly, mentioning how great Gordon's voice actor was was one of those things.

I can't believe you didn't say anything about Bruce in back of the police car, and that being the first appearance of the Batman we know and love, when he tells the cops to leave the car, for no other reason, than he tells them to.

That's a great point that had never dawned on me -- not even during my many readings of the comic.

Selina being as good a fighter as Bruce is a solid point, and not something I would have picked up on, until you pointed it out.

While we're on that topic, I think I said the producers added that fight, which isn't true; it's in the comic, but much shorter. Bruce notes she has karate training, but only karate training, before promptly knocking her on her ass. So it's there, but not the drawn-out fight that didn't sit right with me.

Overall, a good commentary, and I look forward to more.

Thanks again!

As an extra: If in future, you cover DC animated films that run as short as Year 1, could you charge full price, but add in a DC Showcase commentary to bulk up the time?

Very solid idea! I'll try that out down the line.

Listened to the Batman: Year One review the other day. Great review, but I have to ask: Why no score?

I'm still defining these. Are they minute-by-minute reviews, DVD commentaries, or a combination? What I'm trying to make them, especially with The Room commentary, is a fun experience -- as if we're in the room together, analyzing the movie over a few drinks. I also figure reviews are meant to get you to see or not see something. With commentaries, you've already purchased the movie, so a score isn't going to persuade you one way or another.

I really enjoyed this. Could not possibly be more in agreement re: Batman's voice actor; when they first released the preview, ages ago, I remember hearing his performance and thinking, "This is not going to go so well." You had a lot of great points.

Guest TFG1Mike

Ben Mckenzie who voices Batman/Bruce Wayne is really only known for two things. Playing Ryan Atwood on The O.C. and Officer Ben Sherman on TNT's Southland. He has guest starred in several shows, but hasn't had a major career. By that I am not trying to take away the fame that he has achieved, but he's not in the same TV Celeb status as say a Tim Allen, or Mark Harmon.

I think his voice fits the Year One Film, but as overall Bats/Bruce Voice it's not the best. However it's not the worst either....

I was surprised I liked the movie as much as I did. I'm not a very huge fan of anime style, but it was awesome here. I agree with you Mike I want the Chicago story of Gordon.

Great Job on the commentary really enjoyed it.