XBox One news

JackFetch

I pretty much agree with the above.

Honestly, and this is probably only going to matter to me and very few others, the biggest issue I have with all of this is how it's going to affect the preservation of the medium. When the XBox One generation is over, and the servers go down, they will effectively be shutting off any possible way to play any of those games. All of those discs will be in a landfill somewhere because they'll be functionally useless. It's going to be bad enough when XBLA ends and the 360 servers shut down for good. All of those digital only releases will be lost to time, outside of a dedicated hacking community.

Isn't that problem mostly the same for all digital-only releases on any platform?

On the note of Kinect 2: They've shown pretty in-depth real-time tech demos to the gaming press; it seems that they really do have Kinect working well now.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much agree with the above.

Honestly, and this is probably only going to matter to me and very few others, the biggest issue I have with all of this is how it's going to affect the preservation of the medium. When the XBox One generation is over, and the servers go down, they will effectively be shutting off any possible way to play any of those games. All of those discs will be in a landfill somewhere because they'll be functionally useless. It's going to be bad enough when XBLA ends and the 360 servers shut down for good. All of those digital only releases will be lost to time, outside of a dedicated hacking community.

Isn't that problem mostly the same for all digital-only releases on any platform?

Absolutely, but this will mark the first time an entire console's library will be in that boat.

On the note of Kinect 2: They've shown pretty in-depth real-time tech demos to the gaming press; it seems that they really do have Kinect working well now.

They had really good demos for the original Kinect too. Until it's in front of me trying to deal with me doing something as complex as sitting on a floor without losing its mind when my dogs sneeze, I won't be sold on it.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

The friends list thing is just odd and unnecessary. I wonder if the transfer requirements, along with the 24 hour check in are going to create a very exploitable loophole. Let's say I buy a disc, install the game, then disconnect my system and resell it or give it to a friend. I conceivably, can just finish the game in that 24 hour span with the disconnected system?

The game will have to be unregistered from your gamertag before it can run on another system which it has to be online to do. Once it's registered to someone else, it won't run on your system anymore regardless of being online or not.

I tried to tell everyone that the used game fee was bullshit, but everyone was too eager to jump on a rumor even though it never came from official sources.

The fees are going to be up to the publishers, so we're not out of the woods yet.

I tried to tell everyone that the used game fee was bullshit, but everyone was too eager to jump on a rumor even though it never came from official sources.

The fees are going to be up to the publishers, so we're not out of the woods yet.

EA just halted all their fees for used games. Everyone knows they don't work.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

The friends list thing is just odd and unnecessary. I wonder if the transfer requirements, along with the 24 hour check in are going to create a very exploitable loophole. Let's say I buy a disc, install the game, then disconnect my system and resell it or give it to a friend. I conceivably, can just finish the game in that 24 hour span with the disconnected system?

The game will have to be unregistered from your gamertag before it can run on another system which it has to be online to do. Once it's registered to someone else, it won't run on your system anymore regardless of being online or not.

That's how it's supposed to work on the 360 as well, but there have always been loopholes. Still doesn't account for reselling and the vague deactivation process that retailers will be able to go through.

That's how it's supposed to work on the 360 as well, but there have always been loopholes. Still doesn't account for reselling and the vague deactivation process that retailers will be able to go through.

Retailers will have the ability to deactivate a game from accounts, which is scary to me. That's why only "authorized" retailers will be able to sell used Xbox One games. The first time a pissed off Gamestop employee fucks with someone's account it's going to be pandemonium.

Yeah, there's a lot of scary stuff going on here, and a lot of potential for disaster from all ends.

I wish I could say "at least there's the PS4", but honestly, Sony is probably going to have a lot of the same restrictions, since it's clear most of this is publisher-mandated.

All of the people that think Sony isn't going to do this and forgo DRM to make consumers happy are going to be very disappointed.

Every time I see people tweeting or making forum posts going "fuck Microsoft, PS4 all the way". It's just like, dude, you don't get it.

I think most of these new restrictions aren't going to matter to me too much, since I tend to be one of the people that buys less than maybe a dozen games a year (not counting the little $20-or-less purchases I make here or there) and I play those few games quite a bit. I'm mostly all for digital-only since I'd rather have the convenience of being able to re-download and not deal with a disc (no more scratches, shorter load times, no more trying to find the damn thing, etc).

The fact that the games need to rely on online service to function is concerning. I'm hoping they end up doing what a lot of publishers do with software after several years: just turn off the connection requirement and let it work by itself. At some point they won't get profits from those games anymore, so there's no reason to keep the connection requirement.

It's amazing how during the showing for Dead Rising 3, exclusive to XBOX 1, I went from liking the game, to thinking it was ok, to just bored with it. The original Dead Rising was the reason I originally bought a 360, but this new game, just did nothing for me.

Also, the UK price point is £430, and the US is $499.

So the Xbox One reveal was not a great moment for Microsoft in terms of lack of focus on gaming and highlighting a lot of the worries that people had heard rumours about. Their E3 conference was their opportunity to focus on the main gaming reasons of buying their console.

...mehh....Dead Rising 3 I guess...Quantum Break looks kinda interesting....

But ~£400? "Yer 'aving a giraffe"

Microsoft put on a very tepid press conference.
- Price is about what I expected.
- Copying Playstation Plus with the free games is smart, if maybe a little too late at this point.
- The new 360 model seems totally unnecessary.
- I'd like to say Quantum Break looks good, but I still don't know what it's supposed to be.
- D4 is the only game that stands out to me.
- I swore the Minecraft thing was a joke when I saw it.

Microsoft executive Don Mattrick says the company has a console for gamers who can't get online, and it's called the Xbox 360.
One of the big issues gamers have with the Xbox One is its internet connectivity requirement. While it technically doesn't require an "always on" connection, it does have to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours, or once an hour if you're accessing your library from a separate console - and if you exceed those limits, you'll be locked out of your games until you're able to get online.
That's a pretty big deal, because it effectively locks out gamers who have limited or no internet access - and they're out there - or who simply have a problem with the idea of being arbitrarily denied access to the games they bought and paid for. But Mattrick, Microsoft's President of Interactive Entertainment Business, told GTTV that the company already has offline gamers covered.
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity. It's called Xbox 360," he said.
"If you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device. When I read the blogs and thought about who's really the most impacted, there was a person who said, 'Hey, I'm on a nuclear sub.' I don't even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub but I've got to imagine that it's not easy to get an internet connection," he continued. "I can empathize, if I was on a sub I'd be disappointed."
The implication that only people living in submarines would have problems with the online requirement notwithstanding, Mattrick claimed Microsoft knew there would be resistance to the decision but said people would come to embrace the idea of a connected console once they actually had a chance to see it in action.
"It's a super-passionate community of people. They're loving what we do, it's very important to them, and they're opinionated and they're smart. So they look at all these things and they say, 'Hey, is this going to impact me in a negative way?'" he said. "And until you use it, it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are."
His position isn't without validity - it is a "service-based world," as he put it, and things generally are better on the internet - but his turn of phrase sounds dangerously like a dismissal of valid gamer concerns. Of course, it's not the first time Mattrick has had that problem; discussing the Xbox One's lack of compatibility with Xbox 360 games last month, he made a big splash when he said, "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards."

This is the result of people looking at numbers and doing focus groups.

They believe they can actually exclude a sector of the consumer base and make money off the one's they're specifically marketing to.

This is the result of people looking at numbers and doing focus groups.

They believe they can actually exclude a sector of the consumer base and make money off the one's they're specifically marketing to.

My question is, who exactly are they marketing to? It seems like they are just going out of their way to piss everyone off.