Episode 78

RSS

One day I need to do a Wacky Costume Parade.

Go to any convention my friend. You'll see one, wether its intentional or not.

Dumb question. I know in the past you guys mentioned possibly doing Trial of a Timelord in one episode. Was just wondering if that was still on the agenda for the purposes of watching along.

That is still the plan, yes.

Is there anything special planned for the 100th episode, or just proceed like the 99 that came before it due to the mapping out of the show?

Honestly, we've BARELY discussed it. As it stands now, episode 82 (the Trial episode) will very probably be a long one, and then episode 90 is scheduled to be a retrospective of the classic series before we launch into Eccleston, and that will probably ALSO be a long one. I'd be surprised if we let episode 100 pass without comment, but as of now, especially with a couple of special ones coming so recently before that, I don't know if we're going to go too balls-out.

Aha! Great minds!

As it stands, episode 90 will be used to look back at the classic era, so I doubt we'll do another special 10 episodes later.

Is the movie going to be part of the classic series (since McCoy regenerates in it), or it's own separate entity?

The BBC considers it part of the classic series, so that's what we have it as.

As it stands, episode 90 will be used to look back at the classic era, so I doubt we'll do another special 10 episodes later.

Is the movie going to be part of the classic series (since McCoy regenerates in it), or it's own separate entity?

The BBC considers it part of the classic series, so that's what we have it as.

I'm going to send an email about this closer to the coverage anyway, but what about fandom? Clearly, as it does have McCoy, it has more connective tissue with the classic series and it took a while into Tennant's run for it to be accepted as connective tissue for the modern series.

But one could make a case that because it was co-produced by Fox that it is just an oddity in between both series that just happens to be part of cannon. Kind of the way Paramount treats the Animated Star Trek series.

I can kind of understand why a British listener might not pick up on how bad her American accent is. I will sometimes listen to someone putting on a UK accent and not think anything of it when apparently it's pretty inaccurate. I listen to Nicola Bryant's accent and can immediately see it's put on because I am American, while British listeners might not pick up on it. So I can forgive JNT or Colin not realizing it's not very good.

And it's not very good.

As a bit of a language geek, I'm forced to agree (especially the 'Elton John' line). I've got the impression, though, that Peri's 'Americanity' was something that was also subject to interference. Nicola would apparently try to alter the occasional Britishism in her lines to something more American, but she'd be told to go with the original (she tried to persuade them that Peri would say 'cops' instead of 'policemen', and had to push for the American pronunciation of 'herbs').

Tegan actually had a lot of the same issue. Janet Fielding really is Australian, but doesn't sound much like Tegan in real life. They were playing to 'What we think Australians sound like' rather than 'What they actually do'.

• 2 weeks later...