Deathrace 3000

Missy

Anderson Developing Deathrace 3000

Paul W.S. Anderson will write and direct Paramount's Deathrace 3000, a remake of the cult Roger Corman film Deathrace 2000, says Variety. The trade adds that the deal has sparked Viacom into talks for a companion videogame.

Anderson, who last directed Alien vs. Predator and Resident Evil, will join Corman and C/W partners Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner as producers, as will Anderson's Impact Pictures partner Jeremy Bolt.

The Paul Bartel-directed original is considered a B-movie classic, a campy and polemical black comedy that pitted David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone in a race where drivers accumulated points for running over pedestrians. Anderson's got a different vision, planning a mix of Road Warrior and road kill.

"The original was so much about decimating pedestrians that the actual race was almost irrelevant, and I want to restore that," Anderson said. "Set in 2020, ours is an ultraviolent, no-holds-barred race with heavily armed Escalades, Ferraris and Aston Martins."

Anderson, who wrote and produced the sequel Resident Evil: Apocalypse, is producing with Bolt and Constantin an adaptation of the videogame DOA: Dead or Alive, which starts production in six weeks. Anderson also is writing a third "Resident Evil" film.

(source: Variety)

I love Deathrace 2000 and I've always wanted to see a modern remake/sequel, but not one directed by this guy. Ugh.

To me, focusing on the race aspect of the film is like revealing Leatherface's origin -- a useless waste of time. The actual race wasn't important; the film was a violent political statement, but Anderson doesn't seem to realize that. Instead, he's more concerned with the sexy cars.