New years resolutions 2012

SuaveStar

Well, time to set some unrealistic resolutions:

Mines are simple this year.

1: Get a driving license. I've been learning to drive since July, so hopefully, I'll pass this time.

2: Drop some weight. My weight slightly ballooned last year. So, I want to drop a few stone over this next twelve months.

3: Save money.

Another year, let's go. I'm going to try to keep simple, keep school out of this.

-Try to keep my living space clean. While I keep the rest of the apartment immaculate, my own room is on the edge of not being habitable.

-Get Pax East and C2E2 worked out. Simple, easy, fun.

-Keep constant with any podcast editing. Pretty simple really. Try not to be late too often because I procrastinate.

-Become better with money. This ties in with the con stuff. I need to save money now since both are less than 4 months away.

-Lose Weight. I'm not going for dramatic weight loss but still, a little less would be nice.

As 2011 was a surprising success, I'm going to up the ante for 2012. And my family have helpfully added some of their own suggestions:

- Fully write up all 3 journals by the end of the year: I've started typing up my first museum journal, but I REALLY need to speed the process up if I'm going to use it effectively.

- Start formal legal training: I will one day work in a museum. Until then, I work for a large law firm and in order to progress, I need to do more studying. That way I can get paid enough to fulfil my larger ambitions!

- Attend C2E2: In part to meet more of the Earth-2 folk, in part because there are more museums to do in Chicago, in part because I want to return to Kingston Mines, in part because...Hell, I just want to go back this once! And with no Stavros or Adham this time around, I will fulfil my destiny as the token Brit!

- Be in London to experience the Olympics: Fairly self-explanatory. I don't have tickets to anything, but I'd like to wander around as it was going on. The same applies to my former housemate's stag do & wedding, my Dad participating in the Royal Jubilee and taking up my friend's invite to go around all of Ironbridge Gorge.

- Gain financial stability: Right now, I'm struggling to manage to repay my MA loan and pay rent on a monthly basis without dipping into my overdraft limit. By the end of the year, I want to be able to pay those comfortably whilst being able to save something on the side.

Family decreed resolution (physical):

- Cycle the width of Britain: Luckily, I live in Newcastle, which is practically one end of the narrowest width of the country. Better than that, Hadrian's Wall runs the length of this stretch, so I can have a number of cultural stops! I'm not a natural cyclist but I do own a (long-neglected) bicycle and I have a relative who has done this before, so I can ask him for guidance. Certainly doable, although it will require training.

Family decreed resolution (cultural):

- Attempt to get something museum-related published: Whilst the 1st resolution will take up a LOT of time, it serves as the data which I can then write quite a bit about. If I can establish a non-blogspot publisher that would be interested in my travels, then that could be the foundation upon which to base my future non-law career.

- Continue podcasting: Probert-willing, this is as good as achieved.

Mum's suggested resolutions:

- Stop drinking alcohol: Guaranteed fail there.

- Acquire a girlfriend: Bless her!

- Lose weight: Worth another go, I suppose.

Oh, and one last resolution:

- Release the Captain America edition of Comic Reel-lief.

I think I'd be pushed to achieve the beer/weight resolutions, but if I can acieve the other 10, then I will have had a bloody awesome year! 2011 was a good year for setting myself up - 2012 could well be a very significant year!!

Or it won't be, and I'll merely be the same and aged 27. Either way, there's lots to aim for!!

- Write more, last year i got back into writing from not doing it at all for about two years previous. This year I will finish a book, it may not be published but it will be finished.

- Loose at least fifty pounds, I'm a big guy and I'm proud of it, the only problem is my health is having serious problems and some under lying factors could be my weight.

- Get my brain back in order, I've never been the sanest person around but being a bit less out there could really help.

- Get a job.

- help my family be happy

- be happy

-First the old stand by I have every year of getting bigger and stronger (what can I say, I'm addicted to the gym and always try to do better)

-If I end up being stateside this year - get my drivers liscence back (I haven't had it since 2007)

-Stop the one night stands, as much fun as they are, I'm almost 30 and it's time to look into a serious relationship

• 11 months later...
Lose at least 25 pounds. Preferably 50.

Since Christmas morning, I've made an effort to hit the gym every morning (for at least an hour) and really bust my ass. And since the first of the year, I've been watching what I eat.

I lost 68 pounds. At one point I was down 77, but I didn't like how it felt, so I put about 10 pounds back on.

weight-loss-01.jpg

weight-loss-02.jpg

Way to go, Mike!

-Get the fuck into grad school.

-Don't let myself get fall prey to inertia if I don't.

-Get something resembling savings into place.

-On that note, if I get funding for grad school, start looking into moving out on my own.

-Didn't happen, ah well.

-I wouldn't call deciding to stay with the current job inertia. The boss/working environment isn't exactly the greatest, but that will be changing, as she's due to retire halfway through this year. And if it doesn't get better after that, well, then yes, it's time to look into positions in another part of the university.

-Eheh, not so much. Need to work on that.

-The first didn't happen, but the second did! I can has my own apartment!

Mike, that is brilliant. Congratulations.

Well, time to set some unrealistic resolutions:

Mines are simple this year.

1: Get a driving license. I've been learning to drive since July, so hopefully, I'll pass this time.

2: Drop some weight. My weight slightly ballooned last year. So, I want to drop a few stone over this next twelve months.

3: Save money.

1: After changing instructors, and sitting my test a few more times, in October of 2012, I finally got my driving license!

2: What was I thinking, My weight fluctuated throughout the year, and life sort of happened, but yeah, failed this one.

3: I was able to save enough money, and sell some of my collections to afford an iMac, So, that was good.

Yeah, I have to tip my hat to you, Mike. I made the mistake of showing your post to my folks, and they reckon that should be my aim.

Anyways, let's see how I did

As 2011 was a surprising success, I'm going to up the ante for 2012. And my family have helpfully added some of their own suggestions:

- Fully write up all 3 journals by the end of the year: I've started typing up my first museum journal, but I REALLY need to speed the process up if I'm going to use it effectively.

Too busy to get my journals typed up, although plans have been drawn up to address this in 2013

]

- Start formal legal training: I will one day work in a museum. Until then, I work for a large law firm and in order to progress, I need to do more studying. That way I can get paid enough to fulfil my larger ambitions!

Consider it started!

- Attend C2E2: In part to meet more of the Earth-2 folk, in part because there are more museums to do in Chicago, in part because I want to return to Kingston Mines, in part because...Hell, I just want to go back this once! And with no Stavros or Adham this time around, I will fulfil my destiny as the token Brit!

Epic fail. Desparately wanted to go, but the financial impossibility was eventually spelled out to me. I'll definitely return one day though.

- Be in London to experience the Olympics: Fairly self-explanatory. I don't have tickets to anything, but I'd like to wander around as it was going on. The same applies to my former housemate's stag do & wedding, my Dad participating in the Royal Jubilee and taking up my friend's invite to go around all of Ironbridge Gorge.

I did sample the Olympics, albeit not in London. I watched a match of the football qualification stages, which was pretty fun! Everything else mentioned above I went to.

- Gain financial stability: Right now, I'm struggling to manage to repay my MA loan and pay rent on a monthly basis without dipping into my overdraft limit. By the end of the year, I want to be able to pay those comfortably whilst being able to save something on the side.

'Fraid not! But I reckon a March re-financing will solve this.

Family decreed resolution (physical):

- Cycle the width of Britain: Luckily, I live in Newcastle, which is practically one end of the narrowest width of the country. Better than that, Hadrian's Wall runs the length of this stretch, so I can have a number of cultural stops! I'm not a natural cyclist but I do own a (long-neglected) bicycle and I have a relative who has done this before, so I can ask him for guidance. Certainly doable, although it will require training.

Achievement!

Family decreed resolution (cultural):

- Attempt to get something museum-related published: Whilst the 1st resolution will take up a LOT of time, it serves as the data which I can then write quite a bit about. If I can establish a non-blogspot publisher that would be interested in my travels, then that could be the foundation upon which to base my future non-law career.

Will have to carry over....

- Continue podcasting: Probert-willing, this is as good as achieved.

Huzzah!

Mum's suggested resolutions:

- Stop drinking alcohol: Guaranteed fail there.

- Acquire a girlfriend: Bless her!

- Lose weight: Worth another go, I suppose.

How prescient I was 12 months ago....

Oh, and one last resolution:

- Release the Captain America edition of Comic Reel-lief.

Done!

4 achievements, 6 failures and one partial fulfilment. Could have done better, but I feel I'm in a better position to get stuff done for 2013.