Arrow

JackFetch

It's definitely a "bluish" navy-gray, but it is really muted compared to the red. I remember hearing various costume designers talk about red and blue in regards to live-action superhero costumes. The general idea is that you want to have either red or blue be vibrant, but not both, otherwise you end up in more cheesy territory like the Reeve Superman films or most of the Spider-Man films. That's why the Superman Returns suit has a vibrant blue but a downplayed red, and the Man of Steel suit has a vibrant red but a downplayed blue. In Arrow, something like this makes more sense.

I honestly thought the blue in Tobey Maguire's costume was WAY washed out. It got lighter as the films went on, then was truly blue in the Marc Webb films, but for the first two pictures especially the blue looked completely muted to me.

The suit look decent, if a bit too busy for my tastes. Looks like he can barely move in that thing.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be cynical, but I do wonder if the producers of Arrow are only introducing The Atom because of Ant-Man.

What's interesting is that with Atom they've barely talked about the idea of miniaturization at all, whereas with Ant-Man they pretty much are like, "he gets tiny and commands ants; isn't that AWESOME?!"

It's already been confirmed that Ray Palmer will jump over to The Flash at some point, so maybe the fun sci-fi shrinking angle will become a thing there.

Honestly, as hardcore a Marvel guy as I am, I've always thought the Atom was a much cooler, more interesting character.

Ray Palmer is arguably more deserving of a show than Green Arrow is, really.

Honestly, as hardcore a Marvel guy as I am, I've always thought the Atom was a much cooler, more interesting character.

Ray Palmer is arguably more deserving of a show than Green Arrow is, really.

It would be difficult, I think, to center a weekly show around the Atom. However, adding him to the mix works wonders. Unlike Ant-Man, who, again, talks to ants and gets pretty small, Ray Palmer can travel instantaneously over phone lines, shrink to subatomic levels, and jump on a guy at a millimeter in size but with his full 180-pound body weight and fuck that guy up hard. He's able to use his ability to shrink in useful and interesting ways, whereas Henry Pym and Scott Lang both (to my reading, anyway) were far less able to do so.

Scott Lang is a great character, don't get me wrong, but that's because Scott is an interesting guy with a great story. Hank was pretty much useless until he became a giant.

• 1 month later...

No joke, I was rewatching the first half of season 2 today and I had the exact same thought. The funny thing is that when it was originally airing, it didn't stand out much at all because no one had any idea it was leading to The Flash. It was just a weirdly reoccurring detail that everyone forgot about.

• 3 months later...

And according to Berlanti, it's also supposed to have a lighter tone. Which may be evidenced by the not-entirely-dark picture up there. I think that's the first press photo for Arrow that hasn't been taken either in a dark room or outside at night.

Also, that new costume looks pretty rad. I like that the original green hood that Ollie's been wearing for the first three seasons is finally gone; maybe he's actually letting go of being a damaged stiff-ass from the island.

I have to get my hands on Constantine.

As for Arrow, I just watched the Flash episode "Flash vs. Arrow," and that just might get me to watch Arrow. I love how Ollie has no problems shooting Barry in the back as a way to train him to scout the area first.

• 3 weeks later...