X-Men: Days of Future Past

Koete

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there any indication that Trask was stealing Government money before he was a newspaper headline? Because he's portrayed as a flawed idealist throughout the film, a guy who is honestly trying to make the world a better place, but I guess not.

Trask actually went to jail for attempting to sell state secrets (because remember, the Sentinels were developed in conjunction with the military) to Vietnam. Lucky he didn't get treason.

As for the Trask family, after Bolivar dies in the comics, he still had years of family who continue to be dicks. His son was a mutant and still made sentinels.

Finally got to see it tonight. Was initially planning to skip this one, as I'm actually not that high on Singer's first two X-films, but couldn't after seeing the trailers and all the enthusiasm and spoiler boxes here.

There are some great action scenes and it's good to see another X-Men film with less Wolverine and almost no Storm in it. However, beyond the fuckload of continuity inconsistencies, I had a lot of problems with it. It also had things in it that reminded me why I don't like X-Men and X-Men 2 all that much:

-Why are Stryker's men so trigger-lazy in the mutant tent? They weren't ordered by Trask or anyone to spare Mystique by then, right?

-Kitty should be dead from Wolverine gutting her well before the climax of the future portion of the film.

-Mystique should be dead from jumping naked several stories from a building.

-Nixon was not a good president, but even he would not need an aide to inform him that a high-security level prisoner escaped from a building across the river from him.

-I actually do feel it dragged in a few places.

-Even in a pre-9/11 world and even in France, I do not buy Magneto walking around in plain clothes without anyone but Mystique recognizing him--whether as the man locked away for killing Kennedy or the freak at the peace conference.

-Magneto plans to take a sweeping mutant extermination device and turn it against non-mutants. Been there (or will be there), done that (or will do that).

-My biggest problem with all the X-Men films is that almost all the mutants outside of Wolverine, Magneto, and Professor X have no personalities to them whatsoever. Quicksilver was an awesome character and Aaron Johnson has enormous shoes to fill in Avengers 2, but Kitty, Iceman, Colossus, Blink, and Bishop are all powers and plot devices, not characters. And Beast is downgraded to a Jekyll-Hyde figure who's willing to brutally murder Magneto. That's not Hank McCoy at all.

I know a lot of those are minor, but taken together, they really irked me. So overall, kinda average.

Gonna reply to all those in one spoiler block below rather than quote everything individually.

-Why are Stryker's men so trigger-lazy in the mutant tent? They weren't ordered by Trask or anyone to spare Mystique by then, right?
My impression was that they were caught very much off-guard, and she did use a human shield at one point.

-Kitty should be dead from Wolverine gutting her well before the climax of the future portion of the film.
It's not clear how much time actually passes in the future scenes, but her wounds weren't *that* severe. The reason she was dying is that they weren't able to properly bandage her up and she couldn't relax yet. She might have also had some internal bleeding, but it was apparently slow.

-Mystique should be dead from jumping naked several stories from a building.
Mystique has some kind of healing/durability thing. Which makes sense considering she can alter her physiology at will. She did survive Wolverine's triple-stabbing in X1 after all.

-Nixon was not a good president, but even he would not need an aide to inform him that a high-security level prisoner escaped from a building across the river from him.
He wasn't informed because he didn't know who Erik Lensherr was until then. Erik's "killing" of Kennedy was kept top-secret, hence why everyone constantly had to have that explained to them.

-Even in a pre-9/11 world and even in France, I do not buy Magneto walking around in plain clothes without anyone but Mystique recognizing him--whether as the man locked away for killing Kennedy or the freak at the peace conference.
No one knows he "killed" Kennedy and there wasn't necessarily clear footage of Erik's face. It's nothing like today where a camera phone can get an HD photo of someone at a glance and instantly have that face across all of Twitter; what little footage there was of the incident was blurry and shaky. Compared to the two blue mutants, Erik is basically "just a guy."

-Magneto plans to take a sweeping mutant extermination device and turn it against non-mutants. Been there (or will be there), done that (or will do that).
Technically he turned the Sentinels against all his enemies, not just humans. And while it might be similar to X2 idea-wise, it didn't really have the same dramatic effect on the story. In DOFP Magneto didn't *need* the Sentinels; he just took them over in order to render them inert and make for some irony. In X2 he tried to use Cerebro to deliberately execute all of humanity.

-My biggest problem with all the X-Men films is that almost all the mutants outside of Wolverine, Magneto, and Professor X have no personalities to them whatsoever. Quicksilver was an awesome character and Aaron Johnson has enormous shoes to fill in Avengers 2, but Kitty, Iceman, Colossus, Blink, and Bishop are all powers and plot devices, not characters. And Beast is downgraded to a Jekyll-Hyde figure who's willing to brutally murder Magneto. That's not Hank McCoy at all.
Between Mystique, Logan, and two versions each of Xavier and Erik, that's 4-6 main characters all with strong characterizations and motivations. So, yes, the other remaining 30-something mutants fall short, but that works just fine. It's not their story so they don't need a ton of focus. Sure, it reduces them to soldiers on a battlefield, but that's exactly what they are in the story.

I also don't think Beast was "downgraded;" he just wasn't the focus of the story. Also, about the "murder" thing, first of all this is a very young Beast who is still dealing with controlling his animal nature, not the much older and calmer Beast of X3. If he sees Erik try to murder his ex-girlfriend in front of his eyes, I can buy him snapping. Secondly, the way I interpreted the scene was that Beast was actually trying to stop Magneto by suffocating him. Maybe he was going to pull him out once the metal stopped moving. At least he didn't pull a Man of Steel and snap the guy's neck.

• 6 months later...