The clone army Star Wars

S-T

I watched "Star Wars: Episode II" this week, which brought up a question regarding the consistency of the storyline. Basically, here is the story so far. Senator Palpatine of Naboo is secretly Darth Sideous, a Dark Lord of the Sith. Palpatine engineers an invasion of Naboo by the Trade Federation. The crisis that follows in the Galactic Senate results in Palpatine being elected as Supreme Chancellor, with expanded powers. This, of course, is the first the to becoming Emperor.

Palpatine betrays the Trade Federation, sending them to Count Dooku to plan secession from the Republic. Count Dooku is secretly Darth Tryannus, another Sith Lord. Playing both sides against each other, Dooku and Palpatine hoodwink the Senate into granting Palpatine "emergency" powers far beyond his previous expanded powers. Palpatine then orders the creation of an "Army of the Republic". These are the clones that will eventually become Imperial Storm Troopers.

Here's the problem. An alien race began creation of the Clone Army ten years earlier. Other than some suspicion from Obi-Wan Kenobi and other Jedi about halfway though the movie, no one seems to question the use of these clones later on when they become the Army of the Republic, especially when Yoda shows up with the army to save the day. Shouldn't the fact that this army was in production for the last ten years have raised a red flag?

Here's the problem. An alien race began creation of the Clone Army ten years earlier. Other than some suspicion from Obi-Wan Kenobi and other Jedi about halfway though the movie, no one seems to question the use of these clones later on when they become the Army of the Republic, especially when Yoda shows up with the army to save the day. Shouldn't the fact that this army was in production for the last ten years have raised a red flag?

I think, and this is just speculation, that Palpatine (or Dooku, or maybe even Maul) is gonna turn out to have been Sipho Dias (I think Yoda says he disappeared). The thing is, the aliens had been given the order for the Republic, so when Palpatine commissioned the Army of the Republic, he already had it waiting, and just had to parade it in. Remember, Palpatine is exceptionally strong in the force, and makes constant references to being able to see the future in the original trilogy. It makes since that he would plan his coup years in advance, especially after meeting the young and ambitious Anakin Skywalker.

I'm not really sure how he was able to just bring in tens of thousands of troops to bring against Geonosis without anybody really questioning how, but if you put yourself into a Senator's shoes, it's not really that hard to fathom. After all, would you rather have a clone army from a far off planet fight and die or volunteers (or conscriptions) from your own population? Especially considering that the clones have already been paid for. I think there is gonna be some more about this in Episode III, as that isn't immediately clear.