Episode 82

RSS

Colin Baker's final season of Doctor Who begins and comes to an end in this episode of Bigger on the Inside. In the 14-part "The Trial of a Time Lord," The Doctor must fight for his remaining lives against a supposedly immortal robot ("The Mysterious Planet"), a returned Sil ("Mindwarp"), vulgar-looking plant-monsters ("Terror of the Vervoids"), and his accuser: The Valeyard ("The Ultimate Foe")! As Dan and Mike say goodbye to Peri and Colin Baker, they greet Mel, have fun with the Vervoid costumes, and Mike discovers a new fetish: grannies with assault rifles. [ 2:58:37 || 85.8 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_082.mp3

just to show you guys why we all hated Bonnie and her "i'll scream and scream and scream till i'm sthich" (think that's how you spell sick with a lisp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fuPCWAl-c

top show guys BTW this is my first post here but I've emailed a couple of times, looking forward to the Sylvester McCoy series as i pretty much stopped watching then so i'm looking forward to catching up with some stuff i haven't seen

Mel won't go down as my most favorite companion of all-time, but thus far she's been useful. And that's the number one trait I expect from a companion.

What did Peri do? She saved The Doctor's life. Once. That's it. Otherwise she was taken hostage, ogled, stammered, turned into a bird, and forgotten about.

Mel, on the other hand, placed her headset microphone into an air duct to record a devious conversation, and she saved the Time Lords. That's in two stories. Even if she does nothing else afterwards, she's been more productive than Peri.

Is she a bit of a "gee-golly, Doctor" character? Sure. But I can at least stomach that.

Even I'm having trouble coming up with things Peri did. It's a lot easier to make up stuff.

Remember the time Peri wrestled that bear that was inside the TARDIS?

My favorite was the time she was abducted by Sil and turned into a Human Centipede with Dodo and Katarina.

I hate the way this series was when they started to do everything on video tape. It made the show look so cheap.

At the very least, I like the consistant visuals of the indoor and outdoor scenes.

I hate the way this series was when they started to do everything on video tape. It made the show look so cheap.

At the very least, I like the consistant visuals of the indoor and outdoor scenes.

The consistent visuals are good, but videotape DOES look cheap, ESPECIALLY outdoors. They still shoot on video today, but they put it through the "filmisation" process so it looks better. That process didn't exist in the 80s. I'm not sure why I think video is okay in studio but not on location, but for whatever reason I can accept it more readily indoors than out.

My favorite was the time she was abducted by Sil and turned into a Human Centipede with Dodo and Katarina.

That's pretty unfair. Katarina pressed a button and it saved the Doctor and Steven AND Bret Vyon, which in turn let the Doctor continue his mission to stop the Daleks' Master Plan. I don't think the stakes in Revelation of the Daleks were nearly as high.

Wait a minute. Could this mean that mean Katarina was more useful than Peri?

but, but, but she got the Doctor killed, not many companions achieve that :D she deserves a Perpugilliam Brown star for excellence!

thinking of her accent i have decided that i want Dick Van Dyke to be the next doctor with Peri and Brian Blessed as companions.

i am not being completely flippant with that suggestion :D

On a side note i tried to sign up to that Ian Levine forum so i had something to read with me popcorn, but alas it seems that either they are very slow at authorizing people or totally paranoid about my user name or somin. I did find a nice long thread on outpost Gallifrey though which kept me amused for a bit, oh and this twitter feed :Dhttps://twitter.com/#!/Fake_Ian_Levine

I don't know much about the guy tbh, have heard bits and pieces and interested to know if he is a prick or not basically (plus drama is always good to read with me popcorn :D i am a simple muppet)

One big dick move of his getting Chad Moore's YouTube account, which had a load of good reconstructions, suspended. Well at least I'm convinced he had some part in it because he got really upset at Moore's Celestial Toymaker reconstruction:

"I saw you have stolen Loose Cannon's Celestial Toymaker and put it up on YouTube. That's theft. I must warn you that unless you remove all trace of it, I shall personally contribute to their legal fees to sue you for copyright theft of intellectual property. How dare you treat them in such a lowlife reprehensible underhand way, after all the good they have tried to do. You give Doctor Who fans a bad name. Do not reply to this. I have no desire to correspond with you, only to warn you of an impending lawsuit."

Ian also threatened to sue a guy who made a youtube video that made fun of him by doing an impression.

He also came up with the idea and wrote and produced "Doctor in Disress". Another problem is that in the uk in the 80s and 90s, anytime there was any news story or anything about doctor who. They would always interview Ian, and he would act like he spoke for all fans. He often made us all look bad.

Link: he is the guy who says he has seen every episode.

Thanks for the information :)

I must admit i am erring towards the "he's a bit of a prick" side of things, but if that's the case it would be almost tragic in some ways as he seems to be totally into the doctor and you would of thought after being into it so much he would have a more interesting outlook on life. I'm probably not saying it well as i am not 100% sober atm :D but i sort of mean the show doesn't exactly say go around suing/pushing people about and being a bit of a twat and the more i read the more he seems to be sort of a bully almost :o

One thing that interested me was him saying that the show had fallen too into pantomime and lost it's way type thing, i guess this was after he was working on the show? just had a quick relook and he says the past 8-9 years been a mockery, so i guess that must include some of the time he was an advisor type thing. (bit of a snide stab at JNT i thought tbh).

I'll stop waffling now :) oo though must say I would never think of Tom Baker as much quieter than Jon Pertwee :D

With regards to the issue of DVD commetaries which aren't backslapping, Des & I brought one up in episode 335 of Earth-2.net: The Show. The director's cut of DareDevil has Mark Steven Johnson sitting alongside the evil Marvel Mastermind Avi Arad explaining the differences between the theatrical cut and Johnson's vision.

Listening to it, Johnson seems down on the finished film due to how it was cut, whereas Arad does his utmost to convince him that the theatrical cut was good and it was beacuse Johnson made it work.

With regards to the issue of DVD commetaries which aren't backslapping, Des & I brought one up in episode 335 of Earth-2.net: The Show. The director's cut of DareDevil has Mark Steven Johnson sitting alongside the evil Marvel Mastermind Avi Arad explaining the differences between the theatrical cut and Johnson's vision.

Listening to it, Johnson seems down on the finished film due to how it was cut, whereas Arad does his utmost to convince him that the theatrical cut was good and it was beacuse Johnson made it work.

Ooh. I have that. I'll have to listen to it.

the comentary for the classic who story The Leisure Hive. Christopher Bidmead is actulay quite rude about parts of the story, with the directer and Lalla Ward both with him. he is quite happy to tell them when he thinks they have done something wrong. In fact any commentary with Bidmead in it he comes across as a bit of a big headed idiot. In the castrovalva on. There is a moment when he tell eveyone to be quiet so they can hear the great lines that he wrote.