Episode 237

RSS

A science fiction meditation of depression, a sincere bikers versus zombies novella, a look at a franchise of Thai supernatural gore films, a Bruce Springsteen parody song, and a sober tribute to a legendary French artist. This week's Dread Media is as diverse as ever. First, Desmond and Darryll review Lars von Trier's intense <i>Melancholia</i>. Then Desmond goes solo on Greg Lamberson's new novella from Creeping Hemlock Press: <i>Carnage Road</i>. Continuing his tour of southeast Asia, Devil Dinosaur, Jr. talks about the first two films in the <i>Art of the Devil</i> series in the latest Stay Scary. Then, finally, Desmond accompanies Tom Deja in this week's Macabre Musical Theatre in their rendition of "Universal City." We're sorry. Other songs of note: "And Sadness Will Sear" by Trivium, "Depression" by Black Flag, "The Long Road" by Tiger Army, "Black Magic" by Slayer, and "Temple of Your Dreams" by Monster Magnet. RIP Jean "Moebius" Giraud. [ 1:40:09 || 48.3 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_237.mp3

Great ep, Des + chums! The Springsteen parody is my favourite MMT thus far, the Stay Scary feature was "hella" interesting and I was really into the music this week.

I'm in two minds about whether I want to see Melancholia. As a rule, I try and avoid depressing films as my day job has me read social services records of Claimants who claim abuse during their youth. My soul can only handle so much depression. And whilst I know Lars Von Trier revels in misanthropic films, I feel strangely compelled to check out his films. Your review convinces me that I want to watch Melancholia, but I probably wouldn't enjoy it, in equal measure. Yes, I want to see Kirsten Dunst naked, but at the same time, I can find those pictures online and save myself a dose of depression. I'm not such a pussy that I can't stand to watch any kind of drama, but Lars Von Trier has a certain reputation for downbeat filmmaking.

Oh, for sure. Lars von Trier is one of my favorite filmmakers. It, in my opinion, is impossible to deny that he is one of the greatest living filmmakers right now. But, I would have to REALLY know the person to even begin to recommend one of his films to them.

Brutal.

I know what you mean, Slothian. I have yet to approach ANTICHRIST for reasons similar to yours. At this point in my life such a negative viewing experience just doesn't seem worth my time. I want to be engaged by motion pictures; emotionally, intellectually, sexually, whatever. A film that depresses is not on my list right now.

Having said that, I also agree with Dread. Lars is one of our finest filmmakers. His visual aesthetic is second to none and his ability to achieve a particular tone and maintain it is unmatched. The quality of the anxiety and the feeling of impending doom he creates in MELANCHOLIA is actually worth checking out. It's nihilism at it's artful best.

But MELANCHOLIA is also (and I believe we neglected to mention this in the review) damn funny. Yes, it's funny. Particularly, Udo Kier. His small contribution to the film is hilarious. We need those laughs early in the film to gird us for the very deep and realistic portrayal of mental illness that pervades the second half of the film.

So, while I sympathize with your trepidation, Slothian, I think I can recommend the film without hesitation.

And oh, yeah, Kirsten Dunts' boobs are totally worth it. Amazing.