Episode 86

RSS

The Cybermen, a woman from 1638, and a Nazi want to get their hands on an all-powerful weapon The Doctor seemingly created ages ago ("Silver Nemesis"). Then The Doctor and Ace visit a deadly circus where they become the acts ("The Greatest Show in the Galaxy"). Also, Mike doesn't understand the titles of British sitcoms, the perils of white men in their 30s writing rap, and Dan's greatest secret is revealed! [ 1:56:00 || 55.8 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_086.mp3

Why is it I feel anytime Mike & Dan get on the "you damn kids with your newfangled ways" soapbox I feel ashamed of my age group?

Thanks for saying that there are always exceptions, Dan as I feel like one with my tastes in a lot of things. I could however just be blowing smoke up my own ass as Don Draper once said "Young people don't know anything, especially that they're young."

P.S. Since you brought up Archie Bunker at one point. Did you like the spin off? I mean Archie/Carol has some good acting moments in the post Edith years but It's just not the same to me.

-Sky

P.S. Since you brought up Archie Bunker at one point. Did you like the spin off? I mean Archie/Carol has some good acting moments in the post Edith years but It's just not the same to me.

I'm not 100% certain I ever saw Archie Bunker's Place. All in the Family was a couple of years before my time and I only ever saw it in reruns.

Since you brought up Archie Bunker at one point. Did you like the spin off? I mean Archie/Carol has some good acting moments in the post Edith years but It's just not the same to me.

Outside of a few minutes here and there, I've never seen Archie Bunker's Place.

Silver Nemesis is incredibly boring, and the fact that the resolution is basically a carbon copy of "Remembrance" (The Doctor allows a mystical item from the Time Lord's past to be captured by an enemy, have the enemy use it...but whoops, the Doctor's already preprogrammed it to destroy them) is bizarre...I have an intense dislike of Eric Saward, but i think even he as script editor would notice the same storyline in two shows in the same series.

I love the Greatest Show though...The Chief Clown is one of the creepiest villains for ages...I just love the whole atmosphere of it.

It'll be really interesting to hear what you think of Ghost Light...it really is a story that splits fandom. Personally, i love it.

I can enjoy a master manipulator character, but I would definitely agree that it's harder to write, perhaps harder than the guys writing this at the time thought--to use the Batman example, he can usually get away with being the smartest guy in the room with all his skills and his plans, but that usually means that the villains that he has to face have to be just as smart. To keep the example going, Batman is the world's greatest detective, but the reason why Joker is so vexing is that he's in a lot of ways as smart as Batman, and with his psychosis, it's hard to figure out what Joker will do next using normal means of detecting and deduction.

I mean, imagine if we had a full season of this master manipulator Doctor versus the actual Master--THAT would be interesting to see.

Wait...did you guys just say that Ace takes out a group of Cybermen with gold coins and a slingshot? Because...

1279702-lotdk22_super.jpg

Kind of hard to believe there are only two more episodes covering the classic series left.

So, Episode 91 is going to be the start of the NewWho? What about the shi...I mean stuff inbetween like Dimensions In Time and Fatal Death?

I will never understand all the love for Fatal Death. I find it very unfunny. Not that much different than all the other comedy skits about docotr who that had been done in other shows. But it does capture what the show was to everyone in 1999. Just a joke.

So, Episode 91 is going to be the start of the NewWho? What about the shi...I mean stuff inbetween like Dimensions In Time and Fatal Death?

We'll look (briefly, I hope) at DiT in 88. Fatal Death in 89.

Oh wow, were all these done around the same time? Tom Baker looks like has hasn't changed at all, but in Dimensions in Time he seems to have aged 20 years.

If memory serves, NJN was generally doing their thing in the mid to late 80s, and DiT was in 93. So a few years, but yes, the change in appearance for Tom was very dramatic.

We'll look (briefly, I hope) at DiT in 88. Fatal Death in 89.

Oh wow, were all these done around the same time? Tom Baker looks like has hasn't changed at all, but in Dimensions in Time he seems to have aged 20 years.

If memory serves, NJN was generally doing their thing in the mid to late 80s, and DiT was in 93. So a few years, but yes, the change in appearance for Tom was very dramatic.

88 will be a packed episode then. Fenric, survival, season 26, DiT, ACE, the 7th doctor and the JNT era

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I'm a bit late in commenting but I think I know why Ace has a fear of clowns. She has Batman earrings right? So it's possible she might have read some comics at some point... I mean after reading something like say, The Killing Joke... who wouldn't be afraid of clowns? ;)

Well, amazed that something squeezed past you guys. Nicolas Courtney was in episode 1 of silver Nemesis!!! Uncredited as a Tourist. Invited as part of the Silver anniversary "celebrations". Keep your eyes open for him if you can ever bring yourself to watch it again.