Episode 87

RSS

The immortal sorceress Morgaine and her wicked son Mordred seek to claim Excalibur as their own ("Battlefield"), then The Doctor aims to better Ace by forcing her to face an evil she felt in her youth ("Ghost Light"). Also: Dan gives The Doctor a rather unassuming name, Mike calls one of these two stories his new favorite, and both Ian Wilson and Tom Deja make appearances. [ 2:03:05 || 59.2 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_087.mp3

Ghost light has one of the best documentaries on any Doctor Who disc and it really is essential viewing before watching this episode. Ghostlight could have been a really great episode but so much was cut that the story didn't make sense anymore. The documentary fills in the blanks and pulls the whole thing into focus. Not for a newb but certainly one of the best of the 7th Doctor.

Battlefield is another that I feel underachieves. Could have done with a bit of atmosphere. It all seems a bit too bright and sunny.

Can't wait to hear what you guys think as unfortunately they don't let me listen to BOTI while in work.

yay for battlefield, The Brig is always great and you are right shooting devil in face > lobbing someone off a pyramid (though Ian also rocks)

I can't remember that much about Ghostlight tbh, but i remember liking the victorian house and stuff, certainly didn't dislike it anyways. probably confused me, but that is not unusual for things to do :)

without the hi-de-hi, how could you have a ho-de-ho?!

Mr Ian listed some great shows! :D one of which had the Master in it, well i spose i should use his alias "The Warchief", but we all know the truth there :D

Worzel was great, but Aunt Sally was a bit of a biatch, wish i could of pulled her head off :D

awesome Brig pic made me think of this tributey thing

one of the things i like about the Brig is that we get to see him age and stuff (plus he is great :D)

I think the actress who played Morgaine used to be Jon Pertwees wife as well

She was indeed (although long before either appeared on Doctor Who, from 1955 to 1960).

In the 80's she had a run of playing OTT witch like characters....her most famous being in Willow and in Return to Oz.

Wow, Ghostlight sounded insane, I actualyly want to watch it now to see if I can make heads or tails of it during my first viewing or if I'll have to consult other sources.

Work has been harsh but now if I have time I really want to watch Battlefeild, you guys make it sound amazing.

Also, any reccommendations for good Brig stories? This man sounds like god.

"Battlefield" is an absolute blast. I hope you enjoy it!

There aren't any Brig-centric stories, but he's featured heavily during Jon Pertwee's era. I would suggest "Inferno," in which we get to see an evil alternate reality Brig. "The Dæmons," in which he delivers he best line ever. And, as Dan said, "Ambassadors of Death," in which he shoots a lot of people.

Welcome to the forums!

"Mind of Evil" just has one of my all time favorite Brig moments, when he calls someone to turn around before he shoots him. That's the Brig all over: "I'm going to shoot you in the face until you die, but by God you'll be facing me when I do it."

Hello chaps,

Ben Aaronovitch and Andrew Cartmel seem to spend a fair bit of the DVD commentary on 'Battlefield' being critical of what they regard as production failings - has Dan had a chance to listen to this yet? It's a great moment when Angela Bruce basically tells them to stop moaning!

Ben's on Twitter, by the way - would you be brave enough to send him the link for your coverage of it? He's busy writing books at the moment, but might enjoy hearing what you think of it.

Welcome aboard, Andrew!

I'm pretty sure I've listened to that commentary, but I don't especially remember the ins and outs of it. I do know Ben and Andrew are pretty critical of the story, but I think I gleaned that from the special features more than anything else. I'll definitely have to give it a listen.

Ben's on the Twitter, you say? Hmm...

Thanks Dan. Nice to be here!

Angela says that she had a great time making it, enjoyed working with the other actors and got to eat a lot of sweets. So from her point of view it's a great story!

Ben's Twitter is @Ben_Aaronovitch and he's replied to us when time allows. He's currently writing the third book in his 'Rivers Of London' series, but might welcome a distraction... :)

Nothing to do with Battlefield (This is Ambassadors of Death if I'm not mistaken), but... c'mon. The Brigadier is awesome

the brig was so awesome in this episode i wish they would relese it on DVD

Nothing to do with Battlefield (This is Ambassadors of Death if I'm not mistaken), but... c'mon. The Brigadier is awesome.

242icyq.jpg

the brig was so awesome in this episode i wish it would be relesed on DVD