Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Missy

Looks like Robert Rodriguez has been given the green light to film two sequels to Sin City, and they're going to be shot back-to-back starting February 2006. Still no word on whether they'll adapt more stories from Miller's comic book series, or if the movies will contain all new content.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
It was reported earlier this year that Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller were interested in Angelina Jolie playing a lead role in the sequel to Sin City. Jolie was pregnant at the time, however, which would push back production, and Rodriguez instead started filming "Grindhouse" with Quentin Tarantino. ComingSoon.net/SuperheroHype.com caught up with "The Good Shepherd" star to ask whether she is still up for playing the role of Ava in the anticipated second film.

"We talked about it and I read the comic," Jolie told us. "I don't think the film is being made at this moment. When it's actually going to be made I'm sure we'll talk about it.

"It was a funny thing, because the idea came to me when I was pregnant," she added. "So it was this idea... I've been Clover (in 'The Good Shepherd'), depressed and quiet, and then I was feeling very maternal, pregnant. It was this idea of this sexy, violent and loud [character]... I thought maybe after I'm pregnant it would be nice to do."

It sounds like Rodriguez and Miller have their Ava if everything works out. A start date for Sin City 2 has not been announced.

In the graphic novel, Ava Lord is the dame to kill for. She is an ex-lover of Dwight McCarthy (Clive Owen) who manipulates men through her good looks and her supposed innocence.

http://superherohype.com/news.php?id=4985

• 3 weeks later...

It's official, Jolie is in Sin City 2!

While in Capri, Italy, to get an award, Frank Miller confirmed that Angelina Jolie will be playing Ava Lord in the Sin City sequel, that the script is ready and they plan to have the movie in the can for the end of 2007.

I'd give the link, but it's in Italian. Miller himself says it though.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well the Weinstein Company has lost the rights to Sin City 2. Troublemaker Studios will still produce, but no ward yet on who will distribute. Maybe Universal.

HERE ARE THE DETAILS:

Some monster news just his the website IESB this evening as they're reporting that the Weinstein Company has lost the rights to Sin City 2! "The specifics are not clear but some details are emerging that the movie will now be financed by a private equity group and an announcement is expected soon," the site writes. "Robert Rodriguez' Trouble Maker studios will still produce the film. No word on what studio may end up distributing. Universal Studios' name has come up as a possible contender. " Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Michael Clarke Duncan, Angelina Jolie, Rosario Dawson and Michael Madsen had all been confirmed to return in the sequel, but we'll have to see how things flesh out from here on out.

No word on what studio may end up distributing. Universal Studios' name has come up as a possible contender.

Well the Weinstein Company has lost the rights to Sin City 2. Troublemaker Studios will still produce, but no ward yet on who will distribute. Maybe Universal.

HERE ARE THE DETAILS:

Some monster news just his the website IESB this evening as they're reporting that the Weinstein Company has lost the rights to Sin City 2! "The specifics are not clear but some details are emerging that the movie will now be financed by a private equity group and an announcement is expected soon," the site writes. "Robert Rodriguez' Trouble Maker studios will still produce the film. No word on what studio may end up distributing. Universal Studios' name has come up as a possible contender. " Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Michael Clarke Duncan, Angelina Jolie, Rosario Dawson and Michael Madsen had all been confirmed to return in the sequel, but we'll have to see how things flesh out from here on out.

No word on what studio may end up distributing. Universal Studios' name has come up as a possible contender.

This is all BS, The Weinstein's still have the rights to the Sin City Sequels.

Also you can read about Rosario Dawson is now in "serious talks" with Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller about returning.

You can go to www.superherohype.com and read about all this.

• 2 weeks later...
The sequel rights to "Sin City," Frank Miller's popular noir comic, are being shopped around Hollywood, in what appears to be a sign that Dimension Films has lost rights to the property.

The Weinstein Co./Dimension continue to maintain that they hold the rights to any sequel for the Robert Rodriguez film, which grossed $159 million worldwide when it came out in 2005.

But producers say they have been shopped the rights by reps for Miller's estate, who they say are seeking a new place to set up a potential follow-up.

If the Weinsteins' option did lapse, it could have happened for reasons ranging from development inactivity to a decision not to pay to re-up. Sequel rights generally require a certain amount of activity within a defined period to remain with the original rights holder, though in many deals those periods stretch much longer than the four years that have elapsed since the original "Sin City" came out.

It is unclear what kind of involvement Rodriguez, who directed the first movie and has strong connections to both TWC and Miller, would have with a potential sequel.

"Sin City," starring Jessica Alba, Bruce Willis and Rosario Dawson, was made for about $45 million and told the story of corruption in the fictional Basin City; it garnered praise for its stylized violence and dark themes.

After its release, Dimension quickly put a sequel into development, with Angelina Jolie expressing interest in a role. The project, however, has since languished in development.

Online rumors that Dimension had lost the rights first surfaced several weeks ago but were quashed by TWC attorney Bert Fields, who called them "hogwash."

"TWC's rights to produce sequels to 'Sin City' remain intact as they always have been," he stated at the time. TWC said Wednesday that it stood by that statement.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...ebf8e57b889d9ba

I think I can hear the sound of lawyers getting ready to sue.