Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Missy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good parts of this movie:

-It was stylized neat

-Ninja ho was neat (her name was Miho but really she was ninja ho)

-Christopher Lloyd made this the best Back to the Future sequel ever

-JGL was real pretty when he was getting hurt

-Questionable arrow physics have never been so fun

The bad:

-Why did Jessica Alba need to become Edward Stripperhands?

-Never has Frank Miller's general contempt for women been more evident than in this movie.

-Tries real hard to be an homage to noir but just comes off like a fifth grader trying to be smart

-The timeline on this is really questionable at best

-Also a nice awkward dose of racism

-Really drink for misogyny and pointless T&A and you'll have alcohol poisioning in the first half hour

I wanna see this because I remember 9 years ago loving the first movie and really getting into the comics. Granted I was...16 and in high school, but still!

Actually this does look bad, has been reported to be bad and probably IS bad, but I do want to see it for how they interpret A Dame to Kill For. Just for the lulz. This will actually probably end up being a very lulzy movie.

Meh. The new stories aren't that original, and the main story strains the tolerance for the format. If they'ed done this 2 years after the original they might have retained a little of the mood and magic, but this is a hollow reunion, even with a good pair of leads in JGL and Brolin. There's just too many cast changes, and what I think is a glaring continuity issue but can't be sure.

Powers Boothe steals the show if anyone does. I mean, in terms of acting. Obviously there's attractive naked women. Though even that grows old. At a certain point you feel that Eva Green would be more comfortable in a thick woollen sweater.

edit- actually home from the cinema now. Given time to think about it, Sin City is one of those escapist things that borders parody so well that you can appreciate it without buying into it's Millarishness. The biggest problem with the sequel is that it's that moment where you realise that Miller and Rodriguez were serious about it, that they didn't just have this beautiful ultra-noir as a comment on those inherent qualities, it's actually meant to be a genre in it's own right, and that's the point when people of reasonable minds throw their hand up and walk away.

Just got home from seeing it. The new stories were definitely weaker than the main one taken from A Dame to Kill For.

Sin City is a story you cannot take seriously. The question on whether or not you'll like it lives and dies on one's tolerance for silly, braindead fun. As for the misogyny...I do hesitate to label Miller a mysogynist because he created not only Elektra, one of the best comic book characters ever, but Carrie Kelley and Ellen Yindel. Of course, that was all Pre-Sin City so maybe Miller wasn't comfortable with being upfront about his predelictions. Even still, the men in Sin City, mainly the bad guys, may not respect the women in the film, but the film seems to. Characters like Gail and Miho and even Ava Lord do carry their own agency and are pretty kickass. It all comes down to whether or not it matters that they're sexed up to hell and back. I've not figured it out for myself on how much that bothers me or not.