30 Day Comic Challenge- 2012 Edition

You Know Who

Thought it would be fun to do another edition of the classic thread Stavros posted a year ago, especially since we got some new members in the past year with some interesting tastes (here's looking at you, KennyEvil). Half of the categories are from the last thread but others I either tweaked or came up with because I thought they would be interesting to discuss (especially those for May 5th, 10th, 14th, 15th, and 30th). As with the first edition, you can post a cover or page of the comic book you select for each day and the less repetitive you can be, the better.

1st- Favorite Comic (Ongoing and/or Ever)

2nd- Least Favorite Comic (Ongoing and/or Ever)

3rd- Favorite Miniseries (13 issues or less)

4th- Least Favorite Miniseries (13 issues or less)

5th- A Comic With a Character You Can Identify With

6th- A Comic With a Your Favorite Male Character

7th- A Comic With Your Favorite Female Character

8th- A Comic With a Character You Hate

9th- A Comic With a Character You Don’t Give a Damn About

10th- A Comic You Like That A Lot of People Hate

11th- A Comic You Hate That A Lot of People Like

12th- A Comic From Your Favorite Independent Comics Company

13th- A Comic From Your Favorite Comics Company, Period

14th- Favorite title to come out of the DC reboot

15th- Least favorite title to come out of the DC reboot

16th- The Comic You Can Quote Best

17th- A Famous Comic That You’ve Never Read

18th- A Comic That No One Expected You To Like

19th- A Comic You Want to See Adapted as an Animated Series

20th- A Comic You Want to See Adapted for Live-Action Television

21st- A Comic You Want to See Made into a Theatrical Film

22nd- A Comic By Your Favorite Writer

23rd- A Comic By Your Least Favorite Writer

24th- A Comic By Your Favorite Artist

25th- A Comic By Your Least Favorite Artist

26th- A Comic With Your Favorite Inker/Colorist/Letterer (choose one)

27th- A Comic With Your Least Favorite Inker/Colorist/Letterer (choose one)

28th- Your Favorite Non-Superhero Comic

29th- Your Favorite Comic from Outside of the U.S.

30th- A Comic You Want to Raise Your Kids On

Do let me know if any of the categories I chose are redundant or can be improved upon.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm challenging myself to not use anything from last year. Should be fun.

May 1st- Favorite Ongoing Comic (Ever)

Current Ongoing:

250px-Joehilllockekey.jpg

I don't read a lot of horror comics. Locke and Key is my exception. The characters are all very engaging, the gore happens for a reason, and the mystery of the series is always there. I can't wait to see how it ends.

All-Time:

Spider-Man_Loves_Mary_Jane_1.jpg

Just a consistently fun series. I don't much care for the character of Mary Jane. I've always been a Gwen Stacey kind of guy. That said, this not only helped me see the appeal, it also made me see the appeal of Spider-man, a character I really didn't read enough of already.

May 1st- Favorite Ongoing Comic (Ever) Decided to steal Will's idea (Sorry)

Current (Through the hardcovers and I think they are still doing the monthlies together. Great writing, and fantastic art, I can't ask for anything more.)

InvincibleIronMan_20_Cover.jpg

Of all time, Batman. So, no changes from last year.

May 1st- Favourite Ongoing Comic (Ever)

Marvel Knights Daredevil-

822.jpg

Current ongoing is the same as Suaves. That book is fantastic and has been for a long time.

May 2nd - Least Favourite Comic (Ongoing and/or Ever)

Tough one, I don't tend to read ongoing stuff that I don't like. I'll come back to this.

Preston got it actually, although I liked a lot of Green Arrow from the Kevin Smith run onwards so the Krul reign is hell for different reasons.

2nd- Least Favorite Comic (Ongoing and/or Ever)

I was going to put Secret Six, after the giant middle finger Simone gave in the last issue "Fuck choosing, you can both marry me! I'm awesome! Squee! This is how gay relationships work! We all love polygamy! Squee!" also, while following her on twitter, I found her to be one of the most annoying people on that site.

Then I found out, I put Secret Six here last year, so, to try a different book, but will talk at more length about Simone later this month.

The_Unwritten_1.jpg

I don't see why this book got so much praise. It was basically someone who went to college to study English literature, and throw their useless knowledge into the readers face every other page. The art was standard for Vertigo, in that it looked nice, but nothing exceptional, the people looked like people, and that was it. This is the only book I've ever actually took pleasure in selling on eBay, as it was out of my house, and I need never read it again.

May 1st - Favourite Ongoing

2000ad_prog483_cover.jpg

Yes, I'm predictable.

May 2nd - Least Favourite Ongoing

38710-5567-43495-1-x-man_super.jpg

Pretty much for the storyline here. Emblematic of the problem with The Age of Apocalypse which was a great idea that injected some bad ones into the mainstream Marvel U. I heard it got better under Warren Ellis but I'd left by that point, pretty much skeezed out by the sort-of incest thing they had going on. At least Oedipus had the good grace to stab out his own eyes.

3rd- Favorite Miniseries (13 issues or less)

250px-Tale_of_One_Bad_Rat_1.png

Not sci-fi by even the loosest definition but it is an incredibly affecting tale of one girl's attempt to escape her horrible homelife and follow Beatrix Potter's journey from London to the Peak Districts. Features some incredible artwork by Bryan Talbot showing off the gorgeous Peak Districts.

shield2-0.jpg

Tom and I discussed this in the second edition of The New Adventures of Waiting For The Trade. The story was bad, bad, bad, bad. It was kind of like a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for the Marvel U but utterly, utterly moronic. It sought to enrich the history of the Marvel Universe by mixing in real historical figures but instead diminished both the historical figures and the Marvel U. A razorfist was too good for the story and we downgraded the art because the artist co-plotted this travesty.

geoff-johns-the-flash-02-cover.jpg?w=450&h=708

This book only existed to set up the end of the DC Universe in Flashpoint. The first storyline went nowhere, and the second was all about the lead up to Flashpoint, while not actually saying anything about Flashpoint, which was an average event comic, at best. This book was described as Geoff Johns just having one to many books to write, and it shows, poorly written, crap pacing, and repeatedly delayed, it was just average at best, and at worst, awful. The art was good, but good art does not save this book from just being incredibly dull, and pointless. If asked to sum up this entire miniseries, I would say "It leads to Flashpoint, and nothing else." What a waste.