E3 2012

JackFetch

It's that time of year again. Next week is E3 and all of the press conferences will be available both on tv, and online. Spike, MTV, and G4 have them covered pretty well. A few games have already been announced.

Tomb Raider Crossroads is the prequel they showed last year, and they just released a new trailer.

Star Wars: 1313 is a mature Star Wars game where you play as a Bounty Hunter.

Dead Space 3 is confirmed to be shown at E3.

I saw a video of Dishonored last year and it looked pretty good. Here is a new trailer.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance has a new trailer. There have been a lot of problems and direction changes made since they first announced it. At one point it was even canceled.I don't have high hopes for it.

Really, the only thing we know for sure about E3 this year is Nintendo will be all Wii U, or whatever name they decide to use.

I think Microsoft will play up the Kinect for PC. They don't really need to announce new hardware yet because the Kinect extended the life cycle of the Xbox 360. Although they do have a new system, I would be surprised if they announced it this year.

Sony might announce new hardware like Nintendo did last year. If they do, it''l be a least a year away. If they do, look to see if they are sticking with the cell processor or not. It was a commercial flop, and if they don't use it it's dead. Plus, if the rumors are true that they aren't using it, that means PS3 games might not be compatible.

Watching Nintendo's Wii U video now. The tablet has a camera and you can video chat with it. They seem to be pushing social.

The screen on the tablet is a touchscreen. You use it to type messages and draw pictures to other players. All Wii U games support those messages in game. Eventually you will be able to access those messages on your phone, but not at launch.

I have to admit, it was pretty underwhelming. Nintendo has never understood social, and to see them jump on the bandwagon this late is pretty weird. If they still use the friend codes, I don't see it working.

This is the alternate controller.

wiiuprocontroller22281n.jpg

I really like what they're doing with the social stuff. It seems like it's basically merging your online friends list with message boards and video chat and layering it all on top of the game. It actually in a lot of ways seems like the next logical step after what XBL currently does. Instead of just checking each others' achievements, now people can actually see one anothers' commentary on every step of the game and communicate about it.

Sony announced Beyond: Two Souls from the makers of Heavy Rain. No gameplay, but what they showed looked straight out of Heavy Rain. Very intense. Reminds me of a movie. Ellen Page plays the main character.

Assassin's Creed 3 has ship to ship combat that looks amazing.

Batman: Arkham City Wii Armored Edition is for the Wii U. You use the gamepad for doing the detective work and controlling the batarangs.

Mass Effect 3 is coming to the Wii U but they didn't show anything.

Very disappointing showing for Nintendo. You would think since they are the only ones showing a new console they would show more than mini games and crap.