Weeklong events on Earth-2.net: The Show

Missy

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if not all of us remember living through the 1980s (1985 over here, so I remember a little bit), I'm sure we could cover classic 80s films for 7 days as long as they haven't been covered/ear-marked to be covered in the near future.

Even if not all of us remember living through the 1980s (1985 over here, so I remember a little bit), I'm sure we could cover classic 80s films for 7 days as long as they haven't been covered/ear-marked to be covered in the near future.

We could totally watch 'Mannequin'

We could totally watch 'Mannequin'

I saw that in the theater!

... okay, I see it now.

I think the 80s is a good start. I've already been plotting out a TV 101 on the best of 80s TV show intros. Then we can do a different decade next year. I like the idea though of talking culture in addition to just a week on 80s movies. As much as I want to talk Blade Runner for a solid hour, talking about 80s music seems just as fun.

I'm more of a 40s guy.

Think of all the artsy 80s films though. Ran, Blue Velvet, Once Upon a Time in America.

I'm more of the 90s guy personally

Kel, with 80s week, think of all the Studio Ghibli films you got access to, saying nothing less of Akira.

You know, I'm almost tempted to try and do a retrospective on the Police Academy franchise. Mind you most of it will be spent talking about the first film and then being followed by me talking about how when I was 10, I loved these films and then I got older and realized how progressively worse each one after 1 got. The last five minutes will just be screaming in response to the very idea of watching Mission to Moscow.

In all seriousness, the first is barely watchable. The rest are mind-numbingly terrible on every conceivable level and get progressively worse until you get halfway through the last one and forget how to speak English. Even the cartoon was better than some of the films, and the cartoon was awful.

All that aside, I am very much in for an 80's week.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of Dan hosting a "Revenge against the whippersnappers" quiz where you can lord your 80s dominance over importers to your nostalgia throne.

You could call it "Flash DAN-ce"!

I listen to a fair amount of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and I like the idea of Dan doing a quiz for a group of millenials. Obviously not me since I'm a pop culture freak but I would be happy to come up with questions.

Potential category: Transformer or Go-bot.

I like the idea of Dan hosting a "Revenge against the whippersnappers" quiz where you can lord your 80s dominance over importers to your nostalgia throne.

You could call it "Flash DAN-ce"!

I listen to a fair amount of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and I like the idea of Dan doing a quiz for a group of millenials. Obviously not me since I'm a pop culture freak but I would be happy to come up with questions.

Potential category: Transformer or Go-bot.

Am I Peter Sagal, Tom Modette, or Bill Curtiz in this scenario?