Ant Man

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Death by Thomas the Tank Engine.

That was the only part of the trailer I liked.

If the trailers are actually indicative of tone (which, given that we've gotten two in a row now with the same tone, they might), then it really feels like this was written to be a Guardians-style action-comedy, but they're apparently trying to push it as an action-drama with a side of dry comedy. But hopefully it turns out well.

• 1 month later...

Empire on Ant Man

Some real interesting quotes from the story (which isn't out until Thursday but has been released via other outlets):

"One of my concerns upfront was, ‘Someone else has developed this movie for a really long time. Can I come in and make it my own?’ And that has absolutely been the case. For one thing Marvel have let me explore the dark side of Hank Pym, this tortured, guilt-ridden guy. I love that this is a mentor/pupil story, but with a fucked up pupil and a really fucked up mentor.

I met with Paul in a little restaurant in New York City, and he talked me through how the movie was changing. I think the most defining difference between the two scripts was that Edgar’s didn’t take itself as seriously. It was fun and silly and brilliant irreverent – a romp from beginning to end, in classic English fashion. Whereas where we’ve gotten to is so much more American. There’s tons of levity, but just as much emotion."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from it.

It was okay. It was fine really. I enjoyed it, about the same level as I did a lot of the Phase One movies like Cap and Thor, although I really like the first Thor film. Marvel's yet to make a truly bad movie, although Iron Man 3 tried for it.

It's noticeably more kid-friendly and humorous than I was expecting, which is cool. Paul Rudd is very good in it, and Evangeline Lily was my favorite character. She was a complete badass, and I can't wait to see her again. The parts where they related to the larger Marvel universe were cool.

Yellowjacket was fine, not good nor bad. Gets a little bit more interesting towards the end but nothing special. I re-watched Avengers 2 the night before this, and this doesn't have a patch on that but that's not saying much. It's one of the better phase 2 movies, but not the best.

I thought this was really fun. Very light, very quick. The shrinking scenes were all really impressive and well put together, Rudd is likeable as hell, and the MCU is better for having had some of its history filled in.

It kinda sucks that the Falcon had to look like such a dork in order to put Scott over, though.

Pretty straightforward, but it's carried well by Rudd, Lilly and Douglas.

I was hoping for full-blown heist music but the score eventually settles to generic Marvel movie fanfare. The end credits music is alright though.

Wasn't expecting all the growing, made for some really funny scenes.

Glad Wasp was still a part of it, I hope Lilly gets to really shine.

And how could they do that to Antony? What the hell.

I liked it quite a bit, actually. It's the only Marvel movie I walked into actually expecting to dislike or be "meh" about, but it ended up being a lot of fun. I'm really excited to see more Ant-Man in the MCU.

Really, I think Disney's marketing team really screwed it up. That and all the bad press about Wright's departure made everything seem way worse off than it ended up being.

I went on Friday and saw a movie I thought was OK. Not bad, not meh, not great. But judging from the reactions I've been seeing online, I'm starting to wonder if I saw the same movie as everyone else. But dammit, I should know better by now; I completely missed the second credit sequence!

So I'm gonna go back and watch it again, so see what I missed that everyone else saw. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

What I really want to see is more of Hank and Jan's old missions

This was way better than it had any right to be. I genuinely liked everything outside of minor quibbles with the way that Corey Stoll was used. It honestly felt like some of his scenes that explained his descent into madness were left on the cutting room floor.

Being unbalanced is one thing, selling fucking weapons to HYDRA is another.

I didn't have a problem with Falcon's portrayl. He was up against completely unfamiliar tech and he got his ass kicked, no shame in that.

What did bother me, however, was Cross shooting a fucking ant at like twenty feet. I'm sorry, unless he's also Bullseye, no.

But all around, a lot of harmless fun with really cool action and a good sense of humor. A pretty nice little Marvel movie.

It's just too unbelievable for me. I'll give you a lot, but that's just... Way outside the realm of possibility. It's like shooting a specific rain drop in a thunderstorm. No one is that lucky.

Which I know is a stupid nit picky thing in a movie about a tiny Paul Rudd fighting crime with ants.

I liked it quite a bit, actually. It's the only Marvel movie I walked into actually expecting to dislike or be "meh" about, but it ended up being a lot of fun. I'm really excited to see more Ant-Man in the MCU.

Really, I think Disney's marketing team really screwed it up. That and all the bad press about Wright's departure made everything seem way worse off than it ended up being.

Whilst I don't fully disagree, I also don't understand the mentality of walking into a film screening, that you'd paid money to go see, expecting to dislike it or be bored by it.

Saw it a few hours ago and thoughts to come.....at some point.....in recorded form. One random observation though: Corey Stoll has set the Lex Luthor bar for Jesse Eisenberg to overcome next year, right down to the haircut.

Whilst I don't fully disagree, I also don't understand the mentality of walking into a film screening, that you'd paid money to go see, expecting to dislike it or be bored by it.

Whether good or bad, it's an MCU movie, and it will be the subject of many a geek discussion (like this one). So if only to be on-point with everyone else, I knew I was going to see it.

More thoughts now that I've had a week-plus to mull it over:

I, like many, expected Ant-Man to be a good Edgar Wright movie shoved through the Marvel machine into something generic (the marketing REALLY didn't help this idea). In the end, I actually enjoyed Ant-Man more than Avengers 2, and it made me excited for the future of Marvel. Avengers 2 was basically "more Avengers," which is fine, but it was basically exactly what I felt I'd already gotten in the first movie, only less special. Ant-Man, on the other hand, was so different from the other MCU movies (but still fun) that it made me more optimistic about variety in the Marvel U—a bit like Guardians of the Galaxy, but this is squarely in the Avengers corner, which I think makes it mean a little more for most of the Marvel U.