S.H.I.E.L.D.

ABC Greenlights ‘S.H.I.E.L.D’ Marvel Pilot, Joss Whedon To Co-Write & Possibly Direct

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Tuesday August 28, 2012 @ 6:14pm PDT

EXCLUSIVE: ABC has ordered a pilot for S.H.I.E.L.D, a live-action series from The Avengers writer-director Joss Whedon, Marvel TV and ABC Studios. The project is based on Marvel’s peacekeeping organization S.H.I.E.L.D (which stands for Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate) found in both the Marvel comic book and feature film universes, including the blockbuster 2012 movie The Avengers, in which S.H.I.E.L.D director Nick Fury, recruits Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, and Thor to stop Thor’s adoptive brother Loki from subjugating Earth.

S.H.I.E.L.D. will be written by Whedon and frequent collaborators, his bother Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. Joss Whedon also is set to direct the pilot, schedule permitting. Production on the pilot, which marks the first live-action Marvel TV project to get a green light, will start immediately. Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon and Tancharoen executive produce with Jeffrey Bell and Marvel TV’s Jeph Loeb.

The project had been in the works at Marvel TV and ABC Studios for some time. Earlier this month, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced that it had signed an exclusive film and TV deal with Joss Whedon, which included him writing and directing The Avengers sequel and develop a live-action series for Marvel TV and ABC, both owned by Disney.

This marks a return to series television for Joss Whedon, creator of cult favorites Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Firefly and Dollhouse. Husband and wife writing duo Jed Whedon and Tancharoen co-penned with Joss Whedon Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog and also have worked on Dollhouse and Spartacus. In addition to S.H.I.E.L.D, Marvel TV has a couple of other projects in development at ABC Studios, including a Hulk series.

Source.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am totally stoked and completely want to see this NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW!!!!!!!!

<deep breath>

OK, back to reality. As awesome as this sounds and as much as I want it to succeed... I can't see this lasting any longer than a season. Decent superhero-based shows always get cancelled quickly.

• 1 month later...

The casting sheet:

SKYE: This late-20s woman sounds like a dream: fun, smart, caring and confident – with an ability to get the upper hand by using her wit and charm.

AGENT GRANT WARD: Quite the physical specimen and “cool under fire,” he sometimes botches interpersonal relations. He’s a quiet one with a bit of a temper, but he’s the kind of guy that grows on you.

AGENT ALTHEA RICE: Also known as “The Calvary,” this hard-core soldier has crazy skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged.

AGENT LEO FITZ and AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS: These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other’s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies – she deals with biology and chemistry, he’s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.

These may or may not be fake since Whedon admits he does use fake characters for auditions.

• 2 weeks later...

If Fury lied about the bloody cards, he just as easily could have lied about Agent Coulson's death. Or, the one who died was an LMD. That might seem farfetched, but early in The Avengers, Tony mentions LMDs. Furthermore, the scene in which they're mentioned features Coulson. So an out was established.

Well, if I'm recalling my continuity correctly, Coulson was given the "Super Middle Management Serum" sometime in the mid-nineties. Then, sometime during the second Clinton term, he entered a state of suspended animation after being accidentally locked in the SHIELD Canteen's walk in freezer. He was thawed out just after the emergence of Iron Man. Since the formula for the serum is lost, I'd imagine this Coulson will actually be the Original Coulson's former sidekick, Plucky: The Boy Bureaucrat, taking up his mentor's suit and shades.

Well, if I'm recalling my continuity correctly, Coulson was given the "Super Middle Management Serum" sometime in the mid-nineties. Then, sometime during the second Clinton term, he entered a state of suspended animation after being accidentally locked in the SHIELD Canteen's walk in freezer. He was thawed out just after the emergence of Iron Man. Since the formula for the serum is lost, I'd imagine this Coulson will actually be the Original Coulson's former sidekick, Plucky: The Boy Bureaucrat, taking up his mentor's suit and shades.

And that's Post of the Day! :bowdown:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...