S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So tonight's episode took place during/after the events of Captain America: TWS.

Holy crap. They pretty much turned the show on its head with this episode. I'm actually really excited to see what happens next.

I think they'll find a way to backtrack out of this to be perfectly honest.

I think that's pretty obvious actually, and am quite surprised people are taking the end at face value

Actually, from what's been said by the producers, this was always the intention. (because Cap 2 was in pre-production before Agents of SHIELD was.) So the previous 15-ish episodes up to this point have been the lead-up to what the show is going to be now, rather than the other way around. And in any case, they can't do something like completely rebuild SHIELD without also reflecting that in the movies, so the absolute earliest they could even come close to going back to the early status quo would be Summer of 2015. And Avengers 2 has also been said to be in a relatively SHIELD-less world in order to raise the stakes, so even that's not likely.

This is definitely a Whedon-like turn, like Angelus in Buffy season 2 or the entirety of Angel season 5.

As everyone knows by now, I am not a fan of this show. But I did tune in to this weeks episode to see how they deal with the fallout. Thus far I am... not impressed exactly but interested enough to stick around to see where they take the show in the wake of what's happened. At least for a few episodes.

If there is even a hint of returning to previously established status quo though...

The show continues to be on the upswing. It starts to feel like they only partially wasted the time they started out with. A lot of the threads (Gravitonium, The Woman in the Flower Dress, May's connection to Fury) come together. The one thing I will say is that I hope Ward's Heel Turn stays that way. I like how they took a character that had moments of being an unlikable twit and painted them as being there totally as cover. Regardless, he does unforgivable shit this time that if he does face turn, it's going to be hard for them to write-off.

I'm trying to get back into this, so I loaded up 12-16 for my trip this week. It's kinda painful. I'm not hugely observant usually when it comes to spotting the seams that denote how a show or movie is made, but I can see the writing in this in every scene. It's all clichés, borrowed emotion and insincere performances. Also I'm hating Skye, not even because of her but because everyone in this cast slobbers over her like she's the second coming of Audrey Hepburn and Bill Gates rolled into one. Buffy mythologised the hot girl with remarkable gifts, Skye seems to have that status based on so little. If I have to see one more sycophant call the already gorgeous girl that she's some remarkable special brain-flower as well I'm going to have to take a break from this show again.

Basically I've watched too much good tv to enjoy this. It's disposable. I do have another episode to go though.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I would be more sympathetic to Coulson if he himself hadn't done shady shit in the past. This dude walked in and basically stole all of Jane Foster's research that she dedicated her life to. He was also willingly pretending to be dead so the Avengers didn't know. In fact he even told Sif not to tell Thor.

Rant over.

I don't care how many twists they pull. This show is still not good. I don't give a crap about any of the one diminsional characters, and even crossing over with the movies doesn't make it any better. At this point, even if Cap or Hulk show up and fight Hydra this show is a huge disaster for Marvel.

I think I would be more sympathetic to Coulson if he himself hadn't done shady shit in the past. This dude walked in and basically stole all of Jane Foster's research that she dedicated her life to. He was also willingly pretending to be dead so the Avengers didn't know. In fact he even told Sif not to tell Thor.

Rant over.

Confiscating Jane Foster's research is a dick move, but it isn't "shady." It's not like he tested alien biotech on her or anything. And he never pretended to be dead for the Avengers' sake; he actually was dead. He asked Sif not to tell Thor because he wanted to tell Thor himself (which he's totally going to do in Avengers 2). Coulson might be a bit tough at times, but shady he is not.