Episode 562

RSS

• 2 weeks later...

I first heard about "The Spirit" in the animated movie "The Iron Giant" where Hogarth is sharing his comic books and mentions that the spirit is very cool. I hunted it down in the library and really enjoyed it. I loved that there was this superhero that was not born with powers, he did not gain powers, he did not even have money or train around the world. Sure he had a car that would fly at the push of a button, but most of the time the only thing he had was anonymity.

When I heard Miller was making it, I only knew of the Dark Knight returns. At first I was excited when I heard not only was Miller friends with Eisner but that he was cutting and pasting the comic for the storyboard. A local comic book vendor said he was not looking forward to it because Frank Miller could not make a whimsical movie. I knew he was true when I saw the preview in Sin City style.

I have had anime fans tell me that I can't comprehend their pain with "Dragonball Evolution." I have had Avatar fans tell me I can't comprehend their pain with "The last Airbender." Not only have those movies made me mad but the Spirit eclipses them all for me.

In the podcast you explained how Jon Faverau succeeded where Miller failed, and I think he would be an amazing director for the Spirit. Up until now my dream director for the Spirit would have been Brad Bird 1. Because he introduced it to me through the Iron Giant 2. Anyone who can take bits of the Watchmen, James Bond, X-Men and the Fantastic Four and end up with the beloved childrens film that is Incredibles would know how to balance the movie for children and adults that Eisner would be proud of.

While I am dreaming I may as well write the screenplay...

Brad Bird has only directed one live action movie, that being Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, but I agree. He would be a wonderful choice to direct The Spirt! On that list, I'd also place Jon Favreau (for his serious lightheartedness), Nicolas Winding Refn (for his use of color and music), and Chris Columbus (for his childlike fun and adventure).

I can remember seeing the trailer for The Spirit when it first came out online. I was all like "why does Frank Miller think he created The Spirit?"

Great review. I'm still not going to watch it. Even with Scarlett in a Nazi uniform which is admittedly sexifying.

Winding Refn isn't a bad choice, seeing as every movie he does is a superhero movie anyway.

• 4 years later...

Brad Bird has only directed one live action movie, that being Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, but I agree. He would be a wonderful choice to direct The Spirt! On that list, I'd also place Jon Favreau (for his serious lightheartedness), Nicolas Winding Refn (for his use of color and music), and Chris Columbus (for his childlike fun and adventure).

Brad Bird actually did make a teaser for a Spirit movie. Here it is in its entirety.