Episode 101

RSS

While trapped in the grasp of a black hole, The Doctor is forced to come face-to-face with what just might be The Devil ("The Impossible Planet" / "The Satan Pit").Then, a child won a contest to get his monster on Doctor Who, so RTD thought it would be funny to make a man-gets-head-from-a-block-of-concrete joke in that episode ("Love & Monsters"). Classy. Also, the guys feel fabulous after getting glitter-bombed via e-mail. [ 1:24:52 || 41.0 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_101.mp3

I'm loving your review of Love and Monsters, totally agree. On the actors they're generally good, but since you clearly don't know, FUCK PETER KAY. He's always been awful, just imagine all the bad stuff we brits said against James Corden minus any acting skill and plus milking his mediocre overpriced 'stand-up' for all it's worth. Great show again guys!

I'm loving your review of Love and Monsters, totally agree. On the actors they're generally good, but since you clearly don't know, FUCK PETER KAY. He's always been awful, just imagine all the bad stuff we brits said against James Corden minus any acting skill and plus milking his mediocre overpriced 'stand-up' for all it's worth. Great show again guys!

I don't necessarily agree with all of that, although some of it's true. I don't like Corden as an actor who wants to be a comedian (great actor, awful comedian). Kay is a great writer, a so-so comedian and an awful actor, and his success amplifies all of that.

To those outside of the UK, Kay rose to prominence from a cult Sunday lunchtime TV show to having his own sketch show (which was received pretty well, although I don't remember it) and then his own sitcom, Phoenix Nights. It's not got international appeal as it's very Northern, but I really enjoyed it when it was on air. The problem is, after that, he went on a self-promotion binge, releasing 3 separate DVDs doing the same routine of nostalgic observational comedy and making money off of Comic Relief through single releases and proming a percentage of his merchandise sales to the charity - the message being: "Buy my merchandise".

As for Love & Monsters, I think Fear Her is worse because it has less ambition, a crayon monster and a vomit inducing finale regarding the Olympic torch. And I think too much is made off of a throwaway joke in the last minute of the episode (the love life one) - the episode's synopsis kind of proves my point. That being said, aside from the actors trying to make a decent hash of it, the episode is pretty bad. The Scooby Doo opener really sets the tone of the episode.

Love the two-parter though. Also love the shout-outs from old man Toland! :yes:

I don't necessarily agree with all of that, although some of it's true. I don't like Corden as an actor who wants to be a comedian (great actor, awful comedian). Kay is a great writer, a so-so comedian and an awful actor, and his success amplifies all of that.

To those outside of the UK, Kay rose to prominence from a cult Sunday lunchtime TV show to having his own sketch show (which was received pretty well, although I don't remember it) and then his own sitcom, Phoenix Nights. It's not got international appeal as it's very Northern, but I really enjoyed it when it was on air. The problem is, after that, he went on a self-promotion binge, releasing 3 separate DVDs doing the same routine of nostalgic observational comedy and making money off of Comic Relief through single releases and proming a percentage of his merchandise sales to the charity - the message being: "Buy my merchandise".

As for Love & Monsters, I think Fear Her is worse because it has less ambition, a crayon monster and a vomit inducing finale regarding the Olympic torch. And I think too much is made off of a throwaway joke in the last minute of the episode (the love life one) - the episode's synopsis kind of proves my point. That being said, aside from the actors trying to make a decent hash of it, the episode is pretty bad. The Scooby Doo opener really sets the tone of the episode.

Love the two-parter though. Also love the shout-outs from old man Toland! :yes:

Its not just the throw away love life joke at the end. There is also the moment where Jackie talks about how its good to "splash out" over something. Which is even worse.

It's weird that Doctor Who has had this affiliation with irritating British comedians.

When Catherine Tate was announced as the next companion, I was ready to give up on the show. That's how much I hated her comedy show. Then she actually turned out to be really good. When James Corden was announced I gave him a chance because of how well Donna Noble turned out but Years earlier when I realised Peter Fucking Kay was going to be a monster on the show, I knew he would be awful and he was.

As for the episode its self. It's definitely bad though filled with a great cast (Peter Kay aside) trying there best.

No, in fact it was a welcome return to form for Corden who was, at the time, wildly overexposed. Of the three comedians that jumped into Who at the height of their careers (Tate, Corden & Kaye) sight-unseen I'd have guessed Corden would do best. His show was one I genuinely enjoyed and I figured he had dramatic potential. Tate on the other hand shocked me, her sketch show was awful but she was a fantastic companion, they took the wise step of having her start out dialled up all the way and then toning it down to reveal a much more sympathetic and human side.

I never ever thought Kaye would be good, and he wasn't. Maybe it was the episode, maybe he could have done better with something else, but of all of them he was the one who precisely met my expectations.

No, in fact it was a welcome return to form for Corden who was, at the time, wildly overexposed. Of the three comedians that jumped into Who at the height of their careers (Tate, Corden & Kaye) sight-unseen I'd have guessed Corden would do best. His show was one I genuinely enjoyed and I figured he had dramatic potential. Tate on the other hand shocked me, her sketch show was awful but she was a fantastic companion, they took the wise step of having her start out dialled up all the way and then toning it down to reveal a much more sympathetic and human side.

I never ever thought Kaye would be good, and he wasn't. Maybe it was the episode, maybe he could have done better with something else, but of all of them he was the one who precisely met my expectations.

I didn't mean to give the impression that Corden was bad in his episodes. Like Tate before him, he did really well and was a nice surprise. Out of the three comedians I liked his original tv work the best. It was just he got so popular in the Uk with his show that he was suddenly in everything and became over saturated on TV. So I, like most of the public got a bit sick of the sight of him.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't that qualify as flying? In the same way as a plane couldn't fly on a planet without an atmosphere because wings wouldn't work in a vacuum and a propeller wouldn't have anything to push against (Hence actual propellant being required for space travel), perhaps Time Lords need an atmosphere to fly. Maybe if the human had jumped she'd have been unholy prison floor pizza.