Hannukah / Christmas gift thread, 2012 edition

Dan

I got-

-My car fixed and a new bed (which I sorted myself but family paid for)

-Giant Toblerone, choccy biscuits, beef jerky and other assorted snacks

-£70's worth of Amazon vouchers

-4 bottles of wine

-8 bottles of ale

-Best of all on the day, I got DC ComicsYear By Year, A Visual Chronicle. It pretty much stacks up tonnes of significant moments in comics, going back to the 30's, with some real gems in there like this-

World%27s_Finest_Comics_21.jpg

The interiors are great too, like a running commentary on the most significant books each year-

DKDC8.jpg

Loving going through it, even my mum said that she'd read some of it and thought it pretty fascinating (which is amazing on any level). It's also amazing to read the 80's and see Watchmen, DKR, Sandman, New Teen Titans, Swamp Thing and the start of Constantine, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, Batman Year One, the Giffen Justice League, The Killing Joke, Animal Man, V for Vendetta, Arkham Asylum and the rest all basically back to back on these pages, it's phenomenal to think these things were all going on at the same time. Alan Moore in the 80's might be the greatest run a comics writer has ever had. Lee and Kirby can argue greatest creator, but Moore was the best writer.

Edit- I just used my £70 to buy Madden 13, Far Cry 3, A Drifting Life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi (Manga) and pre ordered the Blu-ray of Looper.

As Dan mentioned, we got a new tv from my folks.

I also got River's Sonic Screwdriver, a sword dance instructional DVD, a pink contoller for the 360, and two kick ass books--the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft in a fancy leather cover edition and a hand numbered edition of Habibi. Also a print of a drawing a friend made and a bottle of champagne.