PS3 news

Missy

I guess it's official now.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10460/PlaySt...Until-November/

"Japanese newspaper Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported today that the PlayStation 3 will launch in Japan this November at the earliest. According to "Nikkei", the console will be delayed six months because the copy protection technology for Blu-ray Disc has not yet been finalized.

The AACS Licensing Administrator, the group resposible for the spec that manages content stored on next generation optical disc formats such as HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc, failed to deliver a final spec last year and has since then provided a temporary spec under interim licensing agreements."

We probably won't see it in the US until sometime next year.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted on Wed, Mar. 15, 2006

Sony to delay release of PlayStation 3 until November

Blu-ray discs delayed

By Yuri Kageyama

Associated Press

Sony will put off the release of its much awaited PlayStation 3 console until November from its planned spring debut because more work is needed on its next-generation DVD technology, the company said Wednesday.

Ken Kutaragi, the head of Sony’s video games division, made the announcement at a hastily called news conference after reports of the delay surfaced in the business daily Nihon Keizai Shimbun and other papers.

The PlayStation 3 is critical for Sony Corp.’s profits and brand image, so the delay is a major setback for the Japanese electronics and entertainment company as it struggles to mount a recovery after several years of poor earnings.

The reports sent Sony’s stock tumbling 1.8 percent, to $46, Wednesday. Kutaragi announced the decision after the close of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/14106325.htm

I'm still buying one, people can complain about the price of it when the price is, you know, actually known. Even if it is a high price, I'll still get one and look down my nose at all those that can't afford it :devil:

I'm buying two. Seriously. One for my bedroom, one for eBay.

I'm still buying one, people can complain about the price of it when the price is, you know, actually known. Even if it is a high price, I'll still get one and look down my nose at all those that can't afford it :devil:

hehehe, damn straight. Sure there will be the paupers who say we were ripped off, but what do they know, they live on a diet of baked beans and 1 week old bread!

• 1 month later...
PS3 to launch November 17th, 2006--$499 for 20GB, $599 for 60GB

Thoughts?

(Note: It says in the headline that the 60GB version will retail for $599, but in the article itself it says $549; however, I'm assuming that it's just an error.)

Not to mention the $499 version will be missing HDMI support, wifi, memory stick, SD, and Compact flash support. Both versions are bigger than the original XBox(one of Japan's biggest complaints about it), and weighs more than the XBox360. The controllers have lights with 1-4 on them, but Sony said it would support 7 controllers at a time. There is no rumble on the controllers, although they now have 4D(tilt sensors).

My thoughts are that Sony doesn't have any originality left in them. They are hyping tech that was available more than 7 years ago like they just invented it. http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3blog.html?topic_id=24600407

One last thing. Why do they have it displayed in more than one color when they said it will only be available in black?

Great move by Sony releasing the launch date and price so early. Allows people to save up if they want one on the first day.

I actually like the fact that it looks like the PS2 (both system and controller), you know what they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As for the motion (4D) controller, I doubt I would use it, I'm the sort of gamer that moves to much in excitement/frustration, so I may crash my car, fall down a cliff, etc.

Fletch, just because something was released 7 years ago (or 20 for the Atari) doesn't mean it was good. I used a mercury steering wheel once and it really wasn't that good.

Meh, the price tag sucks but it dosen't peticularly bother me. I wait for price-drops for and system I've owned, never buy at launch. And honestly, as a non-online gamer, I like the cheaper price option.

I doubt the system will crash as terribly as some think but it'll certianly be a battle to lead the market.

Oh, and good to hear about the controller, being back to normal.

What I said earlier still stands. I love this mentality some people have that it is a companies obligation to sell their products in your price range. If you can't afford, well tough shit. If anyone thinks the price tag is going to stop the PS3 from selling out on day one, I got a bridge to sell you.

If anyone thinks the price tag is going to stop the PS3 from selling out on day one, I got a bridge to sell you.

Good point. The PS3 will sell out. I didn't get a PS2 until January 2005. Because I waited, I was able to pay a lower price. Give the PS3 a year or two and the price will be significantly descreased for the 2007 or 2008 Christmas season.

• 2 weeks later...

From GamesRadar.com:

[PS3] Sony makes moves to stamp out lucrative second-hand market

Words: Matt Cundy

Wednesday 24 May 2006

High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

From GamesRadar.com:

[PS3] SCEE has 'no knowledge' of plans to change business model

Words: Oliver Hurley

Thursday 25 May 2006

Further to our article yesterday that high street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores, a Sony Europe representative has responded with a further - albeit brief - comment.

Their statement reads in full: "These rumours are unfounded and, to my knowledge, SCEE has no plans to change our business model to adopt such a system."

We'll keep you posted as soon as we hear any more on this intriguing story - whether from retail or Sony itself.

I kind of wish Sony would do that just because I hate the whole professional second-hand market. I have no problem buying and selling person-to-person, but I hate stores who offer you 5 bucks for your game and then sell it for 25 bucks. Even if it's a brand new game that just came out, they only offer you less than half of what they sell it for.

I kind of wish Sony would do that just because I hate the whole professional second-hand market. I have no problem buying and selling person-to-person, but I hate stores who offer you 5 bucks for your game and then sell it for 25 bucks. Even if it's a brand new game that just came out, they only offer you less than half of what they sell it for.

Two days after buying Far Cry for the Xbox, I sold it back to the store... for $23 (or thereabouts). Now I don't recall if it was originally $50 or $40, but losing half (give or take) is still a ripoff in my mind.

That said: I'm not keen on this. Once I buy a game, it's mine. I own the disk, so I can resell it on eBay, to the store or wherever I like.

I definitely think there should be some sort of reform in the second hand gaming market, but under no means do I think it should be completely stamped out. If the rumor is true, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were, just add it to the growing pile of excuses to put on the PlayStation's tombstone after this generation.

Two days after buying Far Cry for the Xbox, I sold it back to the store... for $23 (or thereabouts). Now I don't recall if it was originally $50 or $40, but losing half (give or take) is still a ripoff in my mind.

That said: I'm not keen on this. Once I buy a game, it's mine. I own the disk, so I can resell it on eBay, to the store or wherever I like.

Exactly, and what of those like me, that only buy used games? Hell, it's a good deal if your the one buying. I just bought 3 XBox games, 2 PS2 games, and 1 Gamecube game at GameStop for about $30. I love being able to do that because there's no sense in spending $60 dollars for a new game when you can get about 5-10 used for the same price.

So yeah, of course the store rips you off on buying your games, that's where they make a lot of their money. If Sony tries anything, it won't hold up. If I buy a couch, I didn't buy the license to sit in it, I bought the fucking couch.

If Sony tries anything, it won't hold up. If I buy a couch, I didn't buy the license to sit in it, I bought the fucking couch.

And if you buy a PC software application, you legally buy a right to one installation of the software, not the rights to resell it. Just playing devil's advocate here... the nix on resales isn't something that's totally foreign, especially when it's something without a true physical manifestation, such as a song, a software license or online access to a "members only" section of a web site, such as the one IGN uses. It's going to be a slippery slope if Sony wants to go in this direction.

Exactly, and what of those like me, that only buy used games?

Well, it's your fault for being cheap :P .

Hell, it's a good deal if your the one buying. I just bought 3 XBox games, 2 PS2 games, and 1 Gamecube game at GameStop for about $30. I love being able to do that because there's no sense in spending $60 dollars for a new game when you can get about 5-10 used for the same price.

I'm all for person to person selling of games. I have used games in my library, and have sold a huge amount of games. The point I was going for was that I hated the fact that a store buys the game off of you for a fraction of what they sell it back for, all the while the store pockets the difference. I can deffinately see why Sony would want to try to stop it as they are taking losses because of this too.

So yeah, of course the store rips you off on buying your games, that's where they make a lot of their money. If Sony tries anything, it won't hold up. If I buy a couch, I didn't buy the license to sit in it, I bought the fucking couch.

Just because you buy an artist's cd doesn't give you the right to copy and sell it, same thing with computer programs, and in essence turning a video game into a downloadable emulator. Like drqshadow said it's a slippery slope, just because you own it, doesn't give you the rights to profit off of it.

Your talking about a tangible thing. Yes, you own the actual couch, but not the design of it. With software, you only own the actual disc it is on, not the program.

I will personally be looking into an XBOX 360 now. I can understand the frustration of someone going to EB or Gamestop and getting shafted for their game but I would rather have that option to get shafted and make some money back on a crap game than to not have any recourse other than to become extra picky with the games I do buy. As for the game stores offering up crap for your used games it's pretty much works out in a slight profit for them. Now I know you are sitting there shaking your head going offering $20 for a brand new game only to turn around and resell it for $45 is not a slight profit. But you have to factor in that they accept pretty much all the games, even the absolute garbage So while they might take in 15 of one game they might only sell six of them. As they are running a business and trying to do so profitably it only makes sense that you aren't going to get the best deal from them. It's the same thing with a car, they offer you $500 for your clunker and they turn around and sell it for $2500.