PS3 news

Missy

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this. This might be the funniest news of 2007, and it's not even out of January yet:

It seems that Sony has made a minor price correction for the PS3 in Canada. Now the unit costs $50 dollars more, for a total of $699.99. Both Best Buy and Futureshop have the console listed at the new price, the old list used to be $659.99. What is Sony doing?

What is Sony doing indeed. What the fuck?

If the old price was $659.99 and it has increased by $50, shouldn't that mean the new price is $709.99? I hope that is a mistake in the article and not actually Sony's press release.....

This actually kinda makes sense, in that the prices for the rest of the world are more expensive (when converted) then the release price in the US last year. I know it makes no sense to increase the price, but at least it explains why the new region prices are more expensive.

I love this. This might be the funniest news of 2007, and it's not even out of January yet:

It seems that Sony has made a minor price correction for the PS3 in Canada. Now the unit costs $50 dollars more, for a total of $699.99. Both Best Buy and Futureshop have the console listed at the new price, the old list used to be $659.99. What is Sony doing?

What is Sony doing indeed. What the fuck?

It dosen't really matter how much the price is raised because everyone is looking for a wii these days anyway.

Sony is doing a good job of making people avoid buying the console like the plague....so to speak :P

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a while for news/updates on this so I'll just mention a couple of things.

PAL release was the 60gig version only and it looks like that will be the norm, with them deciding not to do the 20gig version anywhere anymore.

PAL version was software only with regards to backwards compatibility, no chips from PS1 or PS2. No word if the NTSC will follow this path on future shipments.

Latest rumour suggests Sony is looking to upgrade future shipments to something along the lines of a 80gig - 120gig HDD. Everything else they are confident won't be changed, but with future software being made available, they feel people will be using the PS3 for LOTS of storage, so want to cater to that.

New Firmware V1.7 allows games downloaded from SonyOnline to be transfered and played on a PSP, which apparently is big news?

Most "industry expert" reports that I have read are predicting the PS3 to eventually hold around 50% of the console market once it matures (the market that is). I think all were expecting there to still be at least 3 players in the industry, so for the PS3 to be at 50% is still pretty impressive.

A small news "Odd Spot". Some guy bought a PS3 took it apart, painted it the official Maserati Red sold it on Ebay for about $12k. Nice profit. It was a professional job, looked to be one in a auto body shop.

• 4 months later...

So now that Sony is making some positive moves, is it no longer cool to pick on them? Or are people just tired of talking about them? I ask in all sincerity.

Interesting though that no-one I have seen has mentioned PlayTv that was released. Because it didn't happen in the US it isn't news worthy?

I couldn't be bothered re-writing this so it wasn't as blunt, I'm not trying to start anything, I just curious about the slow down of PS3 talk?

Right now the PS3 is more of an investment, kind of like when the PS1 was released. There wasn't much going on the first year, but down the line there are great games coming out for it. I think the detractors have ran their opinion in the ground, and those that bought the PS3 are content to wait for the system to come into it's own, which it easily should late quarter '07 into '08.

Right now the PS3 is more of an investment, kind of like when the PS1 was released. There wasn't much going on the first year, but down the line there are great games coming out for it. I think the detractors have ran their opinion in the ground, and those that bought the PS3 are content to wait for the system to come into it's own, which it easily should late quarter '07 into '08.

Well, it might be considered a good investment if the price were never to drop and they were to stop producing the hardware after a certain point or something. But why would you drop 600 on the current model when it'll more than likely be cheaper by the time the good games are released for it, and Sony's had such a shit track record with longevity in their previous consoles? I'm trying to understand the logic, but it's not easy.

• 4 weeks later...
Sony hopes a new cut-down version of the Playstation 3, set to hit store shelves on Thursday, will make the console more affordable for Christmas shoppers.

The new model is priced at $699.95 but will not be compatible with Playstation 2 games, lacks a memory card reader and reduces the number of USB ports from four to two. But the biggest change sees the hard drive shrunk from 60GB to 40GB.

The existing 60GB model, which sells for $999, will be phased out, said Sony's local managing director Michael Ephraim.

While the announcement brings the PS3's price tag closer to earth, the console still attracts a price premium.

In August, Microsoft trimmed the price of the Xbox 360 Pro from $649 to $579.95, while the cut-down Core version now sells for $399.95, the same price as a Nintendo Wii.

But PS3 buyers enjoy the benefit of additional non-gaming features such as a built-in Blu-ray movie player and integrated support for wireless networks.

The Wii doesn't support movie playback; Xbox 360 owners need to buy a $249.95 external HD DVD player to enable support for next-generation movies, while an adapter for wireless networking costs $169.95.

"The PS3 is by far, when you compare apples and apples, cheaper than Xbox," Mr Ephraim said.

The move by Sony has been interpreted as a response to relatively lacklustre PS3 console sales stemming from the high $999 price tag, which locked out many gamers.

According to third-quarter sales figures from market-watcher GfK, the PS3 was the poorest performer for the period, shifting just 27,533 units in Australia.

The Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii sold 40,467 and 61,027 units respectively, while the PS2 continues to blitz the market with sales of 66,228 units.

Mr Ephraim acknowledged there would be some controversy over Sony's decision to remove PS2 backwards compatibility, but said Sony research showed most PS3 buyers were not using the console to play the legacy games.

He said any PS3 buyers who still wanted to play PS2 games could do so on their existing PS2 console. Over two million PS2 consoles have been sold in Australia to date.

"This is just us saying that the device is a very advanced device and we need to look at the future of what we can offer on it, and not be tied down by the past," he said.

"There has been extensive research and people that have PS3s are just not playing a lot of PS2 games."

Mr Ephraim said he was pleased with the PS3's sales to date - 82,261 units - but said it was misleading to compare the figures with sales of the cheaper Wii console, which has sold 167,899 units since its launch.

Rather, he said the similarly-priced PS2, with its range of family-friendly titles like Singstar and the quiz game Buzz, was a more accurate benchmark.

He congratulated Microsoft on the "great release" of Halo 3 but said: "My question for Microsoft would be, what's after Halo? We think there's a void in any other kind of offering for the Xbox."

He was adamant the exclusive PS3 title Haze, a first-person shooter game to be released in November, would be solid competition for Halo 3 in the lead-up to Christmas.

(All prices in Australian dollars)

http://www.theage.com.au/news/articles/son...1695789355.html

Seriously, they really are making it hard for me to defend them. So now the price drop that I/everyone was waiting for at xmas, is now a shitty 'Lite' version with half the USB ports, NO, NOT EVEN SOFTWARE, PS2 game compatibility, no memory card slot and a smaller HDD..... Oh I read anotehr article stating that this crap will filter to the US as well......

I'm still waiting on games to play on it. By the time the next Final Fantasy comes out, they should have a library worth playing. I can do without one until then.

But there is a chance, only slight, but a chance that in 12months the only thing available will be the lite version.. That would suck ass big time.

I'm going to buy one now, just because I prefer to spend money and be regretful, then not spend it and wish I had... (Plus I won $500 on sports bets over the past month, so that pays for a lot of it).

Yeah, we never even got the chip option here in Oz, only the software emulation. I had a quick look and I think all of my PS2 games were compliant, so I was only a little pissed (once again on principal).

One thing to note, apparently the 60gig proper version is already sold out at some stores. So Sony have definitely decided to go the Lite only route here in Oz which is really dumb....

• 2 weeks later...
Sony slashes PS3 price

Japanese gaming company also introduces a cheaper 40-gigabyte model of the high-end video game machine for $399.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Sony on Thursday cut the price of its PlayStation 3 game console in the U.S. and announced an even cheaper model that will arrive before the holiday shopping season.

The top-line PlayStation model, with an 80 gigabyte hard drive, now costs $499, down from $599. That effectively eliminates the lower-end model, which has a 60-gigabyte drive and has sold for $499.

A new low-end model with a 40-gigabyte drive will go on sale Nov. 2 for $399.

Unlike the other PlayStation 3 models, the new one won't be able to play games made for the PlayStation 2. In a statement, Sony (Charts) said this was due to a more extensive lineup of games of the PlayStation 3.

The U.S. launch of the 40-gigabyte model was widely expected, since Sony has already announced it for Japan and Europe. It narrows the price gap with competing game consoles, but the PlayStation is still the most expensive.

Microsoft Corp.'s (Charts, Fortune 500) Xbox 360 costs $350 and Nintendo Corp.'s (Charts) Wii costs $250. The PlayStation 3 has been trailing them both in U.S. sales, and the Wii has been a breakout hit for Nintendo, with more than 9 million units shipped. Sony has sold 5 million PlayStation 3s since they went on sale in November last year.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/18/technology/ps3.ap/index.htm

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about it and the more I think, the more I have convinced myself that the PS3 was good value for me. I'm not the norm and I admit that as a stand alone game system it is not good value. But I've been toying with setting up a system as a dedicated media centre for a while. This does that. In the next 3 months I'll also be making use of the blu-ray player with a new tv and audio system. With a new tv I'll also be able to use it as a web browser and while it won't suit everything I'll be able to do stuff like read news, watch movie trailers, etc.

Like I said, I'm probably not the norm and I agree as a game system only, it is not cheap, but even if you use either the media component or the blu-ray along with the games, it makes it almost a bargain.

I bought the 60gig version with all the ports and the backwards compatibility. I've been running the 'Folding@home' application on it as well. Pretty cool.