PS3 news

Missy

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't quite believe the new "slim" picture. It's got a matte finish that doesn't match the new Sony "glossy" look, and it goes back to the old font from the PS2 era.

Then again, maybe a newer, sleeker re-release of the console is what they really need to do now.

It doesn't have the gloss finish because it's just a mock up. The box picture is from a poor quality cell phone so it's hard to tell if they put the gloss on it or not. This thing doesn't exist yet, it's just a prototype. Also to MaxPower, they already took out the card readers on the lower end models to cut costs. There are more pictures here showing it is a mock up.

The fact that more than one site were contacted by lawyers with cease and desist orders shows that it is real, at least one of the redesigns they are working on.

But they weren't contacted by Sony lawyers. It was a seemingly random Taiwanese firm.

If it doesn't involve a price cut (and maybe even if it does) I'm not particularly interested. I seriously doubt I'll buy a PlayStation during this generation - I love the 360 and I've already got a Blu-Ray player, so unless they bring out something totally mind blowing I'm off that wagon.

• 1 month later...
SONY Computer Entertainment Australia is ready to launch its much-anticipated PlayTV here, a box that transforms a PlayStation 3 console into a video recorder.

The PlayTV hooks up to a PS3 console through a USB port and records television shows to the PS3's hard drive for later playback.

SCE Australia chief Michael Ephraim said the high-definition version of the PlayTV would be launched in Australia by October. A standard-definition version of it has been available overseas since late last year and a launch here was expected earlier, but Mr Ephraim said there was no point importing the SD version because Australia was moving towards high-definition TV.

Instead, Australia would be the guinea pig market for the HD PlayTV.

The unit has twin HD tuners and comes with an electronic program guide for setting up lists of programs to record. Mr Ephraim said Sony was still negotiating on which EPG to use.

At less than $200, according to Mr Ephraim, the HD PlayTV would be a cheap way to own an HD PVR for someone who already had a PS3 console.

The move comes as Sony hits the half-million mark for PS3s sold in Australia.

Mr Ephraim said this figure broke down as 420,000 units sold plus another 80,000 bundled in a Sony Bravia television promotion.

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/...0-15321,00.html

Technically the European one is HD Ready, they just don't broadcast in HD. But this is still very good news for PS3. I know a few people (myself included) who have been hanging out for the PlayTV.

• 1 month later...

Y'know, I want to love my wii but the damn thing won't let me. It looks rubbish on my best TV, the best games I have for it are ports of gamecube titles and I've spent more on AA batteries than I did on the console. Still, Super Paper Mario is fun.

I used to be an xbox 360 man but inevitable hardware failure has driven me to the PS3 and I'm the most satisfied I have ever been with a games console. No hardware failures for me so far, great games and some great extras. Now, If I could just find a way to cram my dualshock 3 innards into a 360 controller then all would be fine.

I think it's just like Nintendo's play control releases. A gamecube game with Wii controls applied for people who like that kind of thing. I don't really mind, I mean nobody played them the first time around. They might as well port them to a console that's selling. I still have most of my gamecube versions anyway.

Do they have a box that turns all the current gen systems back into video game consoles?

They have one of those. It's called the Wii.

I'd prefer something that actually has games for it.

Do they have a box that turns all the current gen systems back into video game consoles?

I hear ya.

Strangely, though, I've actually been playing the Wii more than anything else lately. Nintendo games have a way of being enjoyable the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th times-around. It's the only reason I'll never sell my Wii.

The DS?

Anyway, you guys just got Little King Story over there. That's a fantastic little non-Nintendo game for the Wii. Apparently it sold pretty poorly over here and in Europe, which is a bit of a shame.

Sony announced to shareholders that they cut the manufacturing price of the PS3 by 70%.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24659

WOW.

If the PS3 cost $840 to make at its launch (as a link in that article suggests), then 30% of that is only $252. They could drop the price to $300 and still be making a profit.

I wonder if they've actually been making a profit on the console for a little while now? That might explain why the price didn't drop at E3; they were still making money.

Hopefully they'll make the PS3 actually affordable now.

For all the features it's got, I'd call $400 affordable. It's a heckuva lot better than Microsoft and the way they make you buy umpteen-billion extra hardware accessories and $50-a-year online service.

True, I hate paying for XBOX live.

Also, it would be nice having a console that doesn't break every summer.

If the PS3 hadn't been delayed I would've got one when they first came out.