Favorite / Best: Disney Renaissance

Gareth

Favorite / Best: Disney Renaissance  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm trying something a little different this time. These are the highly successful and acclaimed Disney films released during the 10 year period (1989-1999) known as the Disney Renaissance. I definitely know which one is my favorite and I'm almost certain which one is the best but I'll wait a bit so that I can properly articulate my thoughts.

Beauty and the Beast on both. It got freaking nominated for Best Picture. Not only that but I think the music is better as is the story and voice acting.

B&B for both favorite and best. Lion King is spectacular, to be sure, but B&B has so much character depth and mastery over the art form (not just in animation, but scriptwise, lyrically, etc) that it takes the win.

What they said, though for me, Lion King is a close second for both in a field of mostly pretty good movies. In fact, the only Disney Renaissance films I don't like are Pocahontas and Hercules.

Just for rankings sake and because favourite and best are the same thing for me-

1. Lion King

2. Aladdin

3. Beauty and the Beast

4. Little Mermaid

5. Mulan

6. Hunchback of Notre Dame

7. Hercules

8. Tarzan

9. Pocahontas

When I went through these I was surprised how close Mulan and Hunchback came to cracking the top four with some great songs but they're still a notch below in the end.

Haven't seen Rescuers Down Under.

Favorite:

-Aladdin

-Beauty and the Beast

-Rescuers Down Under

-Mulan

-Lion King

-Little Mermaid

-Hunchback

-Pocahontas

-Tarzan

-Hercules

Best:

-Mulan

-Lion King

-Beauty and the Beast

-Aladdin

-Rescuers Down Under

-Little Mermaid

-Pocahontas

-Hunchback

-Tarzan

-Hercules

Tom, I know Rescuers is streaming on Netflix Stateside, I don't know if your side of the pond is covered in the Disney agreement?

I think I actually saw every one of these in the theater, except for Rescuers. Between me and my second oldest sister, we were of the age to want to see these in the theaters. Hunchback is the one I remember the most, though, cause it scared the shit out of me.

My favorite and best rankings are roughly the same, though I don't remember Tarzan as well as I would like, hence it being so low.

1. Beauty and the Beast

2. The Lion King

3. Hunchback

4. Little Mermaid

5. Mulan

6. Rescuers Down Under

7. Aladdin

8. Tarzan

9. Pocahontas

10. Hercules

Favorite:

1) Beauty and the Beast

2) The Little Mermaid

3) Tarzan

4) The Lion King

5) Mulan

6) Aladdin

7) The Rescuers Down Under

8) Pocahontas

9) The Hunchback of Notre Dame

10) Hercules

Best:

1) Beauty and the Beast

2) The Lion King

3) The Little Mermaid

4) Aladdin

5) Mulan

6) Tarzan

7) The Rescuers Down Under

8) Pocahontas

10) Hercules

Favorite:

1) Aladdin

2) The Lion King

3) The Rescuers Down Under

4) Beauty and the Beast

5) Hercules

6) Mulan

7) The Hunchback of Notre Dame

8) The Little Mermaid

9) Tarzan

10) Pocahontas

Best:

1) The Lion King

2) Beauty and the Beast

3) The Rescuers Down Under

4) Aladdin

5) Mulan

6) Tarzan

7) The Little Mermaid

8) Hercules

10) Pocahontas

My favorite is Aladdin but I’m voting for Hunchback. Hunchback should be the best, it has all the right elements, good characters, amazing animation, incredible music and songs, and possibly the best villain in Disney history, but the movie is fails when is feels the need to succumb to the Disney formula. Not just the gargoyles but also all the silly slapstick comedy. I think kids can enjoy a movie without constant unnecessary jokes, throw in your ocasional joke and fill the rest of the time with more character development and story building.

It’s really a shame because this movie is so close to being fantastic, one of the best Disney movies of all time. All the right elements are there; they don’t need to make it darker they just need to get the tone right. This film truly has some of the best stuff Disney has ever produced, (Hellfire, holy shit!) and unfortunately some of the worst.

Anyway, I feel like most Disney movies during this period are missing that period of building towards the climax. It always seems like I'm watching the movies and wow, I'm already in the middle of the climax with no warning. So for best I'll go with Beauty and the Beast because it at least builds toward its climax.

Hunchback of Notre Dame is probably the worst choice of a source material for a Disney adaptation ever.

Yeah, Esmerelda ending up with the handsome hero and them still pretending it's a happy ending, it's really screwed up. Little Mermaid is all about self harm and suicide, so it's not much better.

Hunchback of Notre Dame is probably the worst choice of a source material for a Disney adaptation ever.

Just Hunchback?

Every Disney film is based on some F-ed up source material. All the Hans Christian Anderson stories were originally terrifying. Lion King is Hamlet. I could go on...

Anyway, since everyone else did it:

Favorite

1. Aladdin

2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

3. The Little Mermaid

4. The Lion King

5. Beauty and the Beast

6. Tarzan

7. Mulan

8. The Rescuers Down Under

9. Pocahontas

10. Hercules

Best

1. Beauty and the Beast

2. The Lion King

3. The Little Mermaid

4. Aladdin

5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

6. Tarzan

7. Mulan

8. Pocahontas

9. The Rescuers Down Under

10. Hercules

Frollo having the most dramatic reaction to a boner ever (aka be mine or BURN IN HELL), a touch of genocide (murder all the gypsies and burn down a good part of Paris!), Frollo's entire death scene, and the weird double standard in how they treat Quasimodo? Yeah, maybe would've been a bit more appropriate for a PG-13 adaptation. I was eight when I saw it, and it gave me nightmares for weeks, even more so for my little sister.

Just Hunchback?

Every Disney film is based on some F-ed up source material. All the Hans Christian Anderson stories were originally terrifying. Lion King is Hamlet. I could go on...

True as that is, Hunchback is the hardest work to Disneyfy in a satisfactory way. Which is why it didn't quite work, even though it has some real fluorishes.