Movies everyone likes but you

JackFetch

Time to get flamed!

Superman II - I don't get the love towards this movie. It does so many things wrong, including screwing up basic science. For some reason there is gravity on the moon. Zod has powers that Superman doesn't, which includes telekinesis. Superman has powers that he never had anywhere else, including his cellophane S weapon, and the ability to kiss someone and make them forget the last week of their life. Every time I watch it I find something new to bitch about.

Spider-Man 2 - I've talked about this so many times I'm tired of explaining why it's bad.

Reservoir Dogs - I finally saw this a couple months ago, and there is absolutely nothing special about it. It was QT's first movie, and that gives it a reverence it probably shouldn't get.

I think that's enough heads exploding for the first post. What are some movies that you are supposed to like, but just don't?

Star Wars

The Breakfast Club

Most Tarantino movies

Most superhero movies

All Wes Anderson movies

The Shining

Scarface

Napoleon Dynamite (I don't even know. Do people like this thing?)

I'd be here forever if I listed them all.

For some reason there is gravity on the moon. Zod has powers that Superman doesn't, which includes telekinesis. Superman has powers that he never had anywhere else, including his cellophane S weapon, and the ability to kiss someone and make them forget the last week of their life.

You just listed every reason Superman II is awesome.

I rather like Superman II but acknowledge it has a lot of flaws. However, the moon does have gravity. It's 1/6 Earth normal, and I think the movie does well in depicting that.

Watch that scene again and tell me the gravity is 1/6 of Earth. Especially the end when he drops the flag and it bounces.

Ha, I like almost every movie that's been listed thus far. Napoleon Dynamite is one of my favorite comedies, but I'm too tired to explain why tonight. It's fucking brilliant and I'll explain why later. I also really like Superman II.

The Avengers

Spaceballs

Look Who's Talking

The Amazing Spider-Man

Toy Story 1-3 (To some extent)

Billy Madison

Forrest Gump

Good Will Hunting

The Chronicles of Narnia (All of them)

Spirited Away

Galaxy Quest

District 9 (Also to some extent)

Liar Liar

Hercules

Quentin Tarantino movies

Lord of the Rings 1-3 (Again to some extent)

Shrek 1-4

The Adventures of Tintin

The Artist

Mission Imposible 1-4

I'm sure there are more...

Love Actually

Mulholland Drive

Whilst the title implies that this is a safe space free of judgement I have to admit I'm judging some of you hard. I mean, there's stuff in here I can use to invalidate any argument you might have at a later stage.

"I'm telling you the earth revolves around the sun"

"Yeah, but you didn't like The Godfather so how far can we really trust your opinion?"

For some reason there is gravity on the moon.

There IS gravity on the moon! What do you think causes tides?

Also historically Superman was always coming up with crazy new powers in the old comics. Just because he always has the same boring set now it's hard to argue that for some reason heat vision is more credible than Rohypnol smoochies.

For some reason there is gravity on the moon.

There IS gravity on the moon! What do you think causes tides?

There is very little gravity. Not enough to cause things to fall with as much force as they show in the movie. Remember the bouncing astronauts in real life? Why does nobody understand this? Watch the scene again and tell me they got it right.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

All six Star Wars films

Madmen (not a film, I get it)

Pan's Labyrinth (looks pretty, but it's so basic and generally boring)

The Avengers

Dark Knight Rises

Citizen Kane (overrated)

Pulp Fiction (way overrated)

Thor, apparently.

ET, sentimental pap.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, total bullshit.

Superman (yes, that one)

Pixar movies (so generic)

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Fucking Thor...what is appealing about that movie.

It's so thin that I worry when I watch it like watching Bale in The Machinist. There could be joy in the unexpected if you're watching a film that threatens to collapse under the weight of its own stupidity, I suppose.

Thor had a guy with a hammer beating up frost giants and it was a superhero movie that wasn't trying to be Batman.

I wasn't expecting Fritz Lang.

Also, I could not give less of a shit about the source material, so that probably helped.

If we're also doing TV then add Walking Dead to my list. I fucking hate that show. Also, Citizen Kane is overrated but it's still an amazing film, I don't think it necessarily deserves to be on this list.

Well, the list is "movies everyone else likes but you," so you shouldn't be able to determine what should and shouldn't be on my list.

But yes, Walking Dead was shit from the third episode of season one, and I'm the target demographic.

Thor had a guy with a hammer beating up frost giants and it was a superhero movie that wasn't trying to be Batman.

Okay, it had a few minutes of that, but Superman in Superman Returns took a bullet to the fucking eye, which is better than anything that happened in Thor and it's still shit. You're right that it wasn't trying to be Batman, but what it was trying to be was an epic film about redemption and honor, but it ended up being a film about paper characters with daddy issues.