Episode 21: Transformers

RSS

Despite all of our stalling, we knew we'd have to get to this point eventually. James and Damien spend nearly three hours covering the first movie in the Transformers trilogy, the installment that's inexplicably considered the good one. It's not. This show is not recommended for diehard Transformers fans or those sensitive to product placement. [ 2:49:17 || 81.6 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/tranquiltirades/episodes/tranquiltirades_021.mp3

Good show guys, Dub's epic rant against the lowest common denominator was a blast.

I'll just say this on Transformers. I had the toys as a kid. I bought the comic, in fact it's what got me into comics. I still consider much of the Marvel UK run to be worth reading. I enjoyed the movie, it's got a bangin' soundtrack, a risk-heavy plot and a pretty damn high standard of animation considering the standards of toy franchise material at the time. The TV show is something I watched bits and pieces of as a kid but for the most part it doesn't stand up.

What Michael Bay did was cure me of my nostalgia. My preconceived notion that Transformers was anything more than what it was were dissolved by Bay's misogynist, racist, militaristic, incomprehensible bullshit. And yes, the first one is the "good" one, and I know this because due to a streak of self- flagellation that rivals even yours I have seen them all, not with the hope that they would be good but with the knowledge they would be bad.

I've met and worked with Bay's target audience, and you're assertion that it's Bro's seems to be aiming too high. Our old apprentice Matt loves these films. He also only eats processed food. Nothing as adventurous as a stick of broccoli passes his lips. The sort of person who likes these movies was never going to see anything else because they've been raised on stuff that's so manufactured that it bears no relation to the real world or the human condition.

During that rant I was having flashbacks of working at a video store and the notable bros that would come in every day.

One of them used to bring in his little brother and yell at him every time he grabbed a movie or game that didn't promise random gunfights and nudity.

Maybe I should check out some old French Criterion Films. I have enjoyed Italian (Fellini) and Japanese (Kurosawa) films picked up by the Criterion collection. I am also glad you said French Criterion films not just Criterion because there are some films that, I wish, they never would have picked up.

Such as Michael Bay's Armageddon.

Some recommendations.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Contempt
Rififi
Le deuxième souffle
Army of Shadows
Diabolique
The Blood of a Poet
La Jetée
The Red Balloon

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Such as Michael Bay's Armageddon.

Some recommendations.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Contempt
Rififi
Le deuxième souffle
Army of Shadows
Diabolique
The Blood of a Poet
La Jetée
The Red Balloon

Thank you for recommending The Blood of a Poet. I did not understand it but the movie did make me imagine pretty far out stuff. For that I applaud Cocteau. Of course since the review of A Talking Cat!?! I keep getting Cocteau and De Coteau mixed up.